Author Topic: Service costs  (Read 3873 times)

Johnq

• Scooter
  • Looks like rain again
on: March 07, 2021, 07:34:09 pm
Hi all, I've just a few hundred miles  on my tribute black and was wondering what sort of service costs I can expect in the future,
Looks like rain again
500 tribute black
Monster 695
B25 277 special
Ducati st3 992

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 10:48:20 pm
first off i'd get into the habit of doing the services yourself if thats possible...its pretty easy to do just some oil and filter and chain adjustments. no need for fancy oil either just good old cheap semi synthetic.

i've used the above oil in penrite 10w-50 hpr gas 10 on roughly 15 new UCE bikes and never had an issue. once my bike arrives the very first and most importantant thing to do is toss the bosche plug and replace it with a NGKBP6ES.....and an even better move. keep your bike stock till at least you run the bike in carefully for 1000 miles or close to it.

first oil and filter drop i'd do would be a between 100 and 200 miles and the next at 500 miles and again at 1000 miles.

saying that though these later motors are much cleaner inside than previous years when the guys on the assembly line appeared to wear cotton style gloves which picked up fluff and made its way in or through the internals.

i have a new bullet or B5 in transit now so shortly i will see for myself how well they are in the internals or better still if its assembled any better than my last purchase.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:53:47 am
What wildbill said.

If you don't have one, it might be smart to buy a 1/4 and a 3/8 drive torque wrenches. The screws and castings on these bikes seem pretty easy to damage. Lots of people have stripped the thread in the oil drain plug hole. It only needs to be nipped up lightly.

My local dealer expected to be paid somewhere around the $300 mark for very little work: oil and filter change and a look around.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Antipodean Andrew

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 01:32:17 am
There is the warranty to take into account. My warranty says it is a prerequisite that the scheduled service work is carried out by the authorized distributors service facility or their authorized dealership's service facility.

My first service is coming up shortly and I will get the dealer to do it just in case I need to make a warranty claim at some time. I can do oil changes and filter changes in between the scheduled service intervals and take over maintenance once the warranty period is over.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 01:54:05 am
What WildBill and Gizzo said, except to point out that WB's favored Ozzie brand of Penrite oil can be VERY hard to find without having to dodge wallabies and then run a gauntlet of fetching Koalas with chlamydia in the parking lot. And that if you need to choose between a ⅜" or ¼" torque wrench, as Gizzo recommends, go for the smaller one. Many (though by no means all) of the ⅜" ones, particularly the less expensive brands, don't go right down into those single digit footpounds settings called for with certain Bullet fasteners. But in a pinch even a humble fish scale and some maths will do the job (With 12 inches to a foot, got a 6 inch long combination spanner? Pull it with the scale and double the reading. For a 4 incher "stubby" just treble it to find the FOOTpounds, OK?).

Also, those short "stubby spanners" I mentioned, and maybe a nice little stubby ratchet, are your new special friends, especially for reassembling or tightening, as is a medium threadlocker compound like "Loctite". Their smaller lengths will really help keep you from giving anything too much of a heave-ho and thereby stripping those sometimes fragile threads.

I agree that you shouldn't be intimidated by doing your own servicing. I would only add that for warranty purposes you should keep scrupulous records of your purchases and work. Receipts stapled or pasted into a notebook with dated descriptions with odometer readings of all work done on the bike written onto the facing pages might provide more convincing documentation for later warranty claims than an old sock stuffed full of Tesco receipts, if it came to that. Here in the States we have Federal Laws upholding our rights to splash used multigrade all over the family dog ourselves and not void the vehicle warranty, but yonder in your Sceptered Isle, where I presume you reside, I'm not quite so sure what the warranty rules are. Also, should you ever sell the bike, presenting such tidy records to a prospective buyer could only boost their confidence that the bike had been well cared for and fettled, and that you most likely hadn't just added whatever old chip oil was handy in the kitchen to the crankcase.

Also, if you're new to what we "Colonials" call "wrenching", you may be pleased to learn that the venerable British firm of Haynes has published a service manual for your ride, as found here on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enfield-Bullet-Continental-Service-Repair/dp/1785214276, while the equally estimable Pete Snidal's Service Manual for your newer style of Unit Construction Engine (or "UCE") Bullet can be purchased here: http://www.enfield.20m.com/uce1.htm. Both of these guides will have those all-important torque settings.

Oh, and welcome to the Horde of the Archaic!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:44:18 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 02:47:00 am
There is the warranty to take into account. My warranty says it is a prerequisite that the scheduled service work is carried out by the authorized distributors service facility or their authorized dealership's service facility.

My first service is coming up shortly and I will get the dealer to do it just in case I need to make a warranty claim at some time. I can do oil changes and filter changes in between the scheduled service intervals and take over maintenance once the warranty period is over.

That all depends on NZ consumer law. That'll be easy enough to find out. The dealers over here (all brands not just Enfield) try the same scam on to force customers back to them. Truth is any workshop with qualified staff can work on your bike in the warranty period. I took my GT to a local Harley workshop (not dealer) for a couple of warranty issues after the dealer f...ed it right up. They have a mechanic there who knows Enfields and even cares about what he's doing. No worries. Just keep reciepts, per Bilgemasters' advice.

Also, welcome to the good old days.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 11:58:52 am
Well they will be low you can service most of it your self, mind you if any of the ECU components fail could be costly, also any brake work being abs you will need main dealer code readers to bleed it, l hope it's not like BMW for the sake of your wallet.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 02:08:21 pm
I use 3/8" and 1/4" sockets. I use a Craftsman 3/8" torque wrench for the heavier hardware.
  For light torque RE hardware I got a 1/4" torque wrench. It calibrates in inch pounds and deci newton meters.

I have the Haynes manuals. But, you can also download for free, from this forum. That's thanks to Hitchcock's.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 07:47:45 am
What brand name of 1/4" torque wrench do you use? I’ve been looking for a good one.

REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 09:54:47 am
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 12:17:59 pm
I use one of these for the under 20nm stuff and a Norbar for bigger stuff.
Good quality with a test certificate and not silly money.
https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/1-4-inch-torque-wrench-TRQWRNCH-RTCH-1-4IN-4-20NM-/071471%2020.sku/WuerthGroup-Wuerth.cgid/en/GB/GBP/?ReplacementProduct=false&CampaignName=SR001&VisibleSearchTerm=Torque
Off route, recalculate?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 01:41:22 pm

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 02:06:34 pm
WURTH!

Its what I said.?
WURTH for under 20nm and I have a Norbar that I use for over 20nm.
Off route, recalculate?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 07:07:07 pm
I bought one of these
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bicycle-Bike-Repair-Tools-Kit-Bike-Torque-Wrench-Allen-Key-Tool-Socket-Set-AU/143373374625?hash=item2161b814a1:g:tLIAAOSwL1VfJNyS
It's for bicycles. Works well.

That's a nice kit. Meanwhile, for those of us here in the really cheap, like nosebleed seats, in 'Murica, here's a look at the accuracy and torture test durability of those ultra-cheapo (about $10 Americano) Harbor Freight offerings: https://youtu.be/ivbCFNhm1cc

Executive Summary: Not too shabby accuracy-wise and can take beating.

And here's a never-expiring $5 Off coupon for "Pittsburgh Ratchets" that should get a 1/4 incher out the door today for...(clickity-clack noises)...$14.99, though they quite often go on sale: http://www.hfqpdb.com/view_coupon/17525
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 12:23:57 am
What brand name of 1/4" torque wrench do you use? I’ve been looking for a good one.

Looks like eTORK. etork.com. I believe I bought it on amazon.