Author Topic: What's your thoughts on Loctite and other such goop?  (Read 2755 times)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 06:40:01 pm
True but you got to make sure you drill right, l am just lazy would go for loctite and good pencil torch, everyone has a bottle or two in their box, but what about expiry dates, l was reading on another thread some bloke was using from a ten year old bottle.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 07:06:17 pm
True but you got to make sure you drill right, l am just lazy would go for loctite and good pencil torch, everyone has a bottle or two in their box, but what about expiry dates, l was reading on another thread some bloke was using from a ten year old bottle.

A few years back I realized I'd accumulated more locking compounds than I could use in a lifetime so did some research on the how long it'd last. The general thinking was that as long as it was still liquid it was good. But the stuff is so cheap and you can buy it in very small quantity's, so it's probably better to get a smaller tube and use it up within a year or two. I have one large container of Suzuki Locking compound that I bought in 1978. It's just a shelf ornament but it has stayed liquid all these years.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 09:00:12 pm
Well that's the same problem with me,l have lots of compounds some l bought 20 years ago, but still liquid and all  paints, what about oil expiry dates, normally on side of can if expired to use or not to use, l have a couple of 10-40 l would like to use but not sure about date, it's expired.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 09:42:51 pm
Well that's the same problem with me,l have lots of compounds some l bought 20 years ago, but still liquid and all  paints, what about oil expiry dates, normally on side of can if expired to use or not to use, l have a couple of 10-40 l would like to use but not sure about date, it's expired.
This source says that the date printed on the side of the jug or bottle of oil is NOT an expiration date, it's the manufacture date.

https://www.blauparts.com/blog/motor-oil-expiration-shelf-life.html

Technically, there is no "expiration date" for lubricants that I'm aware of.  Only "manufacturers recommendations".  If you have information otherwise, please share.

I know that some manufacturers have recommended 5 years as the shelf life of their products, but I'm pretty skeptical.  Especially if we are talking about dino oil, that stuff was 50,000 years old when it went into the bottle.  If it has been kept away from heat and oxygen, in a sealed bottle, it doesn't seem likely to change its properties much in another 50 years.  I know that polyethylene is semi-permeable, but the amount of oxygen making its way through the bottle, especially if there is a cap layer, seems negligible.  Oil companies want to sell oil, they are all in favor of having you buy more, for whatever reason.  This company wants you buy more of their stuff after just two years:  https://www.lubricants.total.com/does-motor-oil-expire

Does this count the time the oil spends in the carboy before it gets put into the bottle, or the time it spends on a pallet at the warehouse, or the time it spends in back at the store, or the time it spends on the shelf in the store, or is it only the two years on your basement shelf that you need to count?   Count ME, very skeptical of these "recommendations".

I can't speak to synthetic, that stuff seems inherently more questionable.  Man made vs Nature made.

I'd dump my old oil into a clear container, check for sedimentation and separation, do a finger rub lubricity test, and if everything looked right, I'd use it, for sure.  I certainly have, and will continue to, use oil old enough to have been sold in a can that requires a can opener.   I should probably put what is left of those on Ebay.  They are old enough to be more valuable as movie props.

For reference I also use expired milk.   When the milk gets old enough that it curdles in my coffee, I make cheese out of it.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 10:25:32 pm
I will make two comments regarding Loctite: It seems to me that just about every fastener that can be removed and reinstalled by the owner of a KTM 390 Duke needs Loctite of various strengths, according to the owner's manual. I wonder why?  ;)

I don't see any of those types of recommendations for my BMW motorcycles. More often than not the factory wants you to throw away the fastener and replace it with a new BMW $$$ part that comes pre-coated with a dry blue thread locking compound stuck onto the threads.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 10:42:00 pm
Well l won't worry about the oil just use it, not been opened, regarding BMW it's normally blue or pink, whenever l have come across l just cleaned the threads and reapplied blue liquid, never had any issues with it. BMW bolts and genuine fasteners are not cheap. I know blue works and you can undo with a small torch that won't damage anything. You can run a tap down the thread to clean inside.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:55:44 pm by Karl Fenn »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 10:57:21 pm
Have you thought they might have shares in the company.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 04:03:51 pm
Technically, there is no "expiration date" for lubricants that I'm aware of.  Only "manufacturers recommendations".  If you have information otherwise, please share.

I know that some manufacturers have recommended 5 years as the shelf life of their products, but I'm pretty skeptical.
I strongly suspect that dates on products like this are put on more for stock control reasons than genuine 'expiry' dates. They are either covering their asses or they just want to sell you more of their product that you don't actually need.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 05:50:30 pm
Well that is what they have come to accept as business these days, l will keep mine test it on nut and bolt first, if ok l will use it.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 07:00:13 pm
 Some folks go overboard. Loctite is useful but won't cure paranoia.

Lurker on a Vespa

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 07:16:29 pm
No paranoia here we are just conversing on products.

Richie

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 12:45:45 am
 Ha!
Even paranoids have enemies!  :D
If less is more, nothing at all is the most.
More or less.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 03:08:01 am
I use a lot of this Harbor Freight stuff on my Bullet for just $2.49 (less than half the cost of the equivalent Loctite), and it seems to be holding my Bullet's junk together just fine while also keeping its mirrors from waving to and fro...

They also make a "Permanent" equivalent to Loctite's "Red". I do have a bottle, but haven't felt the need to up that ante yet. They also have a new "Semi-Permanent" one that I have not yet tried.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:22:28 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 11:54:13 am
Yea that has come down in price a lot, china are knocking it out now at £3 a bottle delivered all strengths on eBay quite large bottles at that, seems to be a copy of loctite.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:28:07 pm by Karl Fenn »

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 01:02:29 pm
This is the Chinese clone of loctite available on eBay for £3 including post a very large bottle of medium strength blue.