Author Topic: Tyre choice  (Read 11347 times)

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 07:30:10 pm
Ok sorry to jack your thread. But iv been wanting different tires also but I'm have trouble finding the Front :-100/90-18, Rear :-130/70-18. What other sizes will fit our stock wheels with out modifications to the bike.

This is what I installed and you can see more details on my build thread.

Bridgestone BT46 110/80 and 140/70

2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 07:33:57 pm
Well many bikes have fast or slow steering BMW have always been slow, when you look at bikes like the X7 or RD these can be considered fast steering bikes really all bikes steer and handle slightly different no two bikes are exactly identical, it depends on a lot of factors weight wheel size and a number of other factors.

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 11:07:30 pm
So are you saying "It's about the rider"?  8)   (joke about another thread)

I get the reference  ;)
What I'm getting at is when racing, closed track conditions allow very small adjustments to make noticeable changes.
Street riding (even fast street work) is so far away from the racing edge all of those little adjustments don't make a huge difference. For me it's adjust the rear shocks for comfort and when I mix it with friends on a mountain pass I move my weight left, right, forward and back depending on the corner. When we stop for coffee or a beer we talk about how well or badly we went through a certain corner, not how much money we invested into the thingamajig.   

BlackIce619

• Grease Monkey
  • California
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 11:22:08 pm
I get the reference  ;)
What I'm getting at is when racing, closed track conditions allow very small adjustments to make noticeable changes.
Street riding (even fast street work) is so far away from the racing edge all of those little adjustments don't make a huge difference. For me it's adjust the rear shocks for comfort and when I mix it with friends on a mountain pass I move my weight left, right, forward and back depending on the corner. When we stop for coffee or a beer we talk about how well or badly we went through a certain corner, not how much money we invested into the thingamajig.   

+1

I like the concept of... "how well do you ride with what you got". I have had much faster (greater HP) motorcycles and this RE has the power where you need it. I rather have less HP and then stop at coffee shop and tell my friends with 600cc or 1000cc... "What happend? Your engine not working for you.... "  :P ::) :o hahaha
2019 RE Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 12:49:52 am
Ok sorry to jack your thread. But iv been wanting different tires also but I'm have trouble finding the Front :-100/90-18, Rear :-130/70-18. What other sizes will fit our stock wheels with out modifications to the bike.
They must be around somewhere. It's a common size. If you get really stuck get them sent from revzilla.

FWIW you could go up a size and not notice any significant difference. It's no biggie. I'm running 110 and 150 size in rims meant for 100 and 130 (takeoffs from my track bike cause I'm cheap) . They look a bit stupid but they work OK. Edges are a bit worn out but on the skinny rims, I'm not geting to the edge on the street.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 02:30:35 am
The only things I know about them is that they are horrendously expensive and as a race tyre they will not last long on the road and unless you have good quality suspension you will thrown through a hedge long before you ran out of grip.
what do you want them for? Grip? there are plenty of other tyres out there with plenty of grip. Looks? that's up to to you, the GT is a slow turning bike and those tyre sizes will slow it down even more. Bigger is not always better.
When I replace my tyres it will be with the Conti Road Attack3 in OE sizes.
There’s no reference to racing compounds on the Continental website, and they actually refer to them as street tyres. I got the feeling that they were for older bikes that wanted bigger tyres for classic racing, and made specifically for older narrow rims. Also, my quoted sizes keep the relative front/rear aspects similar to OEM which I would think is more important per steering/ handling than simply tyre size. And, yes, I just don’t like skinny tyres😁
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 02:48:29 am

Bigger was an improvement for me; was using all the tread on OEM tyres and now I have a few mm margin. I think 140/70 and 110/80 are spot on for our rims.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 04:33:19 am
Bigger was an improvement for me; was using all the tread on OEM tyres and now I have a few mm margin. I think 140/70 and 110/80 are spot on for our rims.

Agreed. The original sizes and tires are just fine. But having to use the whole tire on a imperfect surface would let it scratch its way to the outside. Even then it was well behaved. These bikes really do handle very well.

But now using 110 /80 F & 150 /70 R I don't even think about the tires.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:53 am
There’s no reference to racing compounds on the Continental website, and they actually refer to them as street tyres. I got the feeling that they were for older bikes that wanted bigger tyres for classic racing, and made specifically for older narrow rims. Also, my quoted sizes keep the relative front/rear aspects similar to OEM which I would think is more important per steering/ handling than simply tyre size. And, yes, I just don’t like skinny tyres😁
https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/classic-classic-racing/contiroadattack3cr
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 07:32:53 am
https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/classic-classic-racing/contiroadattack3cr
So, the downloadable brochure makes a point of which of the tyres in that range need tyre warmers. It says the CR is street legal and no mention of warmers. Makes it seem like you're good to go. prolly best to run it by the tyre shop to make sure, I guess.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:03 am
So, the downloadable brochure makes a point of which of the tyres in that range need tyre warmers. It says the CR is street legal and no mention of warmers. Makes it seem like you're good to go. prolly best to run it by the tyre shop to make sure, I guess.
Seems like sense. 😁. As usual!

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:08 am
Welcome back. I was covid had got you.
Thanks, cobber. Had a bit of a downturn in life for a bit there, but I’m clawing my way back to ( relative ) normalcy.😁

grahamfirestorm

• grahamfirestorm
  • Scooter
  • ridden for 53yrs raced in the 70s and 80s
Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 07:31:16 pm
Just be very very careful when changing to a different size tyre,will your insurance company withdraw its cover in the event of an accident,especially a fatal one,think about it,the bike wasnt built with the wider tyres on.
boss the bike not the other way round.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 08:22:28 pm
This is what I installed and you can see more details on my build thread.

Bridgestone BT46 110/80 and 140/70

I used these sizes as well. Avons, though. They are rated for the stock size rims per Avon. Theres a rim size variance on each size tire