Author Topic: LED Headlights for RE650  (Read 11333 times)

rider11

• Noob Rider
  • Scooter
on: January 07, 2021, 05:46:44 pm
Hey guys, I'm not really sure if there are any discussions regarding LED headlights for the twins. I tried searching but couldn't find any.

I'm planning to upgrade my Interceptor headlights as I'm not really pleased with the lighting it has to offer because I commute to work on my bike and it gets late for me come back home.

Earlier I was planning to do a simple bulb change but after doing some research I found out that it might be better to  purchase a whole LED headlight unit rather than just changing the bulb because apparently the reflector type headlights aren't suitable for LED bulbs. Not really sure about that.

Also, if I choose to purchase the whole unit I'm looking for some reliable, long lasting ones.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys,
Cheers

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:24:46 pm
I got the headlight LED bulb replacement for now...  It has been working fine, but I have only had it for a few miles.  But the pattern is good and better coverage.

I went with this one:  DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb

Photo with the stock light bulb in low beam setting

Stock vs LED bulb

Low beam with LED lightbulb

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:27:28 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:27:12 pm
Hey guys, I'm not really sure if there are any discussions regarding LED headlights for the twins. I tried searching but couldn't find any.

I'm planning to upgrade my Interceptor headlights as I'm not really pleased with the lighting it has to offer because I commute to work on my bike and it gets late for me come back home.

Earlier I was planning to do a simple bulb change but after doing some research I found out that it might be better to  purchase a whole LED headlight unit rather than just changing the bulb because apparently the reflector type headlights aren't suitable for LED bulbs. Not really sure about that.

Also, if I choose to purchase the whole unit I'm looking for some reliable, long lasting ones.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks guys,
Cheers
I have had great success and miserable failure putting an LED bulb in the stock housing. When it comes to bulb performance, focus is the main issue. The reflector is designed for a bulb that emits light in every direction. That is the opposite of what an LED does. So they compensate by having multiple chips. Then there is the issue of how deep the bulb sits in the reflector. A good LED will have depth and rotation adjustments that you have to play with to get the best performance. And finally, with the light output needed for a headlight there will be heat. Most bulbs come with a large finned heat sink or a powered fan to keep things cool. You have to find room in the headlight shell and may have to relocate some of the plugs and wires that are already in there.

The alternative is a complete replacement unit that removes the reflector from the equation but gives the bike a distinctly modern look. Performance can be amazing or mediocre, largely based on how much you want to spend. The JWSpeakers adaptive headlight is around $800. The one on my Interceptor was around $50 because I rarely ride at night.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:45:31 pm
Is that link the exact size? If so, I'm ordering it.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 06:46:46 pm
Is that link the exact size? If so, I'm ordering it.

That is the one that I used in my Continental GT, correct.
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:50:21 pm
That is the one that I used in my Continental GT, correct.

Ordered. Will be here tomorrow!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

aussie650

• Scooter
  • 2019 Interceptor..AUSTRALIA
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 09:46:49 pm
Hi All
       I have the DZG LED well over six months now on the Interceptor. Compared to the standard halogen, turns night into day. Great product.

Aussie650 ;)

rider11

• Noob Rider
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:11:47 am
I got the headlight LED bulb replacement for now...  It has been working fine, but I have only had it for a few miles.  But the pattern is good and better coverage.

I went with this one:  DZG H4 Motorcycle LED Headlight Bulb

I hope the low beam isn't excessively bright as well because I do not want to be blinding the oncoming traffic. Looks like a good option for the time being.

Thanks

rider11

• Noob Rider
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 07:25:25 am
I have had great success and miserable failure putting an LED bulb in the stock housing. When it comes to bulb performance, focus is the main issue. The reflector is designed for a bulb that emits light in every direction. That is the opposite of what an LED does. So they compensate by having multiple chips. Then there is the issue of how deep the bulb sits in the reflector. A good LED will have depth and rotation adjustments that you have to play with to get the best performance. And finally, with the light output needed for a headlight there will be heat. Most bulbs come with a large finned heat sink or a powered fan to keep things cool. You have to find room in the headlight shell and may have to relocate some of the plugs and wires that are already in there.

Yes, I too have seen some of my friends who haven't had any good luck with LED bulbs and some who've had success as well. Which is why I wasn't very sure.

I think for the time being I'll try the DZH H4 LED bulb and then later on decide if I have to go for the whole headlight unit.

Thanks

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 01:48:07 pm
I haven't seen any mention of HID headlights.
That is what I have used for my current motorcycles for the last 7 or 8 years. Still on the original bulbs and ballasts.
Superior down-road light penetration, super low power usage, complete color choice, drop in bulb/reflector alignment, lifetime warranty.
They don't need fans or heat sink tapes but do need to mount and hide the ballast.
I do a lot of night riding on the back roads for fun and on long haul trips. The pure white color range and 55W (5000 Lumans) adds contrast for much better depth perception.

They cost about $50usd for the single headlight Hi/Low kit. 35W or 55W
https://ddmtuning.com/HIDBIKESINGLEHILO
They also have a full line of LED and projector options. They are in the Los Angeles area. I don't know if they ship internationally.

I'm not recommending HID for everyone or as the only way to go.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

NJ Mike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:09 pm
I put an ADV Monster H4 LED in my headlight pretty much as soon as I got the bike in Sept 2019, and it's still working, and working well.

I used the previous, and more expensive version of this light: http://stores.advmonster.com/budget-h4-led/

I have a few sets of the budget version running in three different cars for over three years, and they all work like a charm. The pattern is well defined and the high and low beams indeed cover as they should. Drops right in.
Been riding since 1980. Live in Bloomfield, NJ.

Current Ride: 2019 RE Conti GT 650

Past Rides: 2002 SV 650, 2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport, 1985 BMW K75, 1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha Vision, 1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550, 1978 Honda 750F, 1980 Honda 650

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 07:34:41 am
Just a warning to UK riders.

Conversion LED bulbs in standard headlamps will fail their MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

So it will be a case of having to fit the standard bulb for the test.  ;)
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 03:16:05 pm
Hi All
       I have the DZG LED well over six months now on the Interceptor. Compared to the standard halogen, turns night into day. Great product.

Aussie650 ;)

Agreed. I've had mine in for a couple weeks now and it's a huge difference. Love it.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:16 am
Being a harmless eccentric and a neo-Luddite I don't like the look of the U.S. spec. headlight.  Too modern to my eye.  I think I'll replace it with a regular 7" seal beam. 

I never ride at night 'cause the deer, coyotes, and Javelina are too busy and somewhat suicidal so the headlight is just a daytime running light for me.