Author Topic: Notchy Clutch Cable  (Read 6943 times)

BC AVIATION

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: January 17, 2021, 02:02:55 pm
USed BMW = Royal Enfield  + $2500......

BMW are fugly to my eyes!

Cookie

For reliable riding buy a used BMW 1100 or 1200 with low mileage. Trouble free operation for a long time.

BC AVIATION

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: January 17, 2021, 02:04:47 pm
W800 is more money than a RE.....

Old bikes are a different category altogether

If you want relaible....Honda...any Honda

Cookie

Late 60's Triumph, BSA or Norton. There is that Kawa W650 or W800 I guess it is now. INT650 checks the boxes though. Too bad some of the components are sub par. Cables, relays, foggy instruments, ignition switch, gas cap, tires are what I've seen cropping up here. Mostly fixable though but you have to love the genre. Not saying Japanese bikes don't break but in many years/bikes I've never had one stumble.

Breeze

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: January 17, 2021, 05:12:43 pm
Or Yamaha Tracer 7.

I rode 90.000 km on MT-07 without any breakdown or vorher Mayor issues.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #48 on: January 17, 2021, 06:23:30 pm
another advantage the Japanese have over European motorbikes besides reliability is dealer network. Lots of 'em. good for service or if you need a part fast or if you are on tour.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: January 17, 2021, 08:42:15 pm

Royal Enfield plus $2500 equals Moto Guzzi

You can buy a lot of clutch cables for $2500

Cookie

Or one really, really good one! :) For me, when the time comes I'll buy a Motion Pro, for maybe $30.00 and maybe a set of throttle cables for another $45.00, and save the $2425.00. Not that Guzzi's aren't great bikes, I've owned a few of them and they were all good. But go visit the service department of your average Guzzi shop before you put down your dough on a new  one. The one I do business with always has at least three of them apart for major repairs and when I say major I mean crank out, major.  And parts seem to be just as hard to get as RE. I'd like a new 850TT myself, but I'm going to see how they hold up before spending my dough.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: January 17, 2021, 09:06:10 pm
What's the alternative to the INT650?

Triumph?

A LOT more $$$$

Are Triumph's 100% trouble free?

I think many of us knew and expected some level of shortcomings with the RE 650...The low price, means we can easily upgrade and stay within budget....

The shortcomings are way less than I expected!

Cookie

I'm with Cookie on this one. I've been riding and working on Triumphs since 1968. When the new ones came out I bought a T-bird, it literally corroded away beneath, so the dealer gave me a huge trade in on a left over Trident, which was the worst handling bike I ever owned. I still thought they were decent bikes so In 2003 I bought a new Bonneville, it was the worst bike I've ever owned, among other things 3 rear spokes snapped at about 3500 miles, got caught in the caliper and scared the crap out of me. The bike also had carburetor issues, ignition woes and charging problems. I eventually traded it for a Scrambler that also had carb issues and charging issues, that was replaced by an America that the dealer bought back at 4500 miles due to on going stalling problems, sound familiar? I had a Commander, the clutch cable would freeze solid as soon as it got cold, the front fender rivets weren't filled on one side, and working on the thing was nightmare. In total I had nine of those things, the ones I bought used were actually the better bikes, go figure. And yes, I still like them and think they build a decent bike, but I think the Interceptor, even with the issues we all know they have is a much better value for the money.

At this point I don't think I'd ever buy or recommend a new Triumph, in fact if I ever buy another one I'll have pushrods. BUT I'd have no qualms at all over buying another RE tomorrow, let alone recommending one to anyone that asks.

Yes the RE's have some shortcomings, they're a price point motorcycle so you have to expect that. But they're a  hell'uva bargain, the short comings are easily rectified, and they're easy to work on. Are they for everyone? Obviously not, but I think they're best all around deal out there. I'd also suggest, without trying to insult anyone that's posted, that every one of the non-RE bikes mentioned here have their own issues, some of which are way more difficult to fix than the ones that crop on the Interceptors.

chunkybutt

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: January 18, 2021, 08:25:56 am
Jesus christ, all of you need to get a grip. Every single forum post here descends into petty arguments and people justifying why they bought the RE over a triumph....

BC AVIATION

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: January 18, 2021, 10:39:51 am
Uh...It IS the Royal Enfield Forum!  What would you expect!

I'm sure you could find a Triumph forum somewhere.

Cookie

Jesus christ, all of you need to get a grip. Every single forum post here descends into petty arguments and people justifying why they bought the RE over a triumph....

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #53 on: January 18, 2021, 01:08:44 pm
Uh...It IS the Royal Enfield Forum!  What would you expect!

I'm sure you could find a Triumph forum somewhere.

Cookie

Hey! I had a Triumph.  Here is a good forum for those :D

https://www.triumphrat.net/forums/water-cooled-twins-talk.546/

Only 350 miles with my Continental GT 650... First off all, loved the looks and that is what got me started to look at them.  Then found out about
the price and I was hooked.  I signed up in a couple of forums and started to read threads on issues, searched on feedback, watched videos...

Then, because I wanted to get out of the house, went to the local dealer and took one for a test ride... waiting until then end of the year, to buy it, quickly went out the window.  Took it home that same week.

Based on the feedback, I changed a couple of things as preventive measure.  And, based on first experience with the local dealer on availability of accessories and parts (they had nothing for them, I ordered all accessories and several maintenance parts from India (and the price difference was a welcomed surprise).

I have gone over the bike, looking for things like the clutch cable that was mentioned in this thread, to see if any of the cables (throttle or clutch) was rubbing against anything, or touching the exhaust.  I greased the cables when I was installing the new levers... Checked bolts, wiring, etc.  All looks good.  I have been riding it at different speeds and have taken the bike up to 106mph (in a closed course  ::) )... and have not experienced any weird vibrations, all feels good and bike feel nicely planted.   The feeling I had during the test ride on the bike fighting me to turn, is gone, I can lean into the turns normally (so it had to be getting used to the bike).

So I am very happy with the bike and no complaints so far.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:35:03 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: January 18, 2021, 02:18:13 pm

Not every single one ;) But it's hard not to get your back up when guys that apparently don't own an RE post comments knocking them and suggesting their owners chose poorly. Speaking for myself I'm not a huge fan of modern Triumphs, and I say that having owned 9 of them, and ridden in a professional capacity just about everything they built up to 2006 or so. But I would never knock someone for buying one.

I'd also tell you that one thing I learned at a very early age is that you never should never criticize another man's wife, dog or motorcycle without expecting some sort of repercussions.  ;)

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: January 18, 2021, 08:08:50 pm
I'd also tell you that one thing I learned at a very early age is that you never should never criticize another man's wife, dog or motorcycle without expecting some sort of repercussions.  ;)
You should never criticise someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Then you can say anything you want, because they are a mile away - and you have their shoes.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: January 18, 2021, 08:38:58 pm
You should never criticise someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Then you can say anything you want, because they are a mile away - and you have their shoes.

That was the first good laugh I had all day.