Author Topic: New Continental GT owner - have a few exhaust questions.  (Read 2813 times)

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Hi all, picked up my Dr. Mayhem a few weeks ago and haven't been able to ride it much due to weather.  I'm looking to get the S&S 2 into 1 Race exhaust that they offer.  Has anyone put this on yet?  I really like the look of the 1 smaller pipe vs the 2 and the added HP/Torque seems to be a bonus.  Just wanted to see if anyone had one yet, their impressions, etc...
Indiana

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 01:25:46 am
Welcome to the forum, where are you from?

Several members here including myself have the TEC 2 into 2 but I've not heard any real life reports on the S&S version.  It's probably a nice piece of kit.  I believe it incorporates  a CAT or two.  The TEC doesn't.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:29:34 am
Welcome to the forum, where are you from?

Several members here including myself have the TEC 2 into 2 but I've not heard any real life reports on the S&S version.  It's probably a nice piece of kit.  I believe it incorporates  a CAT or two.  The TEC doesn't.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! I am in Northern Indiana.  Anyone have issues with the aftermarket exhausts and check engine lights?  Link below is for the exhaust I want.  I've put on the short fly screen and have the bar end mirrors coming too.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/qualifier-2-1-race-only-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-with-black-endcap-for-2019-20-royal-enfield-650-models/
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 01:43:29 am
Everyone here has the Tec Bikes Stinger 2-into-1 exhaust and seems to love it.  It's a flow-through exhaust as well and less than half the price of the S&S.  It's well built if a little rough around the edges.  I went over mine with 320 grit sandpaper and WD40 then worked my way up to 1500, then buffed it to a fine shine with Mothers aluminum polish and a power buffer.  I haven't posted any pictures yet but will soon.  Frankly, if you can afford the S&S exhaust I'd love to see what kind of results you get with it.  Welcome to the forum.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:30 am
I've not heard of any hassles with respect to check engine warnings.

You can bet if that was happening someone would be yelling about it.

Nobody is very bashful here.

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:45 am
Everyone here has the Tec Bikes Stinger 2-into-1 exhaust and seems to love it.  It's a flow-through exhaust as well and less than half the price of the S&S.  It's well built if a little rough around the edges.  I went over mine with 320 grit sandpaper and WD40 then worked my way up to 1500, then buffed it to a fine shine with Mothers aluminum polish and a power buffer.  I haven't posted any pictures yet but will soon.  Frankly, if you can afford the S&S exhaust I'd love to see what kind of results you get with it.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!  I will check out the Tec exhaust.  Where is everyone buying this one at? I had not heard of it yet and really liked the S&S, but if I could save some cash - which it looks like I could then I'm for that.
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:58:48 am
https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_2_1_Stinger_Exhaust_System_for_Royal_Enfield_p/re-2-1-stg.htm

Tec has some excellent videos on YouTube, including one on installing the Stinger.  In fact there are quite a few videos on the Stinger.

The Dr. Mayhem is far and away my favorite of the 650s style-wise, and apparently discontinued, like my Ravishing Red Interceptor.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:52 am
Thanks for the info. I found them. It appears to be sold out as well.  Did you have to buy the fuel booster plug as well? 
Indiana

Blazes Boylan

• Grand Gearhead
  • Brooklyn
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:44 am
Watch the Tec Bikes video on the 2-into-1 either way.  The booster plug is something entirely different and not necessary to get the most from the Stinger, according to Tec Bikes anyway.  I'm not installing a booster plug because I plan to install a Power Commander or PoserTronic eventually.  There's at least one thread here debating the pros and cons of the booster plug.  It would be worth your while to do a search and read what's there.

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 02:41:01 am
Blazes is right about the Booster Plug.  It's more of a subtle refinement in throttle response not a power aid.  I have one, it's a good thing but not a day and night difference maker IMHO.

BTW there's good stuff at Hitchcocks.  They're a sponsor of our forum and a first rate place to find good parts and knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:45:12 am by Jack Straw »

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 03:39:36 am
Thanks!  I will check out the Tec exhaust.  Where is everyone buying this one at? I had not heard of it yet and really liked the S&S, but if I could save some cash - which it looks like I could then I'm for that.

Just search "TEC Stinger Exhaust for Royal Enfield 650".  I put this on my '21 not for noise or power but for a drop of 27# of unneeded weight.  I'm rather (ahem!) elderly and weigh 134# (61 kilos) and the standard RE-650's weigjt  is right at the end of my comfort zone.  I clearly notice the 27# weight reduction and I also fitted 1" shorter shock absorbers.  As other have said before me, Welcome to our forum.  There's a wealth of information here.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 06:30:09 am
There are two  main differences in asthetics that favour the Tec exhaust over the S&S are 1. No lumpy CAT in the headers. 2. The left hand header on S&S passes in front of the frame down tubes and the Tec passes behind.
I cannot find any pictures of the S&S exhaust fitted showing the l/h pipe. I wonder why?
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 11:58:42 am

Don't know much about these as regards availability, price, etc.
https://img.indianautosblog.com/2019/05/23/royal-enfield-interceptor-int-650-termignoni-exhau-5cf2.jpg
I do like their approach to where they route the cross-over in the middle of the run.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

glhboy

• Indiana
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 01:18:40 pm
Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback. I'm going to call Tec today to see what lead time is on their exhaust.  I do like the less weight appeal. I'm 5'10 and weigh 150.  Any less weight on this bike will help.  I only knew about the S&S 2 into 1 because that's all I saw when doing a quick search.  I can get it for $749, but it's still a lot and plus I'd want the reusable air filter too. 

I don't like the look of the higher exhaust they use on the on/off road looking bikes...
Indiana