Author Topic: Itchy Boots - Patagonia to Alaska  (Read 19174 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: October 11, 2019, 12:32:32 pm
She's on her way!

https://youtu.be/MSQroSjsnrM

I got an email notification about her latest video posting, and I went to watch it right away.  There were no comments when I got there.  I immediately watched the video, and when I was done I refreshed the page - over 80 comments.

The video is 15 minutes long; less than eight minutes after posting it, she already had four thumbs-down dislikes.  People are weird...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:56:38 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, mattsz.  I am on my way to watching her video.  I agree with you. I just don't understand why anyone would "dislike" the Itchy Boots videos.  If they don't like them, don't watch them.  There is something strange going on and I just can't understand the motivations of these haters.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
There were a couple of comments saying they didn't like the intro music [I preferred the old intro too] but that's no reason for a thumbs down, surely?

Amazing Young Woman!

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:07 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, mattsz.  I am on my way to watching her video.  I agree with you. I just don't understand why anyone would "dislike" the Itchy Boots videos.  If they don't like them, don't watch them.  There is something strange going on and I just can't understand the motivations of these haters.  :(

I think you perfectly well understand the motivations just as well as I do. Anyone who has been watching the evolution of how this kind of attitude has been developing over the past 70 years, steadily and progressively, understands how and why we have come to this.

And it is ubiquitous out there now in EVERY area and EVERY aspect of human, political, sociological, discourse and it is constantly reinforced and nurtured by a media and a government that thrives on it and makes political points on it and millions of dollars on it.

And you and I both know you understand how this has happened.

No one can even disCUSS a subject any more, even if whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow.

Be It Resolved: The sun will come up tomorrow.

"No. No. You're wrong. You're Evil. You're a sinner. Scream him down. You should be in jail. Let's burn something. You're wearing the wrong T-Shirt"!!   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:08:53 pm
           I think you perfectly well understand the motivations just as well as I do. Anyone who has been watching the evolution of how this kind of attitude has been developing over the past 70 years, steadily and progressively, understands how and why we have come to this.

And it is ubiquitous out there now in EVERY area and EVERY aspect of human, political, sociological, discourse and it is constantly reinforced and nurtured by a media and a government that thrives on it and makes political points on it and millions of dollars on it.

And you and I both know you understand how this has happened.

No one can even disCUSS a subject any more, even if whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow.

Be It Resolved: The sun will come up tomorrow.

"No. No. You're wrong. You're Evil. You're a sinner. Scream him down. You should be in jail. Let's burn something. You're wearing the wrong T-Shirt"!!

It is a sad situation, for sure.   :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:59:11 pm
mattsz:  You beat me to it but thanks.  I was going to start a brand new thread like this one. :)

On a positive note, Noraly's video now has had over 47,000 viewings with 7600 thumbs up and there are only 38 thumbs down.  I guess we could expect to see 38 A-holes among 47,000 people.

Boy!  14 hours of sitting on an airplane, 5 hours of dealing with officials and then riding thru traffic that makes the LA freeways look like a cake walk.  She deserved the rest she finally got.  I know I would have been reduced to zombie status, just barely running on autopilot after all of that.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 06:46:12 pm
Noraly is truly a special person and should be an ambassador for humankind.  I have watched her videos from day one... and, somehow,  she always found the time to reply to my e-mails and questions.  I really hope that when she gets to Alaska that she'll find her way to my neck of the woods as I would like to shake her hand and thank her for all of the good karma and kindness she spreads in the world.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 06:49:04 pm
On a positive note, Noraly's video now has had over 47,000 viewings with 7600 thumbs up and there are only 38 thumbs down.  I guess we could expect to see 38 A-holes among 47,000 people.

0.08% - I see a much  higher ratio where I work...  :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:21 pm
I just watched the second half of Itchy Boots first ride from Buenos Aires .

I must have got the jump on all the others because I was #198.

Here's a link to the adventure but if you haven't seen it, watch this one first.  It is the first half of the first days ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqp2CHF91DU

This second half of the ride has her fixing her flat rear tire and, she did it !!  It took her over 2 hours but she had never actually done it before and as I think back thru the years, the first time I had to fix a flat on my motorcycles rear wheel it took me almost as long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTfs6xWlQM

Enjoy. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:02:33 pm
On my mobile device that 'thumbs down' icon is so close to center screen that I like to think a fair portion of those recorded dislikes are just folks mistakenly tapping it while trying to scroll down to the Comments section, which is where true douchebaggery dwells.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 11:16:50 pm
I just watched the second half of Itchy Boots first ride from Buenos Aires .

This second half of the ride has her fixing her flat rear tire and, she did it !!  It took her over 2 hours but she had never actually done it before and as I think back thru the years, the first time I had to fix a flat on my motorcycles rear wheel it took me almost as long.

I got to Eps. 8 really late; just a few hours ago.

I would go anywhere with this girl  :o :o And she's lucky, too. It could have been later in the day, it could have easily been raining.

I would take this girl with me to rob a bank next to a police station (actually that might not be a bad idea)  :) :) , but I'd make sure the city had no One Way streets  :) :)

"I'll just go a little bit on these one way streets. It'll be OK. Let's go".

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:58 pm
Well I think she made the tire change look easy. Fair play to her, looks like that Overlander visit might have helped out :). Looked like there was more space to get the tube in on the Himalayan wheel than on my B5 that's for sure.

Liking the kit she had for it. Think the disc side should have come off first though so the disc isn't on the ground when levering the tyre off and on. Think I'm correct on that?

Her linguistic skills are right up there. I'd be stuffed lol.

Soon be time for a fuel payment methinks.

I do wonder if Noraly has ever realised or read the huge support that she so well deserves on here.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 02:45:21 am
Hey tooseevee.  Did you see it? 
Yup. A real 2CV zipping thru the streets in the latest town Noraly went thru.
Well, maybe not zipping but at least it was running. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 01:54:46 pm
I saw that and so did Noraly.  Kind of rusty, but at least it was moving.  ;D  I also noticed that the last town she arrived at was having a street-blocking protest.  At least it seemed to be calm and nonviolent.  If it was me, after I settled down in my hotel room, I would have gone over to the blocked street and joined the crowd to see what a peaceful protest looked like. Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon.  ;)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 06:50:25 am
I finally got to deal with a flat rear tire by herself, and she dealt with it extremely well. She was even smart enough to carry a small bottle of lubricant to use when removing and reinstalling the tire bead. She definitely made the right choice in choosing a motorcycle with a centerstand. I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything she can't cope with. Wonderful lady and wonderful videos.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 03:19:25 pm
Will Noraly run into these guys on during her trip to Alaska?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTtUtc8xSA

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 05:36:53 pm
The crew will probably be that big that she'll have her work cut out to miss them!

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 10:26:16 pm
The crew will probably be that big that she'll have her work cut out to miss them!

Frank

On the other hand, if she needs a jump start she knows who can supply it.   ;)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 11:40:14 pm
Hey tooseevee.  Did you see it? 
Yup. A real 2CV zipping thru the streets in the latest town Noraly went thru.
Well, maybe not zipping but at least it was running. :)

You must have blinked, Arizoni...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTfs6xWlQM&feature=youtu.be&t=16m26s

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 07:45:06 am
What a ridiculous idea. At least Noraly is doing it the right way.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 23, 2019, 11:35:00 pm
Noraly loses her license plate but enters Patagonia:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV3psYeY_AM

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 11:49:43 pm
Episode # 10: Noraly exploring the sea coast around where she is staying while she waits for her replacement license plate.

It's fun but it would have been better if her GoPro had a good telescopic lens on it so we could see what she was seeing with her binoculars.
I gave it a "big thumbs up" anyway. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb7ZKryw5Y
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

bigm

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 05:35:29 pm
People are people and people are weird.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 09:19:29 pm
People are people and people are weird.

What is this in response to?

Try to leave a little of the post you're responding to in your post. This just hangs out there attached to nothing.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 03:32:24 pm
Here is a contrast for you:  I bet you were following and enjoying Itchy Boots travels much more than what these characters were doing.  I wonder how many air miles they racked up during their trip?  https://motorbikewriter.com/charley-ewan-spotted-ecuador/

They apparently gave up and ended their trip in LA:  https://www.rideapart.com/articles/388148/long-way-up-losangeles-ewan-charley/

Is that when H-D's finances ran out?    :-\

I wonder when the movie will be released.  ::)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 25, 2019, 12:25:31 am
In her latest video, she got her 10,000 km service done and mentioned, the headstock bearings needed to be replaced.
Seems strange that RE wouldn't have addressed that problem by now.

She does a lot of dirt and gravel road riding but from what I've seen, she isn't riding the bike that hard.
If she was jumping ditches and climbing over logs, I could understand it but as things are now, it looks like it must be a basic design problem with the size of the bearings or the strength of the supporting tubing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 01:10:52 am
In her latest video, she got her 10,000 km service done and mentioned, the headstock bearings needed to be replaced.
Seems strange that RE wouldn't have addressed that problem by now.

She does a lot of dirt and gravel road riding but from what I've seen, she isn't riding the bike that hard.
If she was jumping ditches and climbing over logs, I could understand it but as things are now, it looks like it must be a basic design problem with the size of the bearings or the strength of the supporting tubing.

Or the lack of proper greasing at the factory.  ???

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 05:47:24 pm
          So who has seen #42? (Wasn't 42 the answer to everything?).

The last few episodes I've started to wonder if she's getting just plain worn out. I know she plans on a total do-nothing two weeks somewhere down the line, but you can tell she is getting Ti Erd  :(  and it's a lonnnnnngg way.

Even the GoPro is overheating :o

Thankfully she has SO much positive energy.

Every one of these 42 has been impressive and it goes without saying that the "scenery" is amazing, the drone footage "Well Done"!

I still worry a bit ... I sensed that trail in #38 was bad news immediately.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 08:40:38 am
She did says that she was having a few days rest over Christmas. She certainly deserves a break.

Amazing lady

Frank

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 07:21:36 pm
Here is a contrast for you:  I bet you were following and enjoying Itchy Boots travels much more than what these characters were doing.  I wonder how many air miles they racked up during their trip?  https://motorbikewriter.com/charley-ewan-spotted-ecuador/

They apparently gave up and ended their trip in LA:  https://www.rideapart.com/articles/388148/long-way-up-losangeles-ewan-charley/

Is that when H-D's finances ran out?    :-\

I wonder when the movie will be released.  ::)

I lost most of my regard for Charley Boorman when he saw fit to have himself filmed tossing a perfectly fine Honda Cub off of the 70+ foot high roof of a building near the conclusion of this perfectly idiotic Discovery Channel cowflop. They should have shoved him off after it for fair comparison's sake, to see if they could get him started again too. Idiots.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:46:15 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 10:16:49 pm
You will love this:  I have a German acquaintance who rides a 2000 BMW R1100GS and also watches itchy Boots.  He asked if the Himalayan weighs as much as his GS.   :o  That was an easy question to answer.   ;)

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2020, 08:25:00 am
Noraly said once that one reason she preferred the Himalayan over the big adventure bikes was that when it fell over, she could pick it up by herself, which she wouldn't be able to do with a GS or similar.

Frank

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 01:11:55 am
In case you didn't notice, Itchy Boots has posted a NEW video.

After a few weeks of rest from the web, she looks all fresh as a daisy and up an at um like she did during many of her earlier rides from India to Holland.
Check it out. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECjYJ2DvqY
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 07:34:55 pm
C'mon Jim, keep up  ;D

We're on the 2nd vid post rest already lol.

It certainly looks like the break has had an effect. A video a day was going to take its toll sooner or later.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 06:25:18 pm
Noraly just posted from Peru. She's struggling.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:27:31 pm by Stanley »
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 10:03:19 pm
I'd kind of been wondering how Noraly was getting along. It ain't exactly the Golden Age of Travel out there. For some reason I haven't been getting notifications lately. I guess I might have "hit that bell" by mistake and turned them off.

Anyhow, after a couple of weeks of lockdown in some flyspeck in Peru, it looks like she might be bailing soon on the trip for now:

https://youtu.be/e5a76O_uAQ4

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 12:06:18 am
In the previous episode, she landed in a dumpy town and got a room in a dumpy hostel. The room looks more like a jail cell and it would drive me crazy to have to stay there for more than a few days.  Apparently, she is pretty much locked in and can't leave the facility, except maybe to try to find some food. I can see how she might be thinking of giving up her trip, especially as there is no end in sight for the lock down to end.  But it is a mystery to me how she would be able to get out of town and return home.  The last I heard the entire country is locked down and even the airports are closed.  A sad situation for sure.   :(  That video linked by Bilgemaster is her two week story.  Hopefully the next video will be more upbeat.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 12:29:56 am
I've had worse rooms than that doghole in a Peruvian border town, but then I didn't go to sleep every night like poor Noraly wondering if the local townsfolk might burst in in the middle of the night, drag me out, and go all "Ancient Incan" on my ass for being the white witch who brought the plague to town...except for maybe that sublet on Christopher Street back in the early '80s. That was kinda "dicey" and truly "sepulchral".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:41:03 am by Bilgemaster »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 02:44:59 pm
I've had worse rooms than that doghole in a Peruvian border town, but then I didn't go to sleep every night like poor Noraly wondering if the local townsfolk might burst in in the middle of the night, drag me out, and go all "Ancient Incan" on my ass for being the white witch who brought the plague to town...except for maybe that sublet on Christopher Street back in the early '80s. That was kinda "dicey" and truly "sepulchral".

Nothing you've ever experienced is as bad as what that girl's going through. Just sayin'.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 02:56:44 pm
In the previous episode, she landed in a dumpy town and got a room in a dumpy hostel. The room looks more like a jail cell and it would drive me crazy to have to stay there for more than a few days.  Apparently, she is pretty much locked in and can't leave the facility, except maybe to try to find some food. I can see how she might be thinking of giving up her trip, especially as there is no end in sight for the lock down to end.  But it is a mystery to me how she would be able to get out of town and return home.  The last I heard the entire country is locked down and even the airports are closed.  A sad situation for sure.   :(  That video linked by Bilgemaster is her two week story.  Hopefully the next video will be more upbeat.

I've watched this develop with sadness. She is now caught between many rocks and hard places. And the end is inevitable. She's going to end up leaving the bike and getting out.

If she could, and she can't, she should take the bike somewhere, take the gas cap off , tip the bike
over and throw a match at it. Legally she can't leave the country and leave the bike + the village people want her dead and the so called government of the town is worried about international publicity and, as usual, are useless except to maybe help get her out of town while also saving their political asses.

If she tries to move the bike with her on it for ANY reason, they will put her in jail.

This two-day trip will gain her nothing (except closer to an airport). The next country will NEVER let her in + it is no doubt illegal anyway to LEAVE Peru over the next border.

I will be amazed and delighted if they even GET to the big city (Lima) with the bike and without her in jail.  She's in a very dangerous situation now. I've been apprehensive about this trip since the start Waaaaay more than the previous trip..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:25:43 pm by tooseevee »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 03:09:46 pm
One bright spot in her favor to at least get to Lima, is that the local police and military might not want to arrest her as they wouldn't want her in their jail and might just let her pass on to the next jurisdiction and the next jurisdiction, until she finally reaches the capital.  Maybe we will see what happened in her next video which should be posted on Monday. I bet it was a scary trip.

I think I what I would do is to store my bike in a secure garage the city and then wait out the lockdown somewhere in Lima that is more used to foreigners. Perhaps she could move into some European expat's home for the duration.  ???

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 05:00:34 pm
      Nothing you've ever experienced is as bad as what that girl's going through. Just sayin'.

You presume to know quite a lot about me for someone I've never even met.

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 07:24:59 pm
She shares some real feelings and the world must really appear differently to her than to "normal" people. Dhanno's value to her must be inseparable from her lifestyle.  I'll be glad when she feels safe, wherever that may be.
Lurker on a Vespa

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 08:52:08 pm
I was going to post some of my thoughts on the whole situation. Not just Norallys, but to others in the same plight, and those who are not who are experiencing the same fears, claustrophobia, etc.

But at the moment I'm trying to find a way that I could put those words that would come across in a way that would not offend or belittle anyone if they were to be read the wrong way if you get my meaning. Be they forum users, people on youtube or anyone else.

It would be so much easier round a table with a pint of ale (or drink of choice) than text that when written can be taken in an incorrect tone when it has not.

Probably should make that my last glass......rambling ....

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 02:51:24 am
One bright spot in her favor to at least get to Lima, is that the local police and military might not want to arrest her as they wouldn't want her in their jail and might just let her pass on to the next jurisdiction and the next jurisdiction, until she finally reaches the capital.  Maybe we will see what happened in her next video which should be posted on Monday. I bet it was a scary trip.

I think I what I would do is to store my bike in a secure garage the city and then wait out the lockdown somewhere in Lima that is more used to foreigners. Perhaps she could move into some European expat's home for the duration.  ???
According to her latest video, she has the help of the Dutch government which is trying to get all of the people out of places around the world.
They are sending several airplanes to evacuate Dutch people from Lima.

Her big issue is she doesn't want to leave her motorcycle there but she may have to.  We'll see what happens.

For those not following her adventure, here is a link to her last video update showing where she is and what she's going thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5a76O_uAQ4
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: April 04, 2020, 02:27:17 pm
One huge issue for Noraly is the fate of her trusty ride 'Dhanno' if she has to leave her behind. I understand that it's there in Peru on temporary importation or transit papers. Seeing as how Lampa, her present location, is far closer to La Paz in Bolivia than Lima, I am wondering if having her shipped back over the border to Bolivia might not be a possible solution. Accordingly, I posted the following comment to her YouTube video:

"Being so cheerfully indomitable, as you are, I am confident that you will weather this setback just fine. As for Dhanno, I am wondering if the temporary vehicle importation regulations may be more lax in Bolivia, and if you could have her shipped somehow back to La Paz and some kind of bonded storage or perhaps on the Dutch embassy grounds there (only 6 hours by road from Lampa) than all the way to Lima. You might then resume your journey later from there when this Covid thing has all blown over."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:29:29 pm by Bilgemaster »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 04:35:06 pm
According to her latest Facebook report today:
"I managed to get a car and driver to bring Dhanno and me to Lima. It was one of the most bizarre trips I’ve ever done - Part 1 of this crazy journey will be on the channel in a few hours, don’t miss it!"

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 04:35:37 pm
From what I have heard the border of Peru has been locked down and they are not allowing anyone to leave the country.  I still think her best bet is to extend the bike's import approval for a few more months and store it in a secure location in Lima for a few more months until the situation improves, while she shelters in place in that city.  I think that is what she has in mind - if she can reach Lima.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 04:37:31 pm
According to her latest Facebook report today:
"I managed to get a car and driver to bring Dhanno and me to Lima. It was one of the most bizarre trips I’ve ever done - Part 1 of this crazy journey will be on the channel in a few hours, don’t miss it!"

Frank

I definitely want to see that episode and I bet a lot of other people will, too. At least we know she made it to Lima safety.  :)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 05:12:13 pm
That's real good to hear. She's safe and secure I hope, and as a large coastal city, Lima's got to have better shipping options for Dhanno come what may. Looking forward to that video...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 11:40:20 pm
In this episode, Itchy Boots and her motorcycle are on their way to Lima. She had to pass though 12 police and military checkpoints so far. It is interesting to see how Peru is dealing with the virus scare. One thing they are doing is to hand out $110 USD to residents of the country, resulting in the people in the small towns standing in long lines to get their free money.  Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCnpmGN0wk

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 06:18:22 pm
    Here ye, hear ye. A new one is up.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 07:32:22 pm
I'm watchin', I'm watchin' :)

Crikey, they need to drive with the doors locked!! Could've turned nasty.....

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #53 on: April 07, 2020, 08:29:42 am
I always drive with the doors locked.
I didn't see anywhere in that video where things might have turned nasty?

Frank

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 07, 2020, 02:10:36 pm
I always drive with the doors locked.
I didn't see anywhere in that video where things might have turned nasty?

Frank

For some reason they stopped for a fellow who was hitchhiking. I gather they may have thought it was another checkpoint for some reason. The hitchhiker opened the rear door to get into the pickup, but they had to convince him he could not come along, and that they only had authorization for themselves to travel.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: April 07, 2020, 02:48:48 pm
For some reason they stopped for a fellow who was hitchhiking. I gather they may have thought it was another checkpoint for some reason. The hitchhiker opened the rear door to get into the pickup, but they had to convince him he could not come along, and that they only had authorization for themselves to travel.

They didn't "stop" for him. They were already stopped for whatever reason & not moving and the guy approached the vehicle and opened the rear door. The big screwup (and the vehicle might not have even been started yet) was the unlocked doors.

Her driver seems like a no BS, squared away guy to me. He just sticks to business. Neither one of them would have ever stopped for a hitchhiker.

At least that's way I seezit.

I'm glad for her that she "may" get the bike back some day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:56:37 pm by tooseevee »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #56 on: April 08, 2020, 08:53:24 am
Yes! the guy wanted a lift - they said no - end of story.
I didn't see anything showing signs of turning nasty.

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 08, 2020, 01:57:17 pm
Considering that she is storing her bike at a shipping company, even if she can't return to Peru, she likely could have the shipping company deliver Dhanno to another country so that she could start her trip again once the pandemic blows over, hopefully sometime this summer. But my guess is that she will cool her heals in Holland for a couple of months and then return to Lima when the lock-down ends and continue riding.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #58 on: April 08, 2020, 05:57:29 pm
Hope so - fingers crossed.

Frank

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #59 on: April 08, 2020, 07:15:17 pm
Noraly is on a plane back to the Netherlands.

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:55 pm

Frank

I am not surprised. I don't think she had much choice. We can only hope that once the crisis is over she will return to Lima and continue her trip. i am sure that is what she would like to do.

Here is the latest episode that shows Noraly going shopping on "women's day", while she waits for her flight out of Peru.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddwv9QZQkiA
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:07:37 pm by Richard230 »

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #61 on: April 08, 2020, 11:13:09 pm

Frank

I saw that!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: April 10, 2020, 10:22:14 pm
Itchy Boots has returned to the Netherlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTizfQPnpg

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 09:30:43 am
Anyone watch Noraly's live chat yesterday?
The shop where she got Dhanno from has loaned her a bike to ride in the Netherlands and Revit have given her some motorcycle clothing to wear whilst riding it.

Frank

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 21, 2020, 11:16:18 pm
I didn't see it live but I did watch the whole thing a few days later.

Yah.  I saw that part where the Royal Enfield dealer gave her a "loner" to ride while she's in Holland.
That, IMO, is going far beyond the call of duty on his part.

I also like Noraly's idea of riding around Holland and making videos of the rides.  That's something I've been thinking would be a good idea, long before this latest turn of events.

One of the neat things about riding is, going nowhere on a back road and stopping on the way there many times just to look over the countryside and smell the roses.  That's how to really see the country and the people as they really are.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: April 22, 2020, 02:42:27 pm
I watched the live feed and got the feeling there are thousands of people besides  tooseevee who are smitten by her charms.
Lurker on a Vespa

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 22, 2020, 10:55:33 pm
I watched the live feed and got the feeling there are thousands of people besides  tooseevee who are smitten by her charms.

Yeah, there was at least one marriage proposal that was remarkably declined. And gals keep asking where all the good men are...

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: April 23, 2020, 01:16:47 am
Yeah, there was at least one marriage proposal that was remarkably declined. And gals keep asking where all the good men are...

They don't ask that if they ride.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: April 24, 2020, 09:19:11 pm
         A 20 minute compilation video just came around on Noraly's guitar. All the best of some of the good stuff from both trips. She looks well fed, healthy and ready to go.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 08:17:32 am
         A 20 minute compilation video just came around on Noraly's guitar.
Is this an American expression that's gone over my head?
If so, what does it mean please?

Frank

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 02:14:41 pm
Is this an American expression that's gone over my head?
If so, what does it mean please?

Frank

I didn't know what that phrase meant either.  But here is a link to her latest video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Dpwc1y3ZU

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 03:46:23 pm
I saw the video the day it came out, I didn't understand the guitar reference.

Frank

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 05:59:26 pm

Frank

What with "G" adjacent to "Y" on the keyboard, I suspect it's just his spell checker run amok.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 09:41:22 pm
Or its like Arlo Guthrie waiting for the song to come around on the guitar, Alice's Restaurant reference but was too obscure. Best of video was amazing! It should play on a continuous loop at RE dealerships.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: April 25, 2020, 11:53:16 pm

Frank

You're not old enough  :) 

No, it wasn't a spellcheck error.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:33 pm
Itchy Boots has been riding around the Netherlands while she cools her heals at home waiting for the pandemic crisis to end in South America so that she can resume her trip.  I was interested to see that there were no masks in sight during her ride and that Holland uses U.S. type stop signs for traffic control:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbeeIBobr0U

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: May 23, 2020, 02:55:41 pm
Itchy Boots cools her - heals - at home waiting for the pandemic crisis to end.

Careful. I'm still here  :) :) :) although inactiver and inactiver  :(  (Haven't even put the battery or gas in the '08 yet).

I'm so glad to see her riding again and Holland is a Very interesting place. Most people nowadays haven't a clue how they created their own country or what the hell all those windmills were really for. And those cool narrow roads 8)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:06:31 pm by tooseevee »

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #77 on: May 23, 2020, 03:16:59 pm
Most people nowadays haven't a clue how they created their own country or what the hell all those windmills were really for.
Those of us who watched yesterday's episode do  ;D

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: May 24, 2020, 01:54:44 pm
Those of us who watched yesterday's episode do  ;D

Frank

Touche', moan ahmee  :)

(No, I don't fence  ;) ).

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #79 on: June 19, 2020, 07:45:24 pm
I've just been watching Itchyboots.
Did you know that many Dutch people join a waiting list in order to adopt an Allied or American soldiers grave so that they can care for it?
I was really touched to hear that.

Frank

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: June 21, 2020, 02:38:18 am
I've just been watching Itchyboots.
Did you know that many Dutch people join a waiting list in order to adopt an Allied or American soldiers grave so that they can care for it?
I was really touched to hear that.

Frank

I knew nothing of this list until last night watching Noraly. It is so popular they have closed the list. She recommended A Bridge Too Far. I'm not much of a war movie fan but knowing the story and the location made it really fascinating. An excellent movie with an all star cast.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: July 04, 2020, 04:57:59 am
I see Noraly posted another video.  This one is about the new used motorcycle she bought to use for cruising around Europe.

I won't ruin it by saying what she bought but it should be a good machine for doing what she wants to do.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: July 05, 2020, 04:40:56 pm
Here is a video of Noraly being interviewed by the owner of ADVRider.com, if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=h40NQTw6kW4&feature=emb_logo

I just watched the video where she bought the new used bike. I can't believe that video is only 2 days old and already has 288 dislikes. Unreal. I have watched all her videos from South America, right up to when she got on the plane back to the Netherlands, and enjoyed them all immensely. I gave her a like on all of them. I also watched most of the videos from her prior trip. I was terrified something really bad would happen to her in the middle east. She is one brave woman. I do hope she gets to go back and continue her trip at some point. I was even hoping to meet her when she came through CA. I am very close.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:58:30 pm by suitcasejefferson »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: July 05, 2020, 06:09:09 pm
Here is a video of Noraly being interviewed by the owner of ADVRider.com, if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=h40NQTw6kW4&feature=emb_logo

I just watched the video where she bought the new used bike. I can't believe that video is only 2 days old and already has 288 dislikes. Unreal. I have watched all her videos from South America, right up to when she got on the plane back to the Netherlands, and enjoyed them all immensely. I gave her a like on all of them. I also watched most of the videos from her prior trip. I was terrified something really bad would happen to her in the middle east. She is one brave woman. I do hope she gets to go back and continue her trip at some point. I was even hoping to meet her when she came through CA. I am very close.

I feel as you and have worried about her and given her HUGE respects and cred. She mentioned in this last video that she doesn't have nice, long legs. With those eyes  :) :)  she doesn't have to give that a 2nd thought  :) .

Every time I've talked to my twin 19 year old granddaughters since Day One of her First trip I've asked them "Are you watching Noraly"? I've hoped at least one of them develops with the kind of confidence and independence that Noraly has, but in the America that has developed over the past 50 or 60 years I remain pessimistic. We don't have the kind of parents or schools any more who create the kind of person that Noraly is. At least not eeNUFF of them  - very  :(

I confess I worry the most about when she reaches the U.S.. It will be imPOSSible for her to hide from this media machine we have here. They will know where she is ALL the time and I'm afraid of the creeps who will come out of the woodwork. Plus she will be very unhappy about having the media (andgodknows what else) waiting for her (or following her) at every turn and every town.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:15:51 pm by tooseevee »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: July 05, 2020, 09:01:13 pm
I agree wholeheartedly with the last two observations above.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #85 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:46 am
I just watched the video where she bought the new used bike. I can't believe that video is only 2 days old and already has 288 dislikes. Unreal.

Dislikes? That's just stupid. Sure, it's not a Himalayan or even a Royal Enfield, but it's eminently suitable for what she wants. I'm as nuts about my Himmy as the next nutter, but I'm not about to give dislikes to someone who chooses differently (of course, a mate who does so would get teased mercilessly).
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: July 06, 2020, 11:53:13 am
Dislikes? That's just stupid. Sure, it's not a Himalayan or even a Royal Enfield, but it's eminently suitable for what she wants. I'm as nuts about my Himmy as the next nutter, but I'm not about to give dislikes to someone who chooses differently (of course, a mate who does so would get teased mercilessly).

This kind of ridiculous, nonsensical, sometimes vicious tribalism is nothing new here in the States. It's been going on for many, many years and it's not only what you ride - it has saturated every subject now and that's all I'm gonna say right now. It has become easy now to be attacked for ANYthing including ideas. And it Did Not start 5 years ago, it did not start 10 years ago, it did not start 40 years ago. It has been brewing and bubbling dat by day, week by week, year by year since the early 1900s.   

This is just ONE reason I fear for Noraly (and my own granddaughters for that matter) once she reaches the U.S.. Hundreds shot, many killed in a dozen cities over the weekend. Read your history, my friends  :) It's no longer being taught in our "schools"  >:( :([/img]

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: July 06, 2020, 02:41:28 pm
I never did understand why the H-D "faithful" would call the Sportster a "girls" bike. Anyone recall the Sportster XLCH from the 1960's? It was one of the most powerful motorcycles of its time and one that only men could handle.  ;)  My how the times have changed.

Anyway I agree that the Honda 500 twin that Noraly bought is a perfect motorcycle for touring Europe and I think she made a wise choice.  :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: July 06, 2020, 03:49:00 pm
I never did understand why the H-D "faithful" would call the Sportster a "girls" bike. Anyone recall the Sportster XLCH from the 1960's? It was one of the most powerful motorcycles of its time and one that only men could handle.  ;)  My how the times have changed.

It's not a universal truth that we all call sportsters girl's bikes. There are millions of sportsters out there being ridden to death in all manner of ways by guys who may also have a road king in their shed. They are ridden in iron butt cross country madness, no-support runs every year by hundreds of guys, more probably thousands.

It's just another thing to go on and on about about harleys that are either not true or urban myths or politics or whatever. I never wasted one brain cell since I was 12 (70 years ago) on the subject.

My son rode one for 10 years (from 16 to 26) and kept up with the pack just fine and no one I remember ever called it a girls' bike. 

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: July 08, 2020, 12:02:55 am
           It's not a universal truth that we all call sportsters girl's bikes. There are millions of sportsters out there being ridden to death in all manner of ways by guys who may also have a road king in their shed. They are ridden in iron butt cross country madness, no-support runs every year by hundreds of guys, more probably thousands.

It's just another thing to go on and on about about harleys that are either not true or urban myths or politics or whatever. I never wasted one brain cell since I was 12 (70 years ago) on the subject.

My son rode one for 10 years (from 16 to 26) and kept up with the pack just fine and no one I remember ever called it a girls' bike.

People are jerks. It has always been this way. Noraly is the reason I pay for my YouTube subscription instead of watching commercials. Every one of her videos has some thumbs downs. Those people should just die and make this a better place for the rest of us, but that won't happen.

We have forum members who also make videos. None are up to Noraly's standards, but even if I disagreed with something that was said I would never give a thumb down. It takes hard work and a special talent to make something watchable, much less entertaining.

And that Honda 500 is a cool bike!