Author Topic: New Continental GT owner - have a few exhaust questions.  (Read 2805 times)

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Hi all, picked up my Dr. Mayhem a few weeks ago and haven't been able to ride it much due to weather.  I'm looking to get the S&S 2 into 1 Race exhaust that they offer.  Has anyone put this on yet?  I really like the look of the 1 smaller pipe vs the 2 and the added HP/Torque seems to be a bonus.  Just wanted to see if anyone had one yet, their impressions, etc...
Indiana

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 01:25:46 am
Welcome to the forum, where are you from?

Several members here including myself have the TEC 2 into 2 but I've not heard any real life reports on the S&S version.  It's probably a nice piece of kit.  I believe it incorporates  a CAT or two.  The TEC doesn't.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:29:34 am
Welcome to the forum, where are you from?

Several members here including myself have the TEC 2 into 2 but I've not heard any real life reports on the S&S version.  It's probably a nice piece of kit.  I believe it incorporates  a CAT or two.  The TEC doesn't.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! I am in Northern Indiana.  Anyone have issues with the aftermarket exhausts and check engine lights?  Link below is for the exhaust I want.  I've put on the short fly screen and have the bar end mirrors coming too.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/qualifier-2-1-race-only-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-with-black-endcap-for-2019-20-royal-enfield-650-models/
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:43:29 am
Everyone here has the Tec Bikes Stinger 2-into-1 exhaust and seems to love it.  It's a flow-through exhaust as well and less than half the price of the S&S.  It's well built if a little rough around the edges.  I went over mine with 320 grit sandpaper and WD40 then worked my way up to 1500, then buffed it to a fine shine with Mothers aluminum polish and a power buffer.  I haven't posted any pictures yet but will soon.  Frankly, if you can afford the S&S exhaust I'd love to see what kind of results you get with it.  Welcome to the forum.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:30 am
I've not heard of any hassles with respect to check engine warnings.

You can bet if that was happening someone would be yelling about it.

Nobody is very bashful here.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:45 am
Everyone here has the Tec Bikes Stinger 2-into-1 exhaust and seems to love it.  It's a flow-through exhaust as well and less than half the price of the S&S.  It's well built if a little rough around the edges.  I went over mine with 320 grit sandpaper and WD40 then worked my way up to 1500, then buffed it to a fine shine with Mothers aluminum polish and a power buffer.  I haven't posted any pictures yet but will soon.  Frankly, if you can afford the S&S exhaust I'd love to see what kind of results you get with it.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!  I will check out the Tec exhaust.  Where is everyone buying this one at? I had not heard of it yet and really liked the S&S, but if I could save some cash - which it looks like I could then I'm for that.
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:58:48 am
https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_2_1_Stinger_Exhaust_System_for_Royal_Enfield_p/re-2-1-stg.htm

Tec has some excellent videos on YouTube, including one on installing the Stinger.  In fact there are quite a few videos on the Stinger.

The Dr. Mayhem is far and away my favorite of the 650s style-wise, and apparently discontinued, like my Ravishing Red Interceptor.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:52 am
Thanks for the info. I found them. It appears to be sold out as well.  Did you have to buy the fuel booster plug as well? 
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:44 am
Watch the Tec Bikes video on the 2-into-1 either way.  The booster plug is something entirely different and not necessary to get the most from the Stinger, according to Tec Bikes anyway.  I'm not installing a booster plug because I plan to install a Power Commander or PoserTronic eventually.  There's at least one thread here debating the pros and cons of the booster plug.  It would be worth your while to do a search and read what's there.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 02:41:01 am
Blazes is right about the Booster Plug.  It's more of a subtle refinement in throttle response not a power aid.  I have one, it's a good thing but not a day and night difference maker IMHO.

BTW there's good stuff at Hitchcocks.  They're a sponsor of our forum and a first rate place to find good parts and knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:45:12 am by Jack Straw »

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 03:39:36 am
Thanks!  I will check out the Tec exhaust.  Where is everyone buying this one at? I had not heard of it yet and really liked the S&S, but if I could save some cash - which it looks like I could then I'm for that.

Just search "TEC Stinger Exhaust for Royal Enfield 650".  I put this on my '21 not for noise or power but for a drop of 27# of unneeded weight.  I'm rather (ahem!) elderly and weigh 134# (61 kilos) and the standard RE-650's weigjt  is right at the end of my comfort zone.  I clearly notice the 27# weight reduction and I also fitted 1" shorter shock absorbers.  As other have said before me, Welcome to our forum.  There's a wealth of information here.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 06:30:09 am
There are two  main differences in asthetics that favour the Tec exhaust over the S&S are 1. No lumpy CAT in the headers. 2. The left hand header on S&S passes in front of the frame down tubes and the Tec passes behind.
I cannot find any pictures of the S&S exhaust fitted showing the l/h pipe. I wonder why?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 11:58:42 am

Don't know much about these as regards availability, price, etc.
https://img.indianautosblog.com/2019/05/23/royal-enfield-interceptor-int-650-termignoni-exhau-5cf2.jpg
I do like their approach to where they route the cross-over in the middle of the run.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 01:18:40 pm
Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback. I'm going to call Tec today to see what lead time is on their exhaust.  I do like the less weight appeal. I'm 5'10 and weigh 150.  Any less weight on this bike will help.  I only knew about the S&S 2 into 1 because that's all I saw when doing a quick search.  I can get it for $749, but it's still a lot and plus I'd want the reusable air filter too. 

I don't like the look of the higher exhaust they use on the on/off road looking bikes...
Indiana

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 02:18:33 pm
Pic of my bikes.
Indiana

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 02:40:11 pm
Pic of my bikes.
That photo easily equals two thousand words ;D.
That from a fellow member of the Odd Duck Society.
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 03:47:47 pm
On the S&S site there are so many warnings and disclaimers and conditions to purchasing the darned thing that it makes you wonder if they actually WANT to sell the the suckers.   Could the 2 into 1 they show actually be the exhaust version of vaporware???

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 04:55:31 pm
On the S&S site there are so many warnings and disclaimers and conditions to purchasing the darned thing that it makes you wonder if they actually WANT to sell the the suckers.   Could the 2 into 1 they show actually be the exhaust version of vaporware???
Their website says,"COMING SOON".

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 05:21:08 pm
Their website says,"COMING SOON".

Yeah, sure.   Next they'll be be selling "purchase reservations".  I'll wait here.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 05:27:15 pm
The S&S is in stock at various places. I can get one here in a couple days if wanted.  I am calling Tek today though to see what their ETA is on their pipe.

Wonder what the advantage of having a cat on the pipe vs. no cat.
Indiana

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 05:39:36 pm
It makes you wonder, S&S show a race only exhaust on a road bike, why would a race bike want Cats in the exhaust.
I suppose it's just emission regs butt covering BS so they flog these exhausts to road users and keep on the right side of the law.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 05:45:27 pm
It's good to hear that they can actually be purchased.  The skeptic in me wonders if they can be delivered though.  OK, I'll STFU. ::)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:33 am

Don't know much about these as regards availability, price, etc.
https://img.indianautosblog.com/2019/05/23/royal-enfield-interceptor-int-650-termignoni-exhau-5cf2.jpg
I do like their approach to where they route the cross-over in the middle of the run.

That is a good looking exhaust! Having heard many Termignoni exhausts on Ducatis I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks. The lack of a heat shield right where your leg goes is a little disconcerting. Also are the pipes just changing direction or is there actually a connection between them?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 01:39:00 am
That is a good looking exhaust! Having heard many Termignoni exhausts on Ducatis I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks. The lack of a heat shield right where your leg goes is a little disconcerting. Also are the pipes just changing direction or is there actually a connection between them?
I wondered the same thing. It would not surprise me if they did. If not _ it would be so easy to invisibly join them right at that spot.

Fred Gassit

• Scooter
  • Interceptor 650, UK
Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 09:57:34 am
Termi teased those prototype pics back in 2019, but 2 years on they still haven't got anywhere near production. Covid delays blah blah.

Steve Jackson

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 11:19:07 pm
Hi, thanks for the welcome! I am in Northern Indiana.  Anyone have issues with the aftermarket exhausts and check engine lights?  Link below is for the exhaust I want.  I've put on the short fly screen and have the bar end mirrors coming too.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/qualifier-2-1-race-only-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-with-black-endcap-for-2019-20-royal-enfield-650-models/
I'm in Granger Indiana near South Bend. Where are you located?
We're not happy till you're not happy.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 11:41:49 pm
I'm in Granger Indiana near South Bend. Where are you located?

I’m in Wabash. Not too far. I’ve been to Goshen and Granger many times. I also had a Janus for 5 years.
Indiana