Author Topic: 535 GT cylinder head tuning video.  (Read 8029 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 18, 2020, 09:28:28 pm
I thought this might be of interest to some. I have tuned a couple of these machines in the past, with quite good results, but this is the first time I have been asked to do what I can with a cylinder head for one, so ...

https://youtu.be/FyTY1hQoec4

B.W.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 06:57:27 am
Thanks for posting that. I've done similar work to mine recently. Not as much as yours, or as well, but I feel it's made an improvement. Mine was just port matching the inlet (like yours, there was quite a step all the way around to grind out) line the insulator up with the port properly and clean up the exhaust. I didn't touch the combustion chamber but maybe that's worth revisiting. It doesn't do 100mph (I don't think it's any higher top speed) but it gets there quicker.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:37:00 am
Thanks for posting that. I've done similar work to mine recently. Not as much as yours, or as well, but I feel it's made an improvement. Mine was just port matching the inlet (like yours, there was quite a step all the way around to grind out) line the insulator up with the port properly and clean up the exhaust. I didn't touch the combustion chamber but maybe that's worth revisiting. It doesn't do 100mph (I don't think it's any higher top speed) but it gets there quicker.

If you run it with the stock cams the stock head won't give as much improvement no matter how nicely you port it. Lift and valve timing remain unchanged.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:17:39 am
If you run it with the stock cams the stock head won't give as much improvement no matter how nicely you port it. Lift and valve timing remain unchanged.
The one I am working on will be getting the hotter cams [when the next batch is ready from Hitchcocks], with the inlet cam timing retarded, as per the yellow machine in this clip ...

https://youtu.be/IRr8P0TnbBA

I also tuned a green one prior to that, basically the same, but with the Hitchcocks cams timed on the marks ...

https://youtu.be/iO00SldM1J4

Neither the green or the yellow machine had any porting work done, so, in theory at least, this latest machine ought to have an edge over both of them.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 09:05:22 am
Oh dear, a sad internet troll calling itself Gibbons has seen right through it all and left a comment on you tube. Both Hitchcocks and I am done for now ...
'It's a make-believe carb conversion, with dummy plugs ans such, nor real and not a full conversion. Pathetic.
And, why would yo take a client's bike on a test drive in rain ...?! '
 B.W.

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:10 am
I don't get the point of the conversion compared to a PCV but his comments are retarded.... "Dummy plugs"????????????

Off topic, if you want to defeat the wind noise and your cam doesn't support an external mic, you can use a cheap bluetooth setup in your lid to record the sound to a phone and then splice the video and audio afterward.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 11:59:52 am
Just one internet troll takes you and H's down? ....concider yourself lucky thousands real life trolls there Sweden as well as internet trolls.

All busy finding theories and scientific proof that the wheel is a fake invention.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:17:38 pm by derottone »

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 01:28:05 pm
I don't get the point of the conversion compared to a PCV but his comments are retarded.... "Dummy plugs"????????????

Off topic, if you want to defeat the wind noise and your cam doesn't support an external mic, you can use a cheap bluetooth setup in your lid to record the sound to a phone and then splice the video and audio afterward.
Thanks - I have since found covering the mic hole in the camera with sticky tape does a lot to help against any wind noise.
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 01:31:39 pm
Just one internet troll takes you and H's down? ....concider yourself lucky thousands real life trolls there Sweden as well as internet trolls.

All busy finding theories and scientific proof that the wheel is a fake invention.  ;D
I am sure it will take more than he / she / it has to put me and / or Hitchcocks off, but whoever it is seems to have a deep hatred of anyone improving the performance of a 535 CGT in this way, going by this and other comments they made on another video about tuning  these machines. Wonder why ...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:34:29 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 02:21:10 pm
I never understood the YouTube viewers who hit the thumbs down button on what seems like perfectly good videos that the preparer obviously put a lot of work into producing. One classic example is how many dislikes that Itchy Boots would pick up and without any corresponding comments explaining why they didn't like the video. My feeling is that if you don't like a video, just don't bother watching it (or its ads  ::) ) and move on to something else. Why make the person who prepared it feel bad about getting dislikes without knowing why and perhaps how they could improve their next publication? But it does seem to be a thing. I don't think that I have ever seen a YouTube video that didn't have some dislikes if it had been out for more than a few days.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 02:30:20 pm
@Richard320: I assume you are old enough to know there are sob's on this planet that prefere to win by handicapping the opponent. ;)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 04:06:24 pm
@Richard320: I assume you are old enough to know there are sob's on this planet that prefere to win by handicapping the opponent. ;)

True, there is no question about that, unfortunately.    >:(   There are a great many people who would prefer to drag down others to their level instead of trying to improve themselves. And in many countries that starts at an early age and is encouraged by both the media and politicians, as I am sure you are aware.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 05:03:06 pm
OK, some bad people have internet access. If he makes himself objectionable behind a keyboard he may very well be just as "pleasant" in real life.

The reaction to the work of B.W. (and other serious old bike wizards) is enthusiastic/supportive enough where it really counts, from what I've read across various forums and FB groups (as well as most of the youtube comments).

Looking forward to seeing the test ride with those cams in.  ;)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:55 pm
Does Hitchcock’s have these cams on their website?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:01:03 pm
Does Hitchcock’s have these cams on their website?
As I understand it, they are hoping to have more performance cams in soon, i have my name down for one set  ;)
 B.W.