Author Topic: Engine shutting off Himalayan  (Read 3269 times)

Arv

• Neophyte
on: May 08, 2020, 07:21:54 pm
Hi I live in Dubai and wish to buy the Himalayan 2020 model. I tear rode it and well the decision to buy it had been a forgone conclusion it’s a bike that pulls the strings of my heart though I know I will not ride it much like an adventure way as the weather here is not really condusive. I get turned off by the fact that the engine shuts down if I don’t keep the throttle engaged. This sounds like the 70’s when the carb setting was to be redone. The dealer says this is how it is and will keep doing this. If this is the tank vent issue of BSVI then can I solve this by removing the venting system and buying a new fuel tank cap which is vented? Ot this issue is much deeper as I read so many earlier posts and made me more confused. Is there a way out to solve this problem.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:54:49 pm
That doesn't sound right to me. I think the dealer is giving you a load of BS.  Why would any manufacturer make a motorcycle that will not idle?  If they did no one would buy it. 

I have removed the air venting system on my RE Bullet and have it vented to directly to the air via the hose that vents the tank. I put a little air filter on the end of the hose to keep the dust out of the tank. The rest of the emission debris is stored in my junk closet just in case some future owner wants to reinstall it.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

darmahman

• I've lived in Colorado for the past 43 years.
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:33:10 am
Check the valves to see if the gap is correct. My bike used to die one time, every time upon leaving my driveway till I adjusted the valves.
Scram 411, Moto Guzzi V85, BMW R100GS, Road King, BMW R1200C , Suzuki DRZ-400E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:05:31 pm
Check the valves to see if the gap is correct. My bike used to die one time, every time upon leaving my driveway till I adjusted the valves.

That is a good point. I once owned a 1999 Suzuki GS500 and when it received its first service, the "technician" at the shop over-tightened the valve lash. When I picked it up it wouldn't idle and you had to keep the revs up above 2K or it would die.  The shop said nothing was wrong and to just go away.  When I arrived home, I let the bike cool down and checked the valve lash and there wasn't any.  After adjusting the valves correctly with the shim kit that I had bought, the bike idled perfectly from then on.  I never returned to that shop again.

So it is quite possible that the person who assembled the bike that you rode at the factory over-tightened the valve lash.  As I said before, they don't all do that.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 02:15:11 pm
Arv, I think Richard320 may have covered this but it sounds to me like the person you spoke with, at your dealer, is an idiot. When you turn the throttle off the bike is supposed to idle, not die. Best of luck with it.........I love the Himalayan.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:39:11 pm
Arv
You didn't say how many miles the Himalayan you rode has on it but it's possible the engine hasn't thoroughly broken in.

When new, the clearances in an engine and transmission are very tight and this can cause the engine to idle poorly or die while idling.  After the engine loosens up, the dying problem often goes away.  At least it did on my 500cc UCE Royal Enfield.

There is an idle speed adjustment screw on the throttle body that the dealer (or the owner) should turn to increase the idle speed during the break in period.  (If you by one and it needs adjustment, DO NOT try to do it by turning the screws next to the place the throttle cables attach.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dlapierre

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 09:25:45 pm
Here was the problem on mine, and the fix. Mine was shutting off just as described. The problem was the connector to the throttle position sensor...a 3 pin connector right at the sensor itself. It wasn't making good contact. I found the error accidentally after both adjusting the idle as well as the sensor settings as I searched for the cause of the problem.
I unplugged and plugged the connector back in 3 or 4 times and only when it was well connected did the bike idle perfectly at low rpm and not stall after 5-10 seconds or so.

For insurance, I sprayed the connector pins with electrical contact spray, the kind you use for cleaning carbon potentiometers on radios and and fine electronic contacts.
It runs fine, now.

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 03:16:26 pm
Don't buy the bike, at least not from this dealership. 

Who sells a new bike that doesn't idle and tells a potential customer it's normal?  And if you get a bike, never take it to this dealer for service.  They'll just tell you that's how it is.