Author Topic: Tappet Door Leak  (Read 303 times)

RobinV

• Scooter
on: March 09, 2024, 12:39:50 am
Hello fellow Royal Enfield owners. I have owned Brit bikes over the years but not a Royal Enfield until now. Second day of riding and I have a good leak at the tappet door. Removed the four Allens and figured it would pop right off, most likely needing me to make a new paper gasket. It seems stubborn, and since my manual has not arrived I did not want to force it. I tapped a few times but it is still in place.
  Is it truly just a keep tapping until it frees thing? Am I on the right track? Appreciate any input. I truly enjoy riding the little beauty. Thanks for any help on this. Robin

RobinV

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 12:41:15 am
Sorry, it is a 2011 500cc Bullet.

RobinV

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 03:16:59 am
Found my answer. A careful sharp tap freed the plate. This bike has just 2k miles, and appeared to be running the original plug. I will make a gasket tomorrow.

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 10:35:07 am
It is sufficient to use liquid gasket, no paper gasket is necessary.

You can find a Service Manual here:
http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/spip/spip.php?article612

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 01:26:57 pm
Welcome to the forum!  Glad you got the tappet cover tapped loose.   ;D They really are fun bikes to ride. May you enjoy yours for many miles to come!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Silverback

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 05:00:53 am
 welcome! I had that happen a while back. I don't like using the liquid gasket if I can avoid it. I purchased a couple gaskets from Hitchcock's.  The original bolts wouldn't snug up or would vibrate loose
 I went to hardware store purchased new . The Allen heads were deeper and more substantial.  They snuggled the plate right up and resolved issue.

2011 uce classic 500,  carb converted and trails bars.