Author Topic: Bar end mirrors  (Read 24518 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
on: November 18, 2019, 11:33:44 pm
As you are probably aware, RE fills the end of the bar with metal so you have somewhere to screw the bar end into. That means that any expanding style bar end mirror isn't going to work. There are others that claim to fit "most bar ends". They won't fit over our aluminum lumps. That put me off of ordering anything online. So off I went to Cyclegear. They had them. $40 for one, $50 for two.  ??? What I did was to use the ring that came with the mirror, plus the stock mounting bolt. The ring is countersunk so it all fits! I now have 180 degrees of rear view. Plus they look better!

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:40:29 pm
A different view

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 12:23:15 am
Did the same with great success ????
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 03:37:30 pm
I put these on recently. So much better than the bugeye OEM. I love the wide open unobstructed forward view, and I prefer the bar end rear view anyway.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:53:20 pm
A different view

Great - I've been looking to do the same since I got my INT 650 a few weeks back. Was waiting for the ones on Tecbikeparts but the USA site never got back to me. Will look at the Cycle Gear ones.

Also, what bags are you running in the back? Are those the Ogio Stealth saddlebags? I have the Ogio tail bag and I like it, and am thinking of adding their saddlebags for a three-bag weekend solution.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 04:16:26 pm
A different view

I like the two-tone tank.
On my bar ends mirrors I had to hand-file the part that wants to fit flush against the aluminum handlebar plug because it is beveled to prevent rotation, I assume. I used slightly longer SS bolts and put some blue loctite on the threading. They're not going anywhere.

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:16 pm
I like the two-tone tank.
On my bar ends mirrors I had to hand-file the part that wants to fit flush against the aluminum handlebar plug because it is beveled to prevent rotation, I assume. I used slightly longer SS bolts and put some blue loctite on the threading. They're not going anywhere.

I didn't have to file anything and I didn't have any locktite with me. I changed them in the Cyclegrear parking lot in case they didn't work.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 10:40:18 pm
Great - I've been looking to do the same since I got my INT 650 a few weeks back. Was waiting for the ones on Tecbikeparts but the USA site never got back to me. Will look at the Cycle Gear ones.

Also, what bags are you running in the back? Are those the Ogio Stealth saddlebags? I have the Ogio tail bag and I like it, and am thinking of adding their saddlebags for a three-bag weekend solution.

The bags are Amazon. $59.99 from JFG Racing.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 02:58:38 pm
The bags are Amazon. $59.99 from JFG Racing.

Nice, thanks for the reply. No issues with heat from the exhausts?

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 05:17:40 pm
Nice, thanks for the reply. No issues with heat from the exhausts?

None at all. There are several inches of clearance.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 07:22:55 pm

Sorry for changing the thread, but wanted to refer to this photo.

I see you have installed the Trip Machine leather wrap grips.  I've put these on my cafe racer...they are just great!

I also noticed you used some sort of copper wire to make a retainer to hold the grip from unraveling(I think?)

At first I though you wrapped the leather form center to outboard, but by closer observation, I see you did it from outboard toward center.  The latter, I believe is the preferred way.  From years with racing bicycles, I learned you must always wrap bars from outside to center, or else you will eventually curl up all the edges as you move and slide your hands around the bars.  Probably not so critical on a motorcycle where your hands tend to stay pretty much put in one place.

FYI....couple of finer points FWIW.....to retain the wrap, I got some dark brown, waxed cord, from a crafts store.  I made 5 wraps around the end of the leather to hold it in place.  I did what is called a wipping knot, to hold the cord.  Looks nice.

I also tapered the leather strip at both ends, (at the start of the wrap, and again at the finish) to get it to lie down perfectly flat.  The Trip Machine video, (and Fillingham's too) show the leather wrap just ending, squared off, and using some little tabs of double sided tape to finish the end...it leaves quite a thick lump, looks bad and unfinished, and seems like it could unravel.  By tapering the finish end, and "wipping it) it just blends in smoothly!

I did two of my other bikes using tennis racket handle wrap from a company called Tourna.  This is very similar to Trip Machine's product....100% "real" leather.  If you are careful, you can do two grips with one roll of Tourna...making it quite a bit less expensive than the Trip Machine product. 

I will say however, the Trip product is just slightly superior in quality and "looks".

Cookie

A different view

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:14 pm

Sorry for changing the thread, but wanted to refer to this photo.

I see you have installed the Trip Machine leather wrap grips.  I've put these on my cafe racer...they are just great!

I also noticed you used some sort of copper wire to make a retainer to hold the grip from unraveling(I think?)

At first I though you wrapped the leather form center to outboard, but by closer observation, I see you did it from outboard toward center.  The latter, I believe is the preferred way.  From years with racing bicycles, I learned you must always wrap bars from outside to center, or else you will eventually curl up all the edges as you move and slide your hands around the bars.  Probably not so critical on a motorcycle where your hands tend to stay pretty much put in one place.

FYI....couple of finer points FWIW.....to retain the wrap, I got some dark brown, waxed cord, from a crafts store.  I made 5 wraps around the end of the leather to hold it in place.  I did what is called a wipping knot, to hold the cord.  Looks nice.

I also tapered the leather strip at both ends, (at the start of the wrap, and again at the finish) to get it to lie down perfectly flat.  The Trip Machine video, (and Fillingham's too) show the leather wrap just ending, squared off, and using some little tabs of double sided tape to finish the end...it leaves quite a thick lump, looks bad and unfinished, and seems like it could unravel.  By tapering the finish end, and "wipping it) it just blends in smoothly!

I did two of my other bikes using tennis racket handle wrap from a company called Tourna.  This is very similar to Trip Machine's product....100% "real" leather.  If you are careful, you can do two grips with one roll of Tourna...making it quite a bit less expensive than the Trip Machine product. 

I will say however, the Trip product is just slightly superior in quality and "looks".

Cookie

The copper wire was the racer trick to hold grips in place. They normally use stainless but I thought the copper looked better. The lumpy non-stick tape from Trip Machine that is supposed to hold the end, simply doesn't stick to leather so I used some superglue. Trip Machine wrote and asked how I liked the wraps. I told them about glue vs tape. They wrote back a bit later and said they now include glue instead of tape for the end. The wire was just going to be until the glue dried but I liked the way it looked so I kept it.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 09:19:37 pm
Yes the copper has a nice look to it!

Glue would be a lot better way (than the double tap pieces) to hold down the loose end.   But wrapping with copper, or stainless wire, or waxed cord, does allow the leather to be removed and re positioned if necessary.  I had one grip where I was shy on the overlap and a gap formed.....I just untied the cord, re wrapped paying better attention to a consistent overlap, and re wrapped the cord.

The copper wire was the racer trick to hold grips in place. They normally use stainless but I thought the copper looked better. The lumpy non-stick tape from Trip Machine that is supposed to hold the end, simply doesn't stick to leather so I used some superglue. Trip Machine wrote and asked how I liked the wraps. I told them about glue vs tape. They wrote back a bit later and said they now include glue instead of tape for the end. The wire was just going to be until the glue dried but I liked the way it looked so I kept it.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 09:23:06 pm
Yes the copper has a nice look to it!

Glue would be a lot better way (than the double tap pieces) to hold down the loose end.   But wrapping with copper, or stainless wire, or waxed cord, does allow the leather to be removed and re positioned if necessary.  I had one grip where I was shy on the overlap and a gap formed.....I just untied the cord, re wrapped paying better attention to a consistent overlap, and re wrapped the cord.

I have the same grips but in black. I used black electrical tape around the inner end of the grip, which is invisible over the black leather. Works great.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 11:44:19 pm
A plug for the mirror hole. Took some superglue to hold it.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:27 am
Sure!  On bicycles and tennis rackets we always just use electrical tape to finish and hold the end of the wrapping.  You can get all colors including a brown shade.  Or your team colors!

Cookie

I have the same grips but in black. I used black electrical tape around the inner end of the grip, which is invisible over the black leather. Works great.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 12:52:04 am
My local hardware store has a good selection of black, nylon plugs and caps.  I've found ones that fit perfectly in the mirror holes on my bikes which have bar end mirrors.

Cookie

A plug for the mirror hole. Took some superglue to hold it.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 11:48:17 am
My local hardware store has a good selection of black, nylon plugs and caps.  I've found ones that fit perfectly in the mirror holes on my bikes which have bar end mirrors.

Olhogrider - I know you've probably seen this already, but for others...

Napa part #6652391. Black plastic, press-fit. $6 for 18 of them - no superglue needed...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6652391

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 03:36:23 pm
So off I went to Cyclegear. They had them. $40 for one, $50 for two.

Forgot to ask: which specific ones did you get at CycleGear? I'm looking at their webpage now and can't match up anything on that page that looks like what you got. I won't be able to get to our store until Saturday, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for when I get there.

Options that look close:

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 04:54:33 pm
Olhogrider-I'm about to order some similar, as the "Mickey Mouse" ears just have to go.  Those you have look good!  Where did you have that tank done?  That looks cool as hell.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 09:03:57 pm
Forgot to ask: which specific ones did you get at CycleGear? I'm looking at their webpage now and can't match up anything on that page that looks like what you got. I won't be able to get to our store until Saturday, and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for when I get there.

Options that look close:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/speedmetal-billet-bar-end-mirrors

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 09:05:35 pm
Olhogrider - I know you've probably seen this already, but for others...

Napa part #6652391. Black plastic, press-fit. $6 for 18 of them - no superglue needed...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6652391

That's what I wanted! I should have asked here first ::)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:35 pm
That's what I wanted! I should have asked here first ::)

:D

Always check here first... either by asking, or searching the archives.  I learned about those plugs here on this forum -  seven years ago...

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 11:16:43 pm
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/speedmetal-billet-bar-end-mirrors

Outstanding. Thanks! Placed on reserve at our local Cycle Gear and will pick up tomorrow or Saturday.

No issues with vibration at speed, like some of the reviews mention?

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 03:27:59 pm
Picked up from CycleGear and added mine last night. Easy install; didn't file down the raised edge on the exposed inner end after the end cap came off so a bit tilted on the bar end itself, but only like 5 degrees and doesn't affect anything. Bigger issue is one mirror is still pretty loose no matter how much I tighten. I think I have it tight enough but first ride will tell the tale. Pics soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:31:25 pm by mwmosser »

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 04:40:33 pm
No issues with vibration at speed, like some of the reviews mention?

My bike is remarkably smooth at all speeds. I mean there is hardly any felt vibration on my grips through the handlebars, and I can't see any evidence of buzz visually on the mirrors, either. Very pleased!

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:12 pm
Still making up my mind on these. Seem a bit wide. Was thinking they would go up more than they do, but rather they go out first and then up. I know why - to eliminate blind spots. But the bike now seems a lot wider than it was before.

Of course, I could reverse them, and make the mirrors go inboard instead of outboard.... ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:55:24 pm by mwmosser »

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 07:57:07 pm
Picked up from CycleGear and added mine last night. Easy install; didn't file down the raised edge on the exposed inner end after the end cap came off so a bit tilted on the bar end itself, but only like 5 degrees and doesn't affect anything. Bigger issue is one mirror is still pretty loose no matter how much I tighten. I think I have it tight enough but first ride will tell the tale. Pics soon.

There is a trick. Loosen the Allen bolt farthest from the mirror, then tighten the one closest to the mirror until the mirror is as tight as you like. Then go back and retighten the other bolt.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:15 pm
There is a trick. Loosen the Allen bolt farthest from the mirror, then tighten the one closest to the mirror until the mirror is as tight as you like. Then go back and retighten the other bolt.

Thanks - think I might have discovered this on my own, as I did get it tighter this morning. But not yet ridden to confirm it's as tight as I want.

Any issues with the width? The bike's a full foot wider than it used to be now. I don't plan on lane-splitting so that's not an issue, but just wanted your impression.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 02:10:34 am
Yes, this style of bar end mirror sticks way out, making the whole bike really wide.

I have this type on my Cafe Racer, but only one mirror, so it is wide only on one side, but a real pain trying to fit it into my garage, the mirror gets in the way and gets bumped.

On another bike I got the kind of bar end mirrors that stick up rather than out.  Down side is my arm and elbow is a bit in the picture.

Another option is fold-able bar end mirrors, which you fold flat against the bike for parking in a tight spot, and they unfold to the original correct position.  "lane spliters" it think they are called

FWIW....I seem to see the exact same mirrors, sold under many different brand names, for wildly varying prices.  Probably all made in the same factory in China.

I think my stand up type bar end mirrors cost only $16 for the pair!  I would say "good Chinese quality"

The mirrors I lust after...I forgot the brand name....but they are not glass...they are curved and polished aluminum...special coating...they a super thin and super light...but over $100 a pair (so above my cheap ass budget)

Cookie

Still making up my mind on these. Seem a bit wide. Was thinking they would go up more than they do, but rather they go out first and then up. I know why - to eliminate blind spots. But the bike now seems a lot wider than it was before.

Of course, I could reverse them, and make the mirrors go inboard instead of outboard.... ???

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 03:50:29 pm
I put the bunny ears back on. I couldn't stand how wide these mirrors were. I want bar end mirrors that go up, not out.

Kind of a pain to get those plugs out of the OEM mirror holes also! Had to drill them out - good grips!

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 07:43:09 pm
Thanks - think I might have discovered this on my own, as I did get it tighter this morning. But not yet ridden to confirm it's as tight as I want.

Any issues with the width? The bike's a full foot wider than it used to be now. I don't plan on lane-splitting so that's not an issue, but just wanted your impression.

Can't split lanes here so that's not an issue. These don't stick out much, maybe 4" beyond the handlebar. I did have a set on a Triumph that the stalk was spring loaded to stop in a few different positions. You could fold them in when clearance was needed and pop them back without messing up the adjustment. 

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 12:09:39 am
Got new mirrors, more the style I wanted. Best part - no need to take the lumps off the bar ends, no modification of any kind required! What I did was take the bar ends off, insert into the mirror mount, and use a rubber mallet and a muffled punch to push the lump to the inner end of the clamp. Then matched up with the offset on the bar end, and tightened down. Worked perfectly and seems plenty secure. Road test coming up soon.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 02:50:10 am
For my taste, these look really nice on a 650 INT.   I think I got the same ones...put on my Honda Super Cup.  Gives the bike a lower in front look.

Are they tinted blue?  Mine are.  Can't decide if I like that, or if it make the view too dark.  Only paid I think $12 or $16 for the set...so I may look for a set in clear glass.

Only issue is that they still get a good portion of my arm in the view.

Those fancy, all aluminum ones I lust after are $117    each!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my Cafe racer..I have the bar end mirror which sticks out and down....gives a good full view, but makes the handle bar plus mirror too wide IMHO.

Cookie

Got new mirrors, more the style I wanted. Best part - no need to take the lumps off the bar ends, no modification of any kind required! What I did was take the bar ends off, insert into the mirror mount, and use a rubber mallet and a muffled punch to push the lump to the inner end of the clamp. Then matched up with the offset on the bar end, and tightened down. Worked perfectly and seems plenty secure. Road test coming up soon.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 06:08:02 pm
I had the bar end from Cycle Gear that was in an earlier post in this thread, but took it off because I didn't like how wide it made the bike. Totally agree on that point. These are tinted blue, yes, supposedly for anti-glare. But we have a lot of bright sun here in Texas so I think they'll be fine even if they darken the view a bit. I think I have them so my arm is not too much in the view, but we'll see.

And yes, the expensive non-glass polished aluminum ones are lust-worthy. Just don't know if I can justify the cost for this particular bike, but if I come into money, watch out :)

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 11:37:37 pm
Many years ago I had bar end mirrors that I could flip out of the way for tight parking or lane splitting, but then pop them back without the need to adjust them. I was just perusing some old posts and found them. I think it was a brand name but others are selling the same thing. Napoleon bar end mirrors.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:20 am
Many years ago I had bar end mirrors that I could flip out of the way for tight parking or lane splitting, but then pop them back without the need to adjust them. I was just perusing some old posts and found them. I think it was a brand name but others are selling the same thing. Napoleon bar end mirrors.

My daughter has those on her R65LS and they do work well.  That folding back feature is very handy - especially when parking in a tight spot and when splitting lanes of traffic.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #39 on: June 12, 2020, 10:30:13 am
Been about 6 months since last post here, any chance people can throw up some pics and/or recommendations of bar end mirrors on 650GT? Cheers.
2020 Continental GT 650

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #40 on: June 12, 2020, 11:49:43 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYQ834N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are about $40USD / barley add any width / sturdy, no vibration
I saw a tip from another member regarding installation; I left the OEM threaded plug (inside the handlebar) as is. I got a longer bolt. As for the "notched" plug that locks and locates the RE bar end cap, I took one flat washer and cut it in half so as to level the surface. That way I can return to stock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:00:27 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 02:41:47 pm
I have those mirrors....LOVE 'EM...love 'em, love 'em !!!!  You can actually see behind, not just a view of elbows and shoulders!  As said below, once installed correctly they are stable, stay in adjustment, and don't vibrate...

I prefer the clear lenses....some like the blue tinted ones...

Slight mod needed (to the mirror mount, not the bike) needed to get a pro install.

I make a notch on the mirror side to coincide with the notch inside the handle bars...this way they cannot rotate once snugged down.  The 1/2 washer may work just as well...either method can be returned to stock as the mod is to the mirror side, not the bike side.

BTW somebody here said that the bar end weights are removable.....this is true for the GT650 which has clip on bars, but not true for the INT650...the bar end weights are welded in.  But they have the threads necessary for install of the bar end mirror....so you don't want to remove anyway...

Cookie

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NYQ834N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are about $40USD / barley add any width / sturdy, no vibration
I saw a tip from another member regarding installation; I left the OEM threaded plug (inside the handlebar) as is. I got a longer bolt. As for the "notched" plug that locks and locates the RE bar end cap, I took one flat washer and cut it in half so as to level the surface. That way I can return to stock.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #42 on: June 12, 2020, 06:24:42 pm
My wife has the same ones on her Monster. She loves them too.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #43 on: June 12, 2020, 06:40:25 pm
Here's the bar end mirrors that I've fitted.
I ordered two Halycon830 mirrors with the Triumph T120 fitment option here https://classicpartsltd.com/bar-end-fitting-for-new-triumph-t120-range.html
I removed the standard bar end finishers, carefully removed the step in the bar inserts (hacksaw and finished with a file). Then simply fitted the mirrors with the T120 adapter and M6 cap head supplied.
If I ever need to replace the standard bar ends, I will fashion up a couple of crescent spacers to occupy the milled out recess in the bar ends.

Pictures of the result below.
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #44 on: June 12, 2020, 08:16:04 pm
Thanks a lot guys - great info. I've got a mr clean GT coming in a couple of weeks and think those halycon ones would look the ducks nuts. Thanks Greytop for the info and photo's (nice bike by the way - I used to have one of the older iron barrel 500's). Without my bike here currently - do you think those 830's would fit on/in the GT650's bars easily enough?
2020 Continental GT 650

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #45 on: June 12, 2020, 08:35:47 pm
Thanks a lot guys - great info. I've got a mr clean GT coming in a couple of weeks and think those halycon ones would look the ducks nuts. Thanks Greytop for the info and photo's (nice bike by the way - I used to have one of the older iron barrel 500's). Without my bike here currently - do you think those 830's would fit on/in the GT650's bars easily enough?

If the GT650 bar ends are same as my Interceptor's (which I suspect they are) then I don't think you'll have a problem.
Just make sure you also include the T120 fitting kit option.
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #46 on: June 12, 2020, 09:03:26 pm
If the GT650 bar ends are same as my Interceptor's (which I suspect they are) then I don't think you'll have a problem.
Just make sure you also include the T120 fitting kit option.
Cheers mate, I’ll contact classicparts first just to confirm fitment as they would be a couple of expensive hand mirrors if I got them out here to NZ and they wouldn’t fit  ;D (and my apologies for mistaking your bike for a bullet at first glance - that tank threw me. I’ll have to put my glases on  :o)
2020 Continental GT 650

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #47 on: June 12, 2020, 10:01:38 pm
Cheers mate, I’ll contact classicparts first just to confirm fitment as they would be a couple of expensive hand mirrors if I got them out here to NZ and they wouldn’t fit  ;D (and my apologies for mistaking your bike for a bullet at first glance - that tank threw me. I’ll have to put my glases on  :o)

No problem :)
I did have a quick look on YouTube and it appears that the GT650 is actually different to the Interceptor. Have a look here https://youtu.be/rSqI_LPcDNU
So it looks to me that you would be able to use the standard Halcyon830 mirror and it's standard bar insert. You would need to remove the RE insert and replace it with the Halcyon insert.
Might be worth just double checking the ID of the bars before you order though as there are also options for different IDs if needed.

devil2310

• Scooter
  • USA 2020 INT 650 Baker Express
Reply #48 on: June 16, 2020, 03:23:57 pm
Hi All,

What bar end mirrors you recommend for INT 650 which do not require any kind of handle bar modification?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: June 17, 2020, 01:42:33 am
None of them require handle bar modification.  Some require modification to the mirror themselves, the mounting system requires a "flat" to be filed or grinded in.   You dont' modify the bike in any way and the bike may be returned to 100% stock if you wish at a later time.

Cookie

Hi All,

What bar end mirrors you recommend for INT 650 which do not require any kind of handle bar modification?

devil2310

• Scooter
  • USA 2020 INT 650 Baker Express
Reply #50 on: June 17, 2020, 03:48:02 am
Ok. Thanks for the information. So looks like there aren’t a lot of after market mirrors which fit the bike without modification.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: June 17, 2020, 08:38:47 am
It looks like RE make a bar end mirror....I'd  assume no modifications required....don't know the price.
Looks like...
3900 INR....  about $51 us dollar....expect your local dealer to take a long time to get one, and they will jack up the price too.

They say "Royal Enfield on them...so they have to be good!

Or order aftermarket the ones recommended on this forum...and find a 5 year old in your neighborhood to install them for you!

(sorry, sorry, sorry...I apologize!  just kidding....)

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/gma/1990401/

Cookie

Ok. Thanks for the information. So looks like there aren’t a lot of after market mirrors which fit the bike without modification.

rowdyyates

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: June 17, 2020, 10:31:10 am
I have the Royal Enfield bar end mirrors on my bike. Very nice. Well made. Look great. They came with the bike. Dealer fitted them.
1988 RGV 250
2020 RE GT CONT 650

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: June 17, 2020, 11:11:16 am
Do you know the up charge for them?

I've seen anywhere frm $93 to over $200 on e bay form sellers in India.

They do look nice...and have RE branding...

I have the Royal Enfield bar end mirrors on my bike. Very nice. Well made. Look great. They came with the bike. Dealer fitted them.

rowdyyates

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:20 am
Not sure on cost. When I got my bike it came with small front screen, bar end mirrors, black heal and intake cover plates plus single seat and cowl. I don't know how much the parts cost.
1988 RGV 250
2020 RE GT CONT 650

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #55 on: June 17, 2020, 12:02:41 pm
It looks like RE make a bar end mirror....I'd  assume no modifications required....don't know the price.
Looks like...
3900 INR....  about $51 us dollar....expect your local dealer to take a long time to get one, and they will jack up the price too.

They say "Royal Enfield on them...so they have to be good!

Or order aftermarket the ones recommended on this forum...and find a 5 year old in your neighborhood to install them for you!

(sorry, sorry, sorry...I apologize!  just kidding....)

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/gma/1990401/

Cookie

A word of caution, the Interceptor bar end components are different to the GT650. The GT650 has an insert in the bar that is part an parcel of the bar end finisher (shiny bit on the end of your bar) with a extended smaller diameter area where the RE bar end mirrors can be fitted. The Interceptor 650 is quite different to this.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: June 17, 2020, 01:50:19 pm
Yes....some places, they say the RE bar end mirrors fit the GT 650

Others say they fit both the GT650 and the INT650.

My recommendation is get the Kemimoto mirrors...round...clear lens...and just file a flat into the mounting gizmo...the gizmo on the mirror, not the gizmo inside the bars....

Really it is an easy job....those mirrors are top quality at a reasonable price and function perfectly...

Unfortunately it looks like the supply of these has dried up due to Corona....good luck finding them in stock...

Kemimoto says 15 to 45 days until shipment!!!!

Cookie

A word of caution, the Interceptor bar end components are different to the GT650. The GT650 has an insert in the bar that is part an parcel of the bar end finisher (shiny bit on the end of your bar) with a extended smaller diameter area where the RE bar end mirrors can be fitted. The Interceptor 650 is quite different to this.

interbanana

• Scooter
Reply #57 on: July 25, 2020, 03:29:16 am
My contribution - ebay foldable bar end mirrors. I'm not 100% sold on the look, but they'll do for now. Something like the Halcyon 8305 in black chrome looks better on a classic bike IMO, but they're $300AUD a pair.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #58 on: July 25, 2020, 05:59:58 am
Me too on my GT. They’re really nice mirrors. I wish they were foldable but actually I haven’t needed them to be yet
Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #59 on: July 25, 2020, 11:08:36 am
I've just swapped mine from the Halcyon 830 to the 820, better rearward view and an equally classic look - I think :)

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #60 on: July 26, 2020, 12:16:34 am
If you have a gt use barend mirrors with clamp fitting since you allready have the space at the barend.
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #61 on: July 26, 2020, 12:54:19 am
I've just swapped mine from the Halcyon 830 to the 820, better rearward view and an equally classic look - I think :)

Always liked them, look great and foldable . Always set mine vertically though.
Steve
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #62 on: July 26, 2020, 04:34:04 am
What did you do with the 830's? Are they the round ones?
2020 Continental GT 650

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #63 on: July 26, 2020, 05:23:20 am
These might have been posted before but if anyone is interested these are "MICTUNING Universal Motorcycle Mirrors - 3 Inch Round Folding Bar End Side Mirror" about $40 delivered off Amazon. I tried fitting them on the bar directly first (i.e. not using the supplied insert) but found I couldn't get enough clamping pressure on the ball joint so I ended up removing the stock end weights and fitting mirrors with supplied insert. Piece of cake and look far better than the mickey mouse ears, I think.  Also quite good vis (albeit smaller image) when riding and no vibration.
2020 Continental GT 650

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #64 on: July 26, 2020, 10:55:26 am
What did you do with the 830's? Are they the round ones?

I decided to keep the 830's (the round ones), just in case I ever fancy swapping them back.
The mounting and arm are the same for both so when I changed to the 820's I just bought the mirrors.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: July 26, 2020, 07:34:57 pm
am I correct in thinking that putting bar end mirrors on the Interceptor requires more than removing the bar ends and installing the new mirrors?  Or is this only on the GT?

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #66 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:01 pm
am I correct in thinking that putting bar end mirrors on the Interceptor requires more than removing the bar ends and installing the new mirrors?  Or is this only on the GT?

Have a look at reply 43 in this thread  ;)

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: July 26, 2020, 10:18:50 pm
Have a look at reply 43 in this thread  ;)

thanks,  I still don't really understand what you filed down, I'm afraid.  I think I'll get the RE version.  seems those go right on

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #68 on: July 26, 2020, 10:27:28 pm
thanks,  I still don't really understand what you filed down, I'm afraid.  I think I'll get the RE version.  seems those go right on

If you take the small aluminium alloy bar end finishers off you will see a step in the bar inserts (the piece in the end of the handlebar with an M6 tapped hole in the centre). It is that step that I removed.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: July 26, 2020, 11:58:36 pm
If you take the small aluminium alloy bar end finishers off you will see a step in the bar inserts (the piece in the end of the handlebar with an M6 tapped hole in the centre). It is that step that I removed.

ah, but that should pull out easily and the new part from your bar ends will replace it and expand to tightness with installing the others?

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: July 27, 2020, 12:08:00 am
Not on interceptor...the bar weights are petty much "non removable"....

Don't file down the step in the end of the bar weights and f-up your bike....file a step into  the gizmo on the bar end mirror to match the step..

Cookie

ah, but that should pull out easily and the new part from your bar ends will replace it and expand to tightness with installing the others?

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #71 on: July 27, 2020, 09:14:17 am

Don't file down the step in the end of the bar weights and f-up your bike....file a step into  the gizmo on the bar end mirror to match the step..

Cookie

Unfortunately this isn't really practical with the Halcyon mirrors.
If you filed a step into the Halycon T120 fitting (used to mount to the Interceptor bars) you will not be able to adjust the angle of the bar mirror mounting arm relative to your viewing angle when sat the on the bike. You would have to make this judgement before filing the T120 fitting and then live with it if it wasn't quite right - or buy new fittings. By removing the step in the bar end mounting on the handlebars you are free to adjust that angle easily then locally fine adjust mirrors about that 'mean' position.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: July 27, 2020, 11:14:59 am
Oh...I see...

Cookie

If you filed a step into the Halycon T120 fitting (used to mount to the Interceptor bars) you will not be able to adjust the angle of the bar mirror mounting arm relative to your viewing angle when sat the on the bike. You would have to make this judgement before filing the T120 fitting and then live with it if it wasn't quite right - or buy new fittings. By removing the step in the bar end mounting on the handlebars you are free to adjust that angle easily then locally fine adjust mirrors about that 'mean' position.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: July 27, 2020, 05:54:23 pm
I can't believe they've made this so difficult. 

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #74 on: July 27, 2020, 06:41:58 pm
I can't believe they've made this so difficult.

Yes I agree.
I can't understand why they have opted to machine a step in the inserts in the end of the bars or why these inserts can't be easily removed.
Having said all that it wasn't difficult or time consuming to do what I did to fit mine.

If I ever wanted to change back to stock I'll just saw an appropriately sized washer in half to fill in the milled recess in the bar end finisher (polished Al.alloy pieces held on with an M6 cap head).

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #75 on: July 27, 2020, 08:45:33 pm

Here's an image of the Halcyon 820 with Standard and Bonneville mounts. The Bonneville mount has a tooth lock washer that is fixed (probably welded) to the adapter piece that replaces the standard Halcyon bar end mount. This prevents the mirror from rotating unexpectedly around the bar end. The Bonneville does not have that step in the bar end, so filing it down on the Interceptor bar end is your best bet if you want to use the Bonneville adapter.

Other option: Use another handle bar with open bar ends and use the standard mount. That is what I did.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #76 on: July 27, 2020, 11:23:12 pm
I bought those for my GT. I like that they fold back to a detent, makes it easy to flip back/forth. Did you have to file the mounts to suit the larger bar? The GT bar diameter is quite a bit bigger than the diameter of the mirror mount spacer...

My contribution - ebay foldable bar end mirrors. I'm not 100% sold on the look, but they'll do for now. Something like the Halcyon 8305 in black chrome looks better on a classic bike IMO, but they're $300AUD a pair.

KiwiGT

• Scooter
  • NZ
Reply #77 on: July 28, 2020, 05:47:20 am
I bought those for my GT. I like that they fold back to a detent, makes it easy to flip back/forth. Did you have to file the mounts to suit the larger bar? The GT bar diameter is quite a bit bigger than the diameter of the mirror mount spacer...

I'll jump in even though it wasn't directed at me. Those mirrors look very similar to the ones I got although I don't think they have a detent but they do fold back. I tried them directly onto the bars but as you suggest I couldn't get enough clamping pressure due to the size difference (for future reference GT bars are about 22mm OD and 18mm ID). I ended up taking the bar ends off and removing the stock inserts and then using the inserts that come with the mirrors. They are rock solid now whereas before it was like pissing in the wind.

Pictures of stock insert attached, you have to clamp the bar end with something then give the screw a sharp twist to crack the loctite they use at factory, then I removed screw and bar end and reinserted screw a few threads and used that to pull the insert out. It has a couple of tabs which locate in holes in the bars, if you cant squeeze the tabs then I found turning the insert in the bar 90deg pops them out then its a matter of pulling straight out. They'll be firm with resistance provided by those rubbers on the insert but with a few choice words they'll come out. I explain this as I saw some horror videos on youtube with people attacking them with hammers and screwdrivers etc there's no need for that.
2020 Continental GT 650

interbanana

• Scooter
Reply #78 on: July 28, 2020, 08:39:13 am
Yep I think yours are exactly the same as mine KiwiGT. I know nothing about GT bar ends, so I'm glad you chimed in ;D

I didn't file anything down. The kit came with a pair of plastic washers which I simply folded in half and used them to fill the recess on the bar. Also bought some longer M6 allen bolts and reused the original end caps .

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #79 on: July 28, 2020, 11:46:05 am
Thanks fella's