Author Topic: flaky carb  (Read 3028 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 04:38:47 pm
I get the impression that Wassell's Amal Mk1 clone is one of their more successful ideas of late.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 10:22:48 pm
The one I bought has certainly worked very well so far. Hopefully it won’t suffer from the quoted fault with blockage of the pilot jet, or bush.
Paul W.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 05:53:37 am
Fuel Filter? I have a hardware store clear 40 micron unit on my Bullet because "red dust" was collecting in the float bowl. The float needle won't really seal with grit under the seat. Even the viton tipped needles aren't real happy with grit of any sort. Before thinking about different carbs, attention to the basics goes a long way. Install a 10 - 40 micron clear filter, gas will pass but crud stops cold. Make sure the float bowl doesn't show any crud build up. Pull the petcock and flush the tank with some clean gas. I got an amazing amount of red crud when I pulled my petcock. Floats are mechanical contraptions, but perform very reliably when clean & adjusted. The best $300 Amal carb you can buy won't work right if it's full of silt.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Pond Snail

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 11:12:19 pm
I always add a fuel filter to any motorcycle I have had, except the K75 which already has one  ;), as AzCal Retred put it so well, nothing will work if it gets full of muck, maybe not an issue with you're tank uvellani, but it certainly won't hurt  :).

Well as long as it does not leek.....  ;)..

I should add that I am with others on this, initially make sure what you have is in good order, ie the float valve, it is possible for the valve to sometimes get stuck, or perhaps a bit of debris, the black Viton tip should be smooth, with no ridges, although you can often see a mark where it sits up against the brass female part of the valve, but it should not have an actual wear ridge. 

Changing this one item, the valve assembly, can give a carb a new lease of life.

John  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:19:26 pm by Pond Snail »
2007 Electra X