Author Topic: Can't remove my gear lever.  (Read 1931 times)

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
on: December 03, 2019, 10:45:39 am
I'm having a hard time removing the gear lever on my b5. I wanted to ajust it a little higher since i got some thicker riding boots and i'm having trouble getting my foot under the lever, but it won't come off. I've removed the bolt holding it in place complitly and it still won't budge. I don't wonna break it or force it. I'm doing anything wrong?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:45:31 pm
Tap a flat blade screwdriver into the clamp slot to open it up a little, this will let it come off.
Off route, recalculate?

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:55:34 pm
Tried that, didn't work. Do they loctite these in the factory?

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 08:09:21 pm
Spray some penetrating oil onto the shaft/threads, and let is soak. Tap if a bit to loosen and then do the flat blade screwdriver thing.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:19:10 pm
Right now i've got a screwdriver jammed into de slot of the gear lever all the way to the shaft, it's drenched in penetrating oil, i've hit a few times and it still won't move! When i try to pull it out i just a bit of movement from the freeplay on  the shaft. Any more ideas? I'm considering buying a bearing puller at this point...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:24 pm
How about just giving up and removing the thick rubber over-tube from the gear lever and replacing it with thinner, glued-on, rubber pad?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 03:05:56 pm
The screwdriver used to wedge the ring open might need to be larger, or have the tip ground off to do its work properly.  I might orient the screwdriver shaft parallel to the shifter shaft, rather than radially.

I might try putting something between the lever ring and the engine casing that causes the shifter shaft to move outward, taking up any free play, then tapping the shifter shaft inward to get it moving.

Heat applied to the lever will destroy any polymer based adhesive that might have been used, and also expand the ring, but seals can be damaged so be careful with that.

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 07:25:13 pm
Thanks for your input and advice! I finally managed to remove it by putting the screwdriver parallel to shaft and tapping it in to loose it. I then used a c spanner to levered against the engine case to push it out.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 07:40:06 pm
Great Success!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:30 pm
If you ever get a really recalcitrant one the safest solution is just get hold of a puller. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-Brake-Lever-Puller-for-Harley-/140986460537

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:02:34 pm
It's nice to have the right tool for the job.  On the other hand, a heck of a lot can be done with the simplest tools.

A friend was arguing with me the other day regarding why he could not rebuild his '71 Harley FLH engine himself.  "You gotta have a hundred different special tools!" he told me, "They show them all in the factory manual."

We had been having a little discussion of the relative merits of my RE vs. his Harley.  He didn't seem too happy when I told him that I had just taken a 1999 Bullet all to pieces without even ONE special tool, not counting my Harbor Freight electric impact driver.  Of course, things could have gone differently, I got lucky and everything was reasonably loose.

I'm also a big fan of KROIL, in my opinion, the BEST penetrating oil.  This stuff compared to WD-40 is like Maker's Mark vs. Bud Light.  Kano Labs will only ship to industrial addresses and you gotta sign a waiver saying it's for commercial / industrial use.  Good Stuff!  http://www.kanolabs.com/     I also use a lot of their ExRust product.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:03:05 am
I believe KROIL is just 50% acetone and 50% ATF?

Frank

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 03:08:43 pm
I don't think it's that simple.  Kroil has a different smell than that mix, which is itself a pretty effective DIY penetrating oil.  Interestingly, those ingredients are also key ingredients of modern formulations of "Ed's Red", the DIY gun cleaning solvent.

Acetone is the smallest ketone molecule and so very effective at penetrating, including your skin, so be careful!

diogo_sergio

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 09:49:36 pm
I used Ipone general use spray. It's a french brand which seems to be popular in this part of the world. The guys at the local motocross store recommended it.