Author Topic: Now work the Tripper Pad?  (Read 5050 times)

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:19 pm
Beeline Moto make something similar that can be fitted to any bike (battery powered). Not got one myself as I'm to tight to fork out but heard lots of praise for them.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 02:47:24 pm
Disclaimer: I am a gadget freak.
However, the very place I don't want any distractions is when I'm riding a bike. Yes, my GoldWing looks like an aeroplane cockpit but, like an aeroplane, very little of what's in front of me is actually used while traveling once you're happy with how it's set up.
The only time I need GPS is the last mile or so to get to an unfamiliar destination.

That is my feeling, also. What I like to do is to stop to take a break, pull out a free AAA paper map, adjust my direction and only check a GPS as I try to locate my exact destination in a town or city so that I don't get lost during the last mile.
 :)

Besides, some people that just watch a GPS screen sometimes end up in a lake or driving off a missing bridge.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 03:54:07 pm
When I worked over on the Bishop (East) side of the Sierras, we several times a year found semi-tractor trailer rigs up at tiny 8000' Lake Sabrina, located at the one-lane, twisty end of our section of State Highway 168, trying to turn their rigs around on the sloped concrete launch ramp. They thought their GPS had shown them that it connected thru to the 168 up from Fresno on the West side. Except for needing about 20 miles of tunnel, it would have made a great short cut...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 08:41:54 pm
AzCal you rang a bell with me.  Several years ago a plumber and his wife from Calgary were following instructions from the GPS to a plumber convention in Las Vegas.  Between Idaho and Nevada the unit directed them onto a gravel road which progressively got less maintained and worse. Tried to turn around, got stuck.  The plumber tried to walk out.  The wife stayed with the car for about 45 days until some antler hunters found her in the springtime.  She survived on raisins, nuts and melted snow.  They didn't find the plumber for about 3 years.  Very sad and tragic story.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 08:45:33 pm by mrunderhill1975a »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 08:45:25 am
Nobody has a map, cell phone or Garmin? I generally know where I am, or I'll stop & sort it out. I'm kinda at a loss as to exactly why you need more distractions when riding your bike anyway, let alone pay extra money for them. It'd be nice to have the option to leave "Tripper" off and save $200 in my book. We're selling transportation here, not an internet lifestyle. All you probably "need" is a speedo, trip-resettable odometer, MAYBE turn signal & hi-beam indicators. Gas level? Just look in the tank. Neutral light, really? If you can't tell if you are in neutral...?  Keep it simple, it's a 20 HP cruiser.

It's hard to get rid of the electronic gadgets, fully automatic production, little inexpensive material used, bit of software code...once the r&d cost is paid for these things cost next to nothing and can provide attractive or entertaining features. Besides of that the tripper as they put on that meteor seems to be quite well thought out, simple, unobtrusive, little, an actual innovation in the moto navigation department. Not something anyone might expect from RE.

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 10:43:56 am
Just read in MCN (UK) that RE are planning making the navigation available as an accessory across other ranges, presumably the twins.

Ferdi

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Chrome/ Meteor Stellar Black
Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 11:48:33 pm
For me, instead, as an interceptor owner, the clock function that is inserted in the Tripper Pad is also very interesting and this function can be set to always have it available. I don't like those watches attached to the handlebars and since I always drive protected by a jacket it would be very difficult for me to look at the time from my wristwatch.
Emotions are difficult to describe, better "live them"

Ferdi

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650 Chrome/ Meteor Stellar Black
Emotions are difficult to describe, better "live them"

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:20 am
For me, instead, as an interceptor owner, the clock function that is inserted in the Tripper Pad is also very interesting and this function can be set to always have it available. I don't like those watches attached to the handlebars and since I always drive protected by a jacket it would be very difficult for me to look at the time from my wristwatch.

When out riding my 350 Bullet I tend to forget the time....a couple of arguments with a worried wife later I decided I ought to have a timepiece of some sort. I bought a very cheap water resistant wristwatch and fastened it round the handlebars. Then I decided to go upmarket and I made a clock from the front of an old flashlight, which I modified on my lathe to fit over the stem nut and fitted a cheap movement from eBay; total cost about £6. As far as navigation goes, I generally follow my nose because I use the bike to explore back roads I’ve not ridden before. Then I look up where I went when I get home!
Paul W.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 12:31:16 pm
Said “timepiece”:

Paul W.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 02:00:27 pm
That's fine and workmanlike job you've done there, Paul W. But like I said in an earlier thread (https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29744.msg347956#msg347956), I kind of DON'T want a clock right there on the bars. I'm usually out there to lose  track of time. If my trophy wife needs me she'll call. Instead I've opted for a nice steampunk-looking $4 mechanical pocket watch that's been surprisingly rugged and accurate. I suppose it could also double as a handy compass on a reasonably sunny day, as described here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass%3famp=1 (with additional helpful instructions for our Antipodean buddies in the Southern Hemisphere).

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:08:08 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 06:54:23 pm
Good solution, and a very nice Zundapp watch fob too.
Was your ship pin from a cruise on the Mikhail Lermontov, I guess pre-1986? (МИХАИЛ ЛЕРМОНТОВ)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Mikhail_Lermontov
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 04:48:12 pm
I like the look of the steampunk watch. Trouble is, once I get riding the Bullet, I don’t usually stop to check the time...hence getting my wife worried that I’ve found the bottom of a ditch. It would take me five minutes to get undressed enough to find anything in my pockets. As for hearing my phone ringing....I ride a Royal Enfield Bullet... ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:50:31 pm by Paul W »
Paul W.