Author Topic: 1964 Series 1 Interceptor  (Read 4263 times)

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
on: September 16, 2020, 11:39:48 am
I've been a Bullet iron barrel forum regular. Looks like I'll be hanging out here now also.  :D
My only photo hosting is through FB which kills the links after a short period. When possible I'll link to my videos about this new project as they will stay up in perpetuity. Brace yourselves for lots of questions!

https://youtu.be/bQfouQhNFo8

2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 02:18:43 pm
One of the best-looking twins to come from the UK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mike Mason

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 07:13:52 pm
Hi. That's a great looking bike. Almost complete by the look of it. Is it a runner? I hope you get some miles on it soon and you don`t have the oil leaks and smoking problems I`m having with my 1960 Super Meteor. They can be a challenge, as I`m finding out. I`m a long time Classic Bullet rider now with my first twin.
Mike Mason

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:49:29 pm
Lovely bike - lucky you!

Frank

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 11:12:21 am
Not a runner. Parked since 1974 if tag is to be believed.
Carbs seized solid. Fuel tank blissfully clean. Magneto pretty corroded where the points reside. Assessment video coming shortly.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 01:04:06 pm
Link to video of condition assessment. I'd appreciate input on the magneto.
https://youtu.be/dDxqgj_JTi8

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 01:57:03 pm
Fortunately the Lucas K2F magneto isn't rare, new points and bearings are readily available if that's all that's needed beyond stripping out and cleaning the cam ring and the points already in there. At least they are over here, I think I found a few US-based magneto repair shops on the internet too.

Your options are repair, replace or go for some electronic gubbins.

I'd go with the first if you have the $$$, you might have to go full rebuild on it which would also mean a rewind for the armature, new condenser and may be slip ring as well as bearings, points and re-magnetising. Also check for wear on the cam ring itself - assuming it cleans up OK - uneven wear can cause variation in ignition timing between the two cylinders, though this can usually be put right.

If you replace it with another magneto (would that you could still just get a service exchange unit from your nearest local Lucas depot!) make sure you get one with the right rotation, check, but I THINK the RE twin magnetos spin clockwise at the drive end (anti-clockwise at the points). Other British twins' magnetos spin anti-clockwise at the drive end, same as the Bullet in its magneto-fired days.

Should you be tempted by electronic there are still more options, including a replacement drive housing with a Boyer or Pazon ignition (to name but two), or even a new electronic magneto from BT-H, basically CDI tech but still independent of the rest of the electrical system. I'm using the single cylinder version on a couple of my Bullets and they seem pretty good. But that's a way bigger buck option than getting your existing magneto professionally rebuilt, I suspect!

https://www.bt-h.biz/K2F--Lucas-Replica-Flange-Magneto

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
I had my magneto remagnetised and rewound for ~150€ and they also put a new condensor in. The cleaning and new bearings was something I did myself, but mine was in a better shape. I would firt dismantle the thing and see what you can do, but giving the thing to a professional is not a bad idea, as the mentioned work can not eb done at home an usually is needed, if not already done.
Best wishes,
Andreas

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 03:25:09 am
Okay, so what magical tool or trick to I need to remove the lower forward nut on the magneto to remove it?
Or do I have to pull the timing cover off to access something?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 04:58:55 am
Great find, man! It at least seems a cut or three above the typical "barn find" or "project bike". In fact, I'm getting a distinctly optimistic "Mustie1-esque" easy resurrection vibe...

Fingers crossed.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:15:03 pm
Okay, so what magical tool or trick to I need to remove the lower forward nut on the magneto to remove it?
Or do I have to pull the timing cover off to access something?

The timing cover has to come off so that you can remove the drive sprocket. Earlier K2F fitted twins had an adapter plate to mount the magneto on the back of the timing chest, as these were originally machined to take the Lucas SR2 magneto. I don't see the adapter in the '64 Interceptor parts book, but if there is one and it's secured on the inside of the timing chest you should be able to remove the three fixing screws and remove the mag complete with the plate.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/7700?qty=1&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F2905

On other British twins the K2F would be bolted directly to the crankcase, but for ease of removal extended studs for the lower mounting were available.

A.

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 01:24:27 pm
My '65 has the mag adapter plate ,  so I imagine the '64 would also.
The parts books aren't always too clear when it comes to ancillary parts.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:52 pm
Yup, it has the spacer.
I knew the brilliant folks at Redditch would not have engineered something so impossible to remove.
You know, like the Germans.  ;D

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 01:55:34 pm
A friend who specializes in vintage American bike restoration sardonically refers to British engineering in this way:
If the Americans can make something work using only 3 parts, the English will use 5 just because they can !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 03:56:13 pm
Or because they didn't want to re-tool for modifying components...  :P

A.