Author Topic: handle bars take II  (Read 4850 times)

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 07:29:16 am
I installed Biltwell Tracker handlebars, the low version if memory serves. They look good and no issues with the switchgear, they are just low enough to get the right feel for me anyway.

For me the choice came down to styling, fuel capacity and a standard center stand otherwise the GT had the ergonomics that I would have preferred. With the lower bars and bar end mirrors the INT is set up pretty well, again personal preference. Still adjusting to the foot peg position  :)

Have a look at the foot peg re locator kit that hitchocks have. Might sort you out.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:14 am
When you think back to the very 1st motorbike as the inventor pondered how to get it to go round corners said "a bit of bent pipe will do the trick" things have not really changed that much since then. I reckon some adjustable bars will solve a lot of problems. Something like a  "U" section bolted to the yoke with sliding / rotating grip parts bolted to that, with an addition of a universal joint for the deLuxe model. There should be no reason, strength wise, why this should not work. Back in the 60's I remember these as adjustable Ace bars, a lot of folk used to fit them up side down to acheive riding comfort.

I made a plate to move my bars rearward about an inch and they are pretty much perfect for me with no cableing issues.

The only thing the Interceptor is annoying me with is the position of the footrests, they are right where I want to put my feet down and are always catching on my boots. With the giant bubble "chaincase" in the way making repositioning the RH peg slightly forward appear not to be a simple solution. British manufacturers are not good at communicating between different departments especially it would seem the Engine Dept and the Footrest Dept at RE.

There are two options...1..hitchocks peg relocation kit,..2..Indimotoard highway foot peg kit. I used the hitchocks kit and dropped the pegs about 30mm. Feet seem to miss the pegs now.  The other kit makes them similar to the  classic bullet position.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 11:13:48 am
Tec Bike Parts told me the Indimotard kit results in the shift pattern being reversed.  Not good.
They said they are working on a kit to move the pegs forward a couple inches and down a bit and should have it available "soon".
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 12:07:09 pm
I have worked out that getting the gear change side foot peg to relocate forward will not present a problem as there is lots of space for the clever stuff to happen. It is the brake side that has stopped me from proceeding. The Zeppelin "chain case" sticks out way too far for the pegs to move forward without then moving outwards which is counter productive if you want to avoid snagging boots and trousers with the resultant circus act to stay vertical.
At present I am considering solid pegs as that would save on the space taken up with the hinges or, just making some shorter pegs.
Being old and lazy and wishing to save as much of my engergy as possible, having a selection of bikes to ride are other reasons for the delay. I am, however, closer to what I would consider the easiest workable solution with with the minimum inconvenience.
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee
2018 Royal Enfield Bullet
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 04:07:14 pm
Sorry to have brought footrests to a handlebar discussion, my excuse, they are all interdependent on each other. Any how, later on today I made some 22mm 7/8" shorter footpegs to try out (tomorrow) on the bike. Sitting on the stationary bike going Brmmm Brmmm they seem to be quite a bit better but the distractions of the road will see if the idea has any merit. The pegs are already down and forward a bit with an "adapter" plate. Photo no 3 makes the pegs look like matchsticks, its just an illusion
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:15:33 pm
The issue I have with the foot pegs is how wide they are, I’m ok with the fore/aft placement and would not want them further forward. A bit back and in would be perfect. :)

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 09:35:18 am
For me, when riding the pegs are quite comfortably placed its just that when I stop and have to put my feet down they get in the way. I have ridden many bikes over the years and the Interceptor is the only one with this annoyance. I tried a Hitchcocks footrest kit and that moved the pegs out even farther which is why I made my own.
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:10 pm
I tried a Hitchcocks footrest kit and that moved the pegs out even farther which is why I made my own.
Nice work on your fabricated foot pegs.
Curious, when you refer to the "Hitchcocks footrest kit". Is that the same as their relocation plate item?
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Footrests/40215
If so_ are you saying that the pivot point of the peg itself is further out from the center-line of the bike?
Or are you saying the foot pegs are longer than the OEM?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

58webbing

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 08:00:10 pm
The Hitchcocks plates are 10mm thick and therefore space the pegs out that extra amount. I made some 6mm thick plates which only reposition  the plates in the direction I need (down and forward) I later machined off the bosses from the original brackets which then returned the "span" distances the same as the factory.  Todays ride has shown the reduced length of the pegs works perfectly and they did not catch on my boots so easiliy. I am now searching out some folding pegs to use as a basis of "the final solution" I have reattached the photos of my version of these plates currently in use.
2019 Honda CB650R
2020 SurRon Light Bee

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 09:00:10 pm
The Hitchcocks plates are 10mm thick and therefore space the pegs out that extra amount. I made some 6mm thick plates which only reposition  the plates in the direction I need (down and forward) I later machined off the bosses from the original brackets which then returned the "span" distances the same as the factory.  Todays ride has shown the reduced length of the pegs works perfectly and they did not catch on my boots so easiliy. I am now searching out some folding pegs to use as a basis of "the final solution" I have reattached the photos of my version of these plates currently in use.
Very Nice!  I suppose you will find some folding pillion pegs hat are just right.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R