Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 282694 times)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #780 on: February 17, 2017, 01:12:54 am
Addressing issues on my Guzzi --- Removed and re-adjusted the shifting linkage.  Found that the splines for the lever were off by one.  Now shifts MUCH easier.  Also welded a new stop for the kick stand spring so it doesn't flip up when getting on.  I will have to remember to check for up before riding now.  adjusted the fly screen and went for a nice ride.  It will never be an Enfield but still lots of fun and a bunch faster.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #781 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:13 am
Got my old Ducati out of the shed  and went for a spin around the 'burbs. I forget what a nice motorbike it is sometimes.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #782 on: February 17, 2017, 06:03:29 pm
looked at the Guzzi sitting in the garage as the rain falls outside!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #783 on: March 10, 2017, 02:05:38 am

Took the Moto Guzzi out for some exercise.  Nice little 145 mile loop in beautiful weather.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #784 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:49 pm
Feeling alone on these postings.  Went over to the dark side yesterday and rode a Yamaha 650 V Star cruiser on a nice 60 mile jaunt.  First time on a cruiser for any distance.  Not bad but felt a bit awkward with the steering and peg position.  Great torquey engine and smooth up to 70 MPH.  I can see now why so many riders like them, however I never felt completely in control.  Much prefer the conventional riding position  with the ability to react quickly.  Will NEVER give up the Enfield because of the sheer joy of riding one.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #785 on: April 06, 2017, 11:06:17 pm
you find you get used to the sitting position after a while then all feels normal. then, if you're a decent rider, you can pile into corners on a cruiser as fast as most other riders. the seating position kills my lower back after the first hour though. I prefer the cafe racer crouch for long days.
my other bike, I looked at it in the shed when I went to get my longboard out. 
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #786 on: April 15, 2017, 05:28:02 am
Just finished up the carb rebuild on my...  uuhhhmmmm... Boss's YZ450.  (So, I'm buying this bike from my boss.  But wife said no bikes, so, it's a big secret.)   :o

My boss bought this 2005 YZ450F with an Athena big bore kit from a guy about a month ago.  He asked me if I wanted it, and I said yes, so working out an easy going payment plan.  Anyway, took it to the track the last 2 weekends and it had a horrible stall and restart problem.  So I tore down the carb last week and discovered the accelerator pump diaphragm was badly deteriorated.  So I ordered up an a/p diaphragm kit and gasket kit, and finally finished up after work tonight.  Took a few kicks and fiddling, but got it started and has much better throttle response.  Didn't actually ride it yet, but will be going out to the track with a good friend hopefully on Sunday.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #787 on: April 15, 2017, 11:32:33 am
Doesn't your wife know that dirtbikes don't count?

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #788 on: April 15, 2017, 08:36:52 pm
Fitted a tail tidy so now the tyre will hit the wall first instead of the numberplate if I back it in too far into its parking space.
Although now that I've decreased the length of the bike by about 4" I shouldn't be making contact with the wall at all  :)
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #789 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:34 pm
Bought a used stock Triumph Thruxton exhaust system for my Scrambler.  :o

As I understand it, the right silencer will need to be relieved a bit with my hydraulic press to fit under Scrambler rear master cylinder.

I believe the left silencer will fit fine, as well as the pipe which is said to be 2" longer than Bonnie pipe with a steeper angle to the bend up at end of pipe.  Silencers are shorter than Bonnie silencers. 

This will replace the high exhaust I now have to reduce leg heat, prevent rain pants melting, and get pipe out from under my leg for improved counter balance during sidecar cornering. I'll know more when I get into the job and see for myself.  I almost got it for free so I can't lose. It's a bit of an experiment, but I think it will work and that I will like it. 8)

Any thoughts on how this might affect the map? I am removing (and saving for later) an Arrow 2 into 1 system which came with the Scrambler so I'm sure the map is presently set up for that. :P
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #790 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:16 am
Over the last 2 weeks: I've rebuilt my carb with a new accelerator pump diaphragm.  Replaced a rear tube due to a pinch flat while trail riding last weekend.  Added some new Yamaha stickers,
 Replaced my radiator cap with a high performance cap.  And repacked my muffler and replaced the rivets on the hangar with nuts and bolts because the rivets kept shearing off.  She seems to be running like a champ now. 

Going out to the track tomorrow with my friend, co-worker and his wife, and the boss and his wife.  Bringing out my portable gas grill and going to grill out some burgers and dogs mid day with some water, soda and ice cold beer.  I must say, I am loving my new job.  Don't remember if I mentioned or not, but my shop sponsors Jewell Motocross and we get to ride for free any time we want.  So that's awesome.

Also, my boss ratted me out about the dirt bike being mine today at our Police Pancake Breakfast this morning.  And amazing, she didn't even say anything to me about it.  She probably put 2 and 2 together and said to herself "you irresponsible child."   ;D

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the beast.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #791 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:09 am
Lookin' good!

Also, my boss ratted me out about the dirt bike being mine today at our Police Pancake Breakfast this morning.  And amazing, she didn't even say anything to me about it.  She probably put 2 and 2 together and said to herself "you irresponsible child."   ;D

It's probably better this way...  ;)

So glad you're loving your new job, Scottie!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #792 on: April 23, 2017, 12:26:13 pm
+1, Scotty! The bike, the job, and the wife not killing you? Who could ask for anything more?  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #793 on: April 23, 2017, 01:59:08 pm
+1, Scotty! The bike, the job, and the wife not killing you? Who could ask for anything more?  ;D

A little more money wouldn't hurt.  Haha

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #794 on: April 27, 2017, 08:10:20 pm
Ordered all mounting hardware for used Thruxton exhaust installation on Scrambler rig. Now to wait for parts to arrive.  I don't want to disable my rig until I am ready to attempt installation.  Sidestand, and or centerstand may have been a concern with how they interact with exhaust but they have been removed during sidecar installation.

I have found that the stock (air cooled) Thruxton exhaust passes underneath the stock master cylinder which is at about a 45 degree angle and set further back due to rear sets.

The Scrambler master cylinder is level with the bottom of the frame and a bit below it, a few inches further forward of the Thruxton location with a couple inches behind it (inboard) where it looks like an exhaust pipe could pass through.  The only way I will know how things will fit is to try it and see...  ??? just as soon as my hardware arrives... :P

The Bonneville master cylinder is mounted vertically above the back of rear brake lever, so no exhaust clearance issues.  Also, as far as I can tell by looking, the Thruxton pipes appear identical to my Bonneville T-100 pipes. Silencers are completely different.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:50:09 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.