Author Topic: Tire/ Tyre recommendations  (Read 2159 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 08:08:43 pm
@ Reply #27: Judging from the clothing, it looks like the boys were sorely in need of some anti-freeze... ;D

@ Reply #26: The Bullet was rather "The best (off road machine) there was when it was all there was." back in the 1930's.  Modern dirt hardware has had 80+ years of refinement. Rather than worrying about breaking the bike, maybe dial it back enough that the bike doesn't get the upper hand... :o ;D  After riding my Bullets on Forest Service roads I have a real appreciation for the actual skill levels demonstrated by the early days International Six Days Trials riders. That giant flywheel is a wonder at finding traction, but that extra 150 pounds of iron and early days geometry sure ain't your friend. But it's still a fun ride when used within its operating envelope, and it definitely makes you appreciate your modern hardware.

Stinkwheels skid plate idea is a really good one, there's a lot of exposed alloy down there. The older guys I rode desert with liked to use steel (repurposed flat-point shovel heads!) as it slid over rocks better than the lighter but "stickier" aluminum. A bit of extra weight down low is not a big concern on these machines.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2024, 09:49:13 pm
“Traditional” style tyres , are you talking Avon Speed Masters ?
I will be receiving something that looks like the original Speed Masters. Hopefully they will perform as good or better.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2024, 10:50:25 pm
The totally standard Mk2 safety mileage on the rear and speedmaster on the front is absolutely fine. There is more grip than ground clearance, escpcially with the mainstand fitted. I have roadriders on my 612 because it is somewhat pokier and encourages a more spirited style of riding but I put many, many miles on the more traditional tyres without any worries.

Funny you mention the "stickiness" of the alloy bashplate, it is a real thing and causes some problems, it's something I'm also familiar with in canoes. Grummans are made of alloy and they really do tend to stick to rocks. At some point, I am going to glue one of those flexible nylon chopping boards to the bashplate to help combat that.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2024, 09:00:37 am
The bash plate I bought is painted steel. Unfortunately it took a lot of bashing to make it fit because it fouled against the drain plug. I had to cut a hole in it…..which exposed the drain plug. It now lives on my workbench.
Paul W.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #34 on: February 24, 2024, 12:42:14 am
I received a set of tyres . " Classic  Genuine 6 PR" made by Servis Tyres , from Pakistan. They were factory wrapped well, look good , fresh smell of rubber. I think they will grip well. I hand mounted them with motorcycle tyre levers. Now I have to wait for winter roads to clear.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)