Author Topic: Inside the clutch cover!!  (Read 1743 times)

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
on: January 08, 2021, 04:58:41 pm
Well, now the engine seems to be running nicely, I thought I would get the clutch cover removed, both to fit an 18 tooth sprocket, and get the inner and outer cover off to my mate Big Al for polishing.
 He's been busy recently refurbing an Italian coffee machine, it looks like something off a fairground ride! I digress.
As I suspected, nothing was as tight as it should have been, Most of the components came off easily, the clutch centre needed pulling off, I do not have a puller.
In the olden days, Quoting my daughter, my mentor who put me through my apprenticeship, used to say, 'what would you do on a desert island?', tapping me lightly on the swede with a spanner! So, I put my brain in gear.
Bearing in mind it is on a spline, not a taper, I don't think it will need much pressure to free it, so:-
I drilled a 8mm hole in the centre of the clutch cap, bolted it back on the clutch centre, slid a 8mm set screw @3" long into it, then put a thick washer on it followed by a nut, placed a small bit of scrap steel between the bolt end and the mainshaft, and tightened it up, tapped the bolt head, the threads went slack, so wound the bolt right in, pulling off the clutch centre.
After straightening the tab on the sprocket nut, I undid the big nut with my fingers!
I am pleased I have pulled this lot down for peace of mind, mostly.
Anyway, the 18 tooth sprocket is now fitted, and I have tested a piece of 'o'ring chain on it, NO, it will not fit, it binds on the inner casing, no matter what side the split link is fitted, ordinary chain will do then!
I'll keep you posted on further fun.
It's metal, it doesn't understand!

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968
Saab 9-3 Convertible, 2008
not forgetting SWMBO's Z3 2002

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:58 pm
Do you have a photo of that procedure?  I seem to remember a vid where Hoohoobln used a puller to get the clutch center out and he turned it into a pretzel.

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:01:59 pm
It's all off now, I suppose I could stage it up and get a few pics.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 02:04:31 pm
Do you have a photo of that procedure?  I seem to remember a vid where Hoohoobln used a puller to get the clutch center out and he turned it into a pretzel.
Out of interest, do you have a link to that vid? I'm interested where the puller was located to cause damage.
If tension can be applied to the clutch centre by tightening the threads of the bolt as I described, just a sharp tap is all it needs to free the splines in a straight pull. The only trouble I have had with splines, is if corrosion, or distortion is involved, then it can get messy.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 02:05:29 pm
Yup, no room for an o-ring chain. In fact I have my master clip on the tranny side so the pins don't hit the inner primary. It's a pain in the ass but it is what it is.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 03:54:57 pm
Here you are -  :)

Hoohoohoblin  -  How to Replace the Clutch and Primary Chain on a Royal Enfield Bullet Motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biZSlTkPspo
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 03:55:18 pm
Out of interest, do you have a link to that vid? I'm interested where the puller was located to cause damage.
If tension can be applied to the clutch centre by tightening the threads of the bolt as I described, just a sharp tap is all it needs to free the splines in a straight pull. The only trouble I have had with splines, is if corrosion, or distortion is involved, then it can get messy.

The Hoohoohoblin video referred to is probably "How to Replace the Clutch and Primary Chain on a Royal Enfield Bullet Motorcycle" at https://youtu.be/biZSlTkPspo. The clutch center's removal (and damage) is shown beginning about 2:55.

The video is also helpful for showing the proper orientation of those clutch plates (especially the dished ones), which some parts and repair manuals fail to depict well.

In fact, anyone with an Iron Barrel Bullet might do well to grab a beverage and enjoy Hoohoogoblin's whole playlist of 28 Royal Enfield Bullet Motorcycle Repair  offerings here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFDF975F9231D6110, if only to enjoy watching him kickstart that thing in flip-flops in full-on home market Indian style.

Removal of my own clutch centre only took a couple of whacks of its middle bit with a rubber mallet, and it slid right off, but, as they say, your mileage may vary.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 04:24:45 pm
I replaced the 4 speed gearbox on my 350 Bullet Electra with a 5 speed. I bought a set of pullers from Hitchcock’s.

Once I’d removed the magneto flywheel, which was stuck on very hard and definitely needed the puller, both the primary sprocket and the clutch came off without needing the use of their pullers.  ::)
Paul W.

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 04:58:44 pm
I have just watched the vid. In his defence, he said the part was scrap, therefore as long as he got it off, it didn't matter.
I modified the clutch cap ,(the plate with the three spigots fitted that holds the springs in), by drilling a hole in the centre, allowing a set screw to go through and engage with a nut and washer, to make a simple puller out of what I had.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 07:45:12 pm
I think I now understand how you did it, pulling on the three spring bolts would provide much better support than would the disc of the clutch center. My question now is: Does the new hole in the clutch plate interfere with the clutch push rod end when clutch disengaged ?

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 08:02:28 pm
I think I now understand how you did it, pulling on the three spring bolts would provide much better support than would the disc of the clutch center. My question now is: Does the new hole in the clutch plate interfere with the clutch push rod end when clutch disengaged ?
No, there is nothing that engages in the centre of the clutch cap that I drilled, the 'mushroom' end of the pushrod pushes against the centre of the front plate that the other end of the springs bear upon.
If you look at the Hichcocks parts book, you will find an exploded diagram.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 04:58:58 pm
I'm waiting for Big Al to finish polishing the primary chaincase, inner and outer, I also gave him the gearbox outer cover to do, He really likes polishing!
So, I decided to put the chain back on, oh dear! it is now one link too short now the 18 tooth sprocket is on, a half link is now on order to put that right.
I'll keep you posted when Big Al has finished, (for now, the timing cover is next).

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 08:10:47 pm
Too short, hmmm.....how many links are on your existing chain?  Someone told me the standard for the 17 tooth sprocket is 94.

Black fingernail

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:45 pm
I don't know, but with the 18 tooth sprocket on, and the rear wheel fully forward, the chain, that is fairly new, is just one link short. I have heard of this problem before.

Enfield 500 Deluxe 1998
Benelli 500 LS 1979
Velosolex 3500S 1968