Author Topic: Meteor 350 launch video  (Read 8706 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 02:49:26 am
Re: Reply #10, Derottone:
By Axman88's sleuthing it's Bore/Stroke particulars are 72 mm x 85.8. According to my ancient TI-83, fitting an 86mm slug makes it right at 498cc. A "square" motor (86x86) has a better chance of spinning up into real power RPM range than a long stroker. That's what REs always done before - put a bigger slug in if you need a bigger engine. A two valve head isn't any obstacle to making real-world power either, just look at Ace's gleaming efforts. We are probably looking at the SOHC "homologized" 350/500(550?) single cylinder effort for RE. I'm wondering what the big roadblock was to adding in the 650's 6 speed gearbox. They had a blank sheet of paper, and that would have been a very nice sales feature indeed. It'll be interesting to see if RE "Hondas Out" and every motor becomes a one-off stand-alone platform. In looking at the exploded views of the new OHC "J" model & Himalayan, the cranks lie very close to the drive gears, so it may be difficult to add much stroke. Maybe that's why Hitchcocks just has a 460 big bore kit & not a stroker kit for the Himalayan. Anyway - the "650ish" left side engine case of the "J" model single says marketing has been hard at work to me.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:55:20 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 06:56:01 am
Re: Reply #10, Derottone:
By Axman88's sleuthing it's Bore/Stroke particulars are 72 mm x 85.8. According to my ancient TI-83, fitting an 86mm slug makes it right at 498cc. A "square" motor (86x86) has a better chance of spinning up into real power RPM range than a long stroker. That's what REs always done before - put a bigger slug in if you need a bigger engine. A two valve head isn't any obstacle to making real-world power either, just look at Ace's gleaming efforts. We are probably looking at the SOHC "homologized" 350/500(550?) single cylinder effort for RE. I'm wondering what the big roadblock was to adding in the 650's 6 speed gearbox. They had a blank sheet of paper, and that would have been a very nice sales feature indeed. It'll be interesting to see if RE "Hondas Out" and every motor becomes a one-off stand-alone platform. In looking at the exploded views of the new OHC "J" model & Himalayan, the cranks lie very close to the drive gears, so it may be difficult to add much stroke. Maybe that's why Hitchcocks just has a 460 big bore kit & not a stroker kit for the Himalayan. Anyway - the "650ish" left side engine case of the "J" model single says marketing has been hard at work to me.

Not unlikely S&S is already ready with the big bore kit and cam shafts, the only entity that may actually have an interest in doing anything to it. ;)

I can't do anything which is why I'm into different sort of barrels at this time. Not sure I would want to afford an another RE either. There is a limit to everything. We also have a baby boomer generation in Europe, there turn to do something. It better is profitable.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:51:24 am by derottone »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 10:51:30 am
My guess is that they want the SOHC and counterbalancer for marketing purposes. It is good ad copy for the modern buyer who reads magazines.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:02:47 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 11:13:23 am
It's what the emerging markets will definitely appreciate. The awful thing is that RE doesn't seem to have enough fantasy to come up with their own marketing scheme, it's a spine and ball less company.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 11:53:09 am
It's what the emerging markets will definitely appreciate. The awful thing is that RE doesn't seem to have enough fantasy to come up with their own marketing scheme, it's a spine and ball less company.
They have no remaining design connection with their heritage. Only the names.
Their goal seems to be to try to take market share from the Japan companies by trying to become more like them, but wearing a retro costume. No longer any desire to be actually Royal Enfield anymore.
The 101 year old company with no real connection to their past, but still trying to leverage the name value.

Even stealing the Fireball name, for whatever value they can squeeze out of that.
They are a sad lot.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 12:10:07 pm
Blimey! Cheer up fellas, soon be Christmas  :)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 12:13:57 pm
Blimey! Cheer up fellas, soon be Christmas  :)

I've become atheist.  ::) ...maybe till Christmas I may find new faith.  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:19:57 pm by derottone »

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 12:21:14 pm
How about:
Soon be time for Turkey- vegetarian
Soon be time for a pint - tea-total
Maybe it won't happen - pessimist

Want to borrow my gun?  :D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
How about:
Soon be time for Turkey- vegetarian
Soon be time for a pint - tea-total
Maybe it won't happen - pessimist

Want to borrow my gun?  :D

;D ...so long I don't need one, the butcher's are still at work. For everything else there is knifes.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 02:50:28 pm
   RE is no worse off that Hogly-Dawg, and at least they are still selling motorcycles that people want to buy. The 350 "J" motors are still an undersquare configuration, which is something. Markets change - note it's tough to find a decent flathead anymore! Both the Himalayan dual purpose and the new 650 twin street machine are jumping off the shelves. The Meteor looks to be mimicking the 650 a bit and may be an attempt to establish more brand identity that way, like the BSA "Power Egg" meme of the 60's. It looks like there is room to grow built into the cases, but we'll see. The Meteor motor looks more "Enfieldy" than the brilliant UJMish Himalayan 411 powerplant. If it does successfully grow to 500cc & find a home also in the Himalayan, that'll cut down on the number of different engines RE has to produce.
   RE doesn't create the market, they're reacting to it. Apparently their home market is the bulk of sales, so IF they read that one right they'll continue to grow. Meanwhile, I'll continue to polish & putt about on my new-to-me 1999, '40's era dinosaur with it's 50 year long supply line full of spares! - ACR -

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 03:55:11 pm
Of course they will succeed, the nordic commies are f@#$ed. They believe they can stop the world from spinning. And the EU doing it's best to stop it too, they want it electric and CO2 free combustion, every atom leaving the vehicle to be reported. In two years RE probably will be buying Ducati too relocating it to Turkmenistan, the EU doesn't have the guts to do anything other than demand and demand. If someone ships over something cheap they are welcome with open arms, more for the taxman. A nice way to rip off the local manufacturers and population who believes that they will buy much for their homegrown broccoli since they have been working so hard on it.  ::)

You  want to get rid of your money most efficiently as quickly as possible with ZERO return? Send it to Sweden.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:39:29 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 05:32:42 pm
All well & good pontificating about Nordic Commie nation nefarious plots & schemes, those selfsame Allied/NATO not Axis sympathizing nations setting about 3 minutes missile flight across the Baltic from actual Red Communist Russians, but how does that advance the (at least vaguely) Royal Enfield related conversations here? Are you somehow stuck in the Sweden/Denmark/Norway/Finland Hell-on-Earth? Should we try to crowdfund an escape plan for you? Is railing against some Swedish Corporate Oligarchy going to facilitate that escape to a better place or get you on a re-education camp checklist? Or can we get back to more motorcycle-ish related business on topics that are possibly more productive?

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2020, 06:48:12 pm
Well you tell me when Corona comes to a close that something productive can be done again? Once there is a wall around the Nordics so they can keep working on their exponential sustainability? I don't have much interest that it swaps over here too.

The 350 Engine looks ok. From what I read the idea is to sell it in Europe as it is, that means 350. If it's cheap enough it might become an interesting engine to be modded maybe to some higher revs than the UCE. What max size of bore will fit remains to be seen. Definitely more worthwhile modding engine than a chinese buy and throw model or a twin requiring deep pockets.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/453415/royal-enfield-meteor-european-launch-coming/

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:52:12 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 15, 2020, 07:55:47 pm
Forgettabout the Meteor - What about that Kymco Adventure Scooter? Who knew about that Honda X-Adv? Now where did I put my defibrillator?

https://www.rideapart.com/news/454018/kymco-november-2020-announcement-teaser/

https://www.bikesrepublic.com/featured/kymco-to-release-a-honda-x-adv-challenger/

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/11/11/2021-honda-x-adv-first-look-motorcycle-scooter-adv-hybrid/

I know for a fact that the thing to do when your Corona ends is to open up a Negra Modelo and have another ceviche taco - words to live by!

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #29 on: November 15, 2020, 08:21:16 pm
That are some awesome bikes! Can I borrow the defibrillator?  ::)