Author Topic: Oil level window leaks  (Read 465 times)

Ianmac

• Scooter
on: February 22, 2024, 04:22:39 pm
I have an oil leak from the level window of my ‘09 500 Classic. The Haynes manual and YouTube say it should be retained by a circlip but the Hitchcocks part book exploded view for 09 doesn’t show it and my bike doesn’t have one. Is it missing or do the early UCEs not have one?

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 06:19:00 pm
Do you have a groove for a clip to seat into?
Off route, recalculate?

Ianmac

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 07:45:45 pm
My window seems to be further out than the ones I saw with circlips. I tried pressing it in with no luck so I don’t know if there is no groove or if the window edge is covering it.

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 09:47:42 pm
The window is well supported from the back so don't worry about pushing it too far.
Off route, recalculate?

Ianmac

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:00:27 am
Thanks. I’ve pried out the window and on mine there is no groove for a circlip. I will press a new one in with some sealant. I guess the later adding of the clip speaks for itself!

MowgliB5

• Scooter
  • My Bullet is Mowgli…
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 07:10:49 pm
Mine has a slight leak from the level window too I noticed it tonight and mine has the clip. Can the seal be replaced in situ can anyone tell me? Also out of interest is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

MowgliB5

• Scooter
  • My Bullet is Mowgli…
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 03:35:27 pm
Mine has a slight leak from the level window too I noticed it tonight and mine has the clip. Can the seal be replaced in situ can anyone tell me? Also out of interest is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Well found out where my oil is going and it’s not the sight glass.
I topped up the engine oil and went to work the next day and back (40 mile round trip) and no oil in sight glass again. Looking under the engine I discover the gear change seal is leaking well.

I absolutely love the tyres off the bike and will never sell it, however I was a bit pigged off.
2017 with 1800 miles from new, leaks more than an old Triumph!!!

After reading on the internet it seams this is a very common problem with the bullets which made me feel better!!

I have to praise Hitchcocks Motorcycles. I purchased a seal kit from their site yesterday afternoon and it arrived earlier today… What excellent service!!!

I have purchased a few things from them for my bike and each time they have been faultless.

Well I know what I am doing this weekend!!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 03:39:17 pm by MowgliB5 »