Author Topic: New sidecar installation new lights blown fuse  (Read 3839 times)

cctodd

• Scooter
on: July 19, 2018, 12:00:42 am
Just inralled a new side car on a 300 mile 2014 Enfield, cozy side car,  put a beehives tail light and a running light on fender, both bulb type. Buddy said don’t overthink it the running light and tail light won’t draw hardly any amps.  So I tied them in to the tail light harness.  Work beautiful,  used same connectors to make my split in.  Turn it on lights on for 10 seconds, blew the 10 amp fuse, before I overthinjpk it where are others with side cars hooking sidecar lights into.  Thanks

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:28:52 am
Mine is connected under the seat into the tail/brake circuit.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

cctodd

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:02:20 pm
Thanks a Grant, same deal, tied into brake/ tail light at the light, but drawing too many amps. 

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:40:19 pm
You may have a short in the wiring between where you made your connections on the bike and the sidecar. Those light bulbs only draw a few watts each, normally tail/running lights draw 5 watts each, the brake lights normally do not draw more than 21 watts each. One tail and one brake combined should draw about 26 watts total when both are on, that equates to about 2 amps. To find amps divide the watts by volts.

Remove the bulbs from the circuit the try it, fuse remains good add one bulb at a time testing in between to determine what the problem is.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

cctodd

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:39 am
Found the issue, in fact it was a ground,  when installing top marker light on the fender, I drilled the whole with Percision.  Positive pole was touching fender, disassembled drilled the hole bigger.  Reassembled no more ground