Author Topic: What did you do to your Royal Enfield today?  (Read 1855288 times)

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #8400 on: March 05, 2024, 03:16:59 am
Did some work on my top box rack.  I have a pic of the mock up I did out of 1/2" conduit.  Too thin to use but served its purpose.  Let me iball my idea, and get practice with the new tubing bender. 

Then I started with the new 5/8" (16mm)x .060" tubing for the final build. 

I hit a bit of a snag yesterday.  I was using (actually abusing) my 18yr old cheapo 4" bench vice, and it finally got tired of it and broke.  I tried welding it, but of course cast iron did what cast iron does, and refused to stop cracking when getting welded. 

Sooo, off to Harbor freight for a new one, and an upgrade.  I got the 6" Doyle made from ductile iron, with a 60,000 psi rating.  This ought to last me the rest of my life.

Back to the bike, the changes still doming to the rack will be two 90* elbows from the front of the rack that will curve down towards the rear of the pillion seat frame.  I plan on using nut inserts to bolt the front of the 90*'s to the pillion frame.  This will give me a three point attachment.  Hopefully this will provide the strength I want to support the top box, especially if on bumpy dirt roads.
Retired Air Traffic Controller
Current bikes are
2014 HD Ultra Classic (couch rocket)
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Handirifle

• Bulleteer
Reply #8401 on: March 05, 2024, 03:18:43 am
The pics are out of order.  Top pic is the 5/8 tubing.
Retired Air Traffic Controller
Current bikes are
2014 HD Ultra Classic (couch rocket)
2011 Royal Enfield Classic 500