Author Topic: oil sump screen maintanance  (Read 9863 times)

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 02:21:24 pm
I just did the first oil change at 303 miles and was surprised at the oil color as it appears to have quite a bit of discoloration to it from the initial break in. All the valves were tight as well. I surmise that not doing any oil changes or valve adjustments created a very bad environment in that sump clogging the screen.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 03:37:49 pm
I just did the first oil change at 303 miles and was surprised at the oil color as it appears to have quite a bit of discoloration to it from the initial break in. All the valves were tight as well. I surmise that not doing any oil changes or valve adjustments created a very bad environment in that sump clogging the screen.

Prior to the screen fully clogging, the oil filter was likely bypassing a lot also only compounding the problem. And half those miles down in Mexico could have been off road
with a lot of clutch riding. Maybe even some hillclimbes thrown in, LoL You never know huh
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 03:51:54 pm
I know why I missed seeing this....the part is buried on the same line on page 30 as the magnetic drain plug.

In any case it is just a clean and reinstall part....no need to buy or replace this every 10K as was posted by someone. Pretty inconvenient to remove the damn oil pan though.  Will see what this looks like at my next oil change and decide on future frequency.

Totally agree!

Other than the first service, those service manual inspect & clean intervals must be for absolute worst case scenarios
You will know when you see the screen what a reasonable amount of miles before your next inspection should be.

I think maybe you could even get a small lighted bore scope in under the screen for a look?

Maybe I'll pick up another pan and modify it for quick and easy inspection of that screen if the scope thing doesn't work.
Definitely not dropping the pan all the time just for a peek!

On the other hand, glad these modern classic bikes aren't the genuine classic ticking time bombs with no fine element oil filtration and sludge traps to plug we had to ride back in the day :)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:58:36 pm by Dr Mayhem »
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 07:32:02 pm
Received a sump strainer from Western Cycle Supply yesterday (fast service) and the part is obviously quite robust and well made looking.

Screen much finer than I was expecting! Hard for me to believe shops aren't looking at them first service  :o
Guy
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning