Author Topic: Itchy Boots - Patagonia to Alaska  (Read 19162 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: October 11, 2019, 12:32:32 pm
She's on her way!

https://youtu.be/MSQroSjsnrM

I got an email notification about her latest video posting, and I went to watch it right away.  There were no comments when I got there.  I immediately watched the video, and when I was done I refreshed the page - over 80 comments.

The video is 15 minutes long; less than eight minutes after posting it, she already had four thumbs-down dislikes.  People are weird...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:56:38 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, mattsz.  I am on my way to watching her video.  I agree with you. I just don't understand why anyone would "dislike" the Itchy Boots videos.  If they don't like them, don't watch them.  There is something strange going on and I just can't understand the motivations of these haters.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
There were a couple of comments saying they didn't like the intro music [I preferred the old intro too] but that's no reason for a thumbs down, surely?

Amazing Young Woman!

Frank

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:07 pm
Thanks for the heads-up, mattsz.  I am on my way to watching her video.  I agree with you. I just don't understand why anyone would "dislike" the Itchy Boots videos.  If they don't like them, don't watch them.  There is something strange going on and I just can't understand the motivations of these haters.  :(

I think you perfectly well understand the motivations just as well as I do. Anyone who has been watching the evolution of how this kind of attitude has been developing over the past 70 years, steadily and progressively, understands how and why we have come to this.

And it is ubiquitous out there now in EVERY area and EVERY aspect of human, political, sociological, discourse and it is constantly reinforced and nurtured by a media and a government that thrives on it and makes political points on it and millions of dollars on it.

And you and I both know you understand how this has happened.

No one can even disCUSS a subject any more, even if whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow.

Be It Resolved: The sun will come up tomorrow.

"No. No. You're wrong. You're Evil. You're a sinner. Scream him down. You should be in jail. Let's burn something. You're wearing the wrong T-Shirt"!!   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:08:53 pm
           I think you perfectly well understand the motivations just as well as I do. Anyone who has been watching the evolution of how this kind of attitude has been developing over the past 70 years, steadily and progressively, understands how and why we have come to this.

And it is ubiquitous out there now in EVERY area and EVERY aspect of human, political, sociological, discourse and it is constantly reinforced and nurtured by a media and a government that thrives on it and makes political points on it and millions of dollars on it.

And you and I both know you understand how this has happened.

No one can even disCUSS a subject any more, even if whether or not the sun will come up tomorrow.

Be It Resolved: The sun will come up tomorrow.

"No. No. You're wrong. You're Evil. You're a sinner. Scream him down. You should be in jail. Let's burn something. You're wearing the wrong T-Shirt"!!

It is a sad situation, for sure.   :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:59:11 pm
mattsz:  You beat me to it but thanks.  I was going to start a brand new thread like this one. :)

On a positive note, Noraly's video now has had over 47,000 viewings with 7600 thumbs up and there are only 38 thumbs down.  I guess we could expect to see 38 A-holes among 47,000 people.

Boy!  14 hours of sitting on an airplane, 5 hours of dealing with officials and then riding thru traffic that makes the LA freeways look like a cake walk.  She deserved the rest she finally got.  I know I would have been reduced to zombie status, just barely running on autopilot after all of that.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 06:46:12 pm
Noraly is truly a special person and should be an ambassador for humankind.  I have watched her videos from day one... and, somehow,  she always found the time to reply to my e-mails and questions.  I really hope that when she gets to Alaska that she'll find her way to my neck of the woods as I would like to shake her hand and thank her for all of the good karma and kindness she spreads in the world.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 06:49:04 pm
On a positive note, Noraly's video now has had over 47,000 viewings with 7600 thumbs up and there are only 38 thumbs down.  I guess we could expect to see 38 A-holes among 47,000 people.

0.08% - I see a much  higher ratio where I work...  :(

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:21 pm
I just watched the second half of Itchy Boots first ride from Buenos Aires .

I must have got the jump on all the others because I was #198.

Here's a link to the adventure but if you haven't seen it, watch this one first.  It is the first half of the first days ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqp2CHF91DU

This second half of the ride has her fixing her flat rear tire and, she did it !!  It took her over 2 hours but she had never actually done it before and as I think back thru the years, the first time I had to fix a flat on my motorcycles rear wheel it took me almost as long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nTfs6xWlQM

Enjoy. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:02:33 pm
On my mobile device that 'thumbs down' icon is so close to center screen that I like to think a fair portion of those recorded dislikes are just folks mistakenly tapping it while trying to scroll down to the Comments section, which is where true douchebaggery dwells.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 11:16:50 pm
I just watched the second half of Itchy Boots first ride from Buenos Aires .

This second half of the ride has her fixing her flat rear tire and, she did it !!  It took her over 2 hours but she had never actually done it before and as I think back thru the years, the first time I had to fix a flat on my motorcycles rear wheel it took me almost as long.

I got to Eps. 8 really late; just a few hours ago.

I would go anywhere with this girl  :o :o And she's lucky, too. It could have been later in the day, it could have easily been raining.

I would take this girl with me to rob a bank next to a police station (actually that might not be a bad idea)  :) :) , but I'd make sure the city had no One Way streets  :) :)

"I'll just go a little bit on these one way streets. It'll be OK. Let's go".

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:58 pm
Well I think she made the tire change look easy. Fair play to her, looks like that Overlander visit might have helped out :). Looked like there was more space to get the tube in on the Himalayan wheel than on my B5 that's for sure.

Liking the kit she had for it. Think the disc side should have come off first though so the disc isn't on the ground when levering the tyre off and on. Think I'm correct on that?

Her linguistic skills are right up there. I'd be stuffed lol.

Soon be time for a fuel payment methinks.

I do wonder if Noraly has ever realised or read the huge support that she so well deserves on here.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 02:45:21 am
Hey tooseevee.  Did you see it? 
Yup. A real 2CV zipping thru the streets in the latest town Noraly went thru.
Well, maybe not zipping but at least it was running. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 01:54:46 pm
I saw that and so did Noraly.  Kind of rusty, but at least it was moving.  ;D  I also noticed that the last town she arrived at was having a street-blocking protest.  At least it seemed to be calm and nonviolent.  If it was me, after I settled down in my hotel room, I would have gone over to the blocked street and joined the crowd to see what a peaceful protest looked like. Sounds like a nice way to spend the afternoon.  ;)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 06:50:25 am
I finally got to deal with a flat rear tire by herself, and she dealt with it extremely well. She was even smart enough to carry a small bottle of lubricant to use when removing and reinstalling the tire bead. She definitely made the right choice in choosing a motorcycle with a centerstand. I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything she can't cope with. Wonderful lady and wonderful videos.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson