Author Topic: ABS Removal  (Read 12616 times)

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 01:14:05 pm
Well they are now talking about making abs training as part of your motocycle training in order to get licence all the mot 's have changed since 2018 the abs check light is a requirement and subject to test, why exactly you need abs training on a fully computer controled systems is nonsensical because you have no control over it, the computer replaces the brain. Yet another thieving money racket.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 01:50:03 pm
Well of course with all this EU involvement everything was destined for a corrupted money grab, our own government are just as bad on the score, most abs systems are not fit for purpose the only thing the do is make the EU rich most parts are made there.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 01:50:30 pm
Sigh.

Lots of things are mandatory, yet routinely ignored on things like MOTs.

You're confusing the vehicle construction and resale regulations with whats actually enforced.

Have a look round any bike park and make a list of infringements you see.
I think you will find that many riders put their bikes back to 'stock' just for the MOT, and once they've got their 'ticket' back on go the aftermarket noisy silencers, small number plates, etc while other parts needed for the MOT will be taken off again. Some car drivers do the same.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 01:53:43 pm
Yea but many of these laws come from the corrupted EU, and a band of deciples they allow to operate in this country that's a fact.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 01:55:41 pm
ABS was popular long before the EU created the law. Because it is really useful. I have several friends who sold their bikes just to get a newer one with ABS.

Modern ABS like the Bosch M9 work flawlessly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:59:32 pm by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 03:43:31 pm
I think you will find that many riders put their bikes back to 'stock' just for the MOT, and once they've got their 'ticket' back on go the aftermarket noisy silencers, small number plates, etc while other parts needed for the MOT will be taken off again. Some car drivers do the same.
Same trap.

I'm not talking about the MOT. I'm referring to breaches of the regs governing manufacture and sale of motor vehicles.
Some things which would be 'illegal' to sell on a vehicle when new, are never checked thereafter. Lots of mods fall into this category.

Unlike, I believe, on other countries like Japan, Germany and Switzerland.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 07:25:38 pm
Same trap.

I'm not talking about the MOT. I'm referring to breaches of the regs governing manufacture and sale of motor vehicles.
Some things which would be 'illegal' to sell on a vehicle when new, are never checked thereafter. Lots of mods fall into this category.

Unlike, I believe, on other countries like Japan, Germany and Switzerland.

That is certainly the case in most states in the U.S. The manufacturers and retail dealers must toe the line or get hit with big fines, while their customers can get away with just about any modifications without any consequences.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 07:34:54 pm
Yep. As long as you dont live in the people republic of California. Or soon in Bidens republic of America.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 09:37:26 pm
Well he's running the show now, Trump had to take a back seat he's no longer driving.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 10:59:38 pm
Yep. As long as you dont live in the people republic of California. Or soon in Bidens republic of America.

Surprisingly California still does not have any yearly motorcycle inspections of any sort, unlike how car owners get screwed over with expensive every other year emission inspections. You pay for the emissions testing and then pay more for a state electronic "certificate" certifying that you have been tested. My car is 22 years old and has never shown much in the way of emissions, maybe only about 5% of which is allowed by the state. And now that it is over 20 years old, my understanding is that I will now have to pay more to get my car tested as it has an old type of computer connection that requires a special state program to access at an additional cost. What a racket!   >:(  Apparently what the state would really like you to do is to junk your perfectly good car and buy a new and very expensive SUV with all of the electronic gadgets that do nothing to make the vehicle work or drive better.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 12:42:45 am
Apparently what the state would really like you to do is to junk your perfectly good car and buy a new and very expensive SUV with all of the electronic gadgets that do nothing to make the vehicle work or drive better.  ::)
The situation in the UK is much the same. You used to see plenty of old cars on the roads here - rusty old classics (and British Leyland shitheaps too) and if you could still find the parts and/or could patch up or weld the bodywork you could keep old cars going for twenty or thirty years. These days thousands of perfectly serviceable low mileage cars well under ten years old are effectively legislated off the roads and scrapped while they still have many miles and years of life left in them - no rust and still mechanically sound. Are we really 'saving the environment' by scrapping so many perfectly good vehicles and replacing them with newly manufactured ones from factories churning out even more pollution? Or are we doing it just to keep 'the system' going and continue to line the pockets of those at the top?
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:17 am
UK Mot testers guide for motorcycle brake tests and the different methods of testing, As said, no mention of ABS here. So it is a case of misinformation and trying to force a point that is not valid.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/1-brakes
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:46 am
You missed point 1.1.10 in the mot:
"(a) Brake servo:

(i) defective or ineffective Major
(ii) inoperative" Dangerous

ABS is a brake servo.

And 1.1.21
(d) Braking system component modification:

(i) unsafe Major
(ii) adversely affecting braking performance   Dangerous

www.enfieldtech.de

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 10:22:20 am
I give up.

:-X

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2021, 03:58:05 pm
I give up.

:-X
With you on that!
even with the guidance and local experience viczena thinks ABS is a servo and still thinks he's right what a donut!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.