Author Topic: Tap,Tap, Taproo  (Read 1372 times)

ohio2006Electra

• Scooter
on: June 27, 2012, 11:20:02 pm
I posted this in the AVL section earlier but I thought I would be more detailed here. Two days ago I started up my bike with about 2800 miles on it. This was a cold start after sitting for about 12 hours and I noticed a tapping noise coming from the jug. This noise should not be confused with the normal engine noise its slightly different. Anyway it lasts for about 30 seconds then its gone. It seems that oil is draining from the jug and then once started it takes a few for the oil to reach back up into the jug. So Enfield guru's what do you think is going on? Is this normal or am I overly paranoid about my thumper. I do not remember this tapping before two days ago

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:44:35 pm
The next time you adjust the valves, wiggle the lifters in their bores. That's where my tapping is coming from. It will make the very noise you are hearing. For me that was 5 years ago, no problems. It started just like yours at about 3k, I'm at 7k now. Whats funny, is the noise comes and goes.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.