Author Topic: 1st to 2nd Shift  (Read 16407 times)

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 03:40:25 am
Most of the shifting problems being reported magically disappear when the shift lever is adjusted to the riding position of the rider and the clutch is adjusted to the proper specs. In the first 500 miles I probably had three false neutrals. None since.
I already adjusted the shift lever to my feet size and riding position (expected that the stock position may not fit for somebody 6ft6" tall, wearing 12 size boots). But I will follow your suggestion and ask the dealer to check the clutch adjustment. Thanks for the hint!

Daddy V

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 06:59:41 pm
Same here, most of the time. Sometimes the shift slips smoothly and silently into 2nd but that's the exception.

Hey, this is the very same problem I've been facing. Sometimes it's very smooth but then most of the time 1st to 2nd is gritty and clunks into place.
I will be taking my bike to the service centre next week. Will keep this thread posted on what the guys over there have to say about this
Thanks.

Daddy V

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 07:01:58 pm
Daddy v,  is that 4 thousand kilometres.   I recently posted a view that the GT has a more positive gear change than the Interceptor, which can only be the linkage / leverage.  Assuming that your chain is adjusted correctly ?  If owners could give us thumbs up or down on both models we could solve a common problem. As a last thought,  has anybody had a gearbox failure?

Hey, yes it's 4000 kilometers. I've read about the linkage too. Will be taking it to the service centre this week.
Thanks

Daddy V

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:02 pm
Does the cable need adjusting up a bit. They can stretch a bit during the early days. I usually set around 3/32" (2-2.5 mm) free play on mine. Also have a look at the linkage mount and move it around a notch for more direct leverage if necessary. You will have to readjust the screw shaft length if doing this. It may also be the oil needing a change.

Hey, I will look into the linkage position.
Thanks.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 07:39:47 pm
My Interceptor is brand spanking new, less than 100 miles on it, and shifting is smooth as butter, positive, neutral easy to find and no false neutrals.  I am in Nampa, Idaho USA.

2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

ATXConti650

• Piltdowne Mann - Old Fart - New Bike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 09:04:23 pm
My Continental just broke through the 900 mile mark. Have kept RPMs between 3,000 and 4,000 until recently when I have allowed myself to do some short transportation sections of a ride at 4,500 with shifting sometimes occurring at 5,000. Longest rides have been an hour out and back with rest and snack at the turn around point. Taking it super duper easy as I have never owned a brand spanking new motorcycle and I want this one to last until I'm too old (at 67.5 years now).

Any issues with shifting have been a result of a clumsy user (me). Otherwise smooth and quiet.

Neutral to first gear clonk much quieter than a BMW r65ls I owned.

I typically let motor idle while I put on riding gear; helmet, prescription glasses (real juggling match with a full face helmet), jacket, and gloves. Don't know how long it takes but then again haven't headed out into blistering cold weather so I figure the motor warms up okay.

Regular oil changes with suggested pokes and prods to spokes, chain, nuts and bolts.

All good so far as described in various online articles from different countries and suggested in YouTube videos from different countries as well.

Looking to get a set of hard bags to facilitate some long range trips with camping, hotels or hostels if they can be found in the USofA (Yeehaw).
2019 Continental GT 650 Black Magic, 1979 Kreidler M19, 1953 Kreidler K50, 2013 Suzuki Savage 650 Single Cylinder Thumper

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 09:49:17 am
Looking to get a set of hard bags to facilitate some long range trips with camping, hotels or hostels if they can be found in the USofA (Yeehaw).

Have you found the riding position on the GT 650 comfortable for long range trips?
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 05:26:05 pm
 Many thanks to all of you who could be bothered to answer,  it does seem likely that the remote gear change and / or lever adjustment is the culprit.  Most owner's would agree that at ideal engine / road speed's that the gearbox is superb, and that nowhere has there been a failure. 

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 09:13:54 pm
My Continental just broke through the 900 mile mark. Have kept RPMs between 3,000 and 4,000 until recently when I have allowed myself to do some short transportation sections of a ride at 4,500 with shifting sometimes occurring at 5,000. Longest rides have been an hour out and back with rest and snack at the turn around point. Taking it super duper easy as I have never owned a brand spanking new motorcycle and I want this one to last until I'm too old (at 67.5 years now).

Any issues with shifting have been a result of a clumsy user (me). Otherwise smooth and quiet.

Neutral to first gear clonk much quieter than a BMW r65ls I owned.

I typically let motor idle while I put on riding gear; helmet, prescription glasses (real juggling match with a full face helmet), jacket, and gloves. Don't know how long it takes but then again haven't headed out into blistering cold weather so I figure the motor warms up okay.

Regular oil changes with suggested pokes and prods to spokes, chain, nuts and bolts.

All good so far as described in various online articles from different countries and suggested in YouTube videos from different countries as well.

Hard bags will be limited by the upswept exhaust. I would consider the Indian made (AEW I think, 201) mufflers to give you more room. Viking bags are well made and not too costly like some European brands. They are universal fit so are a fiddly figuring them out. I have a set on my Triumph. Fake leather over hard plastic. Lockable and waterproof.

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:04 am
On the gearshift issue I find the box on my 1500 mile Interceptor to be superb going up but unfortunately the same cant be said coming down. Out on the road changing down for a bend is no issue but stopping for junctions is where the problem lies.
The box doesn't like going down several gears sequentially, either a s a block change or releasing the clutch each time. Anyone else have this issue or can suggest a cure for mine? I've adjusted both the clutch lever and gear lever to no avail.
Any and all thoughts welcome.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 09:02:33 am
How's your chain tension? That can have an effect on gear change quality.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

5SpeedRacer

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 12:34:05 pm
How's your chain tension? That can have an effect on gear change quality.

Yeah, it's spot on as well. As I say the actual change is good, it just doesn't like coming down the box to a standstill. Any bike I've had before would accept multiple downchanges either with one clutch pull or a clutch pull for each change. My Interceptor is happy with one downchange, clutch out to engage some drive then another downchange but not changes one after the other. I'm wondering if the slipper clutch may have something to do with it, maybe not re-engaging unless there is a load on it?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 01:40:53 pm
Sometimes changing the angle of the shift lever can improve changing gears.  Perhaps raising the lever slightly will provide a more positive downshift. It has worked for me on other motorcycles.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:04 pm
I can do multiple down shifts on a single clutch pull....but only have tried it in higher gears...such as 6,5,4....or 4,3,2, etc. 

Many (most) vehicles (cars, bikes) don't like to be shifted into first from second, unless you are either fully stopped, or going really, really slowly!  At least this is my experience.  I had many cars which did not have "syncro" first.

Cookie

Yeah, it's spot on as well. As I say the actual change is good, it just doesn't like coming down the box to a standstill. Any bike I've had before would accept multiple downchanges either with one clutch pull or a clutch pull for each change. My Interceptor is happy with one downchange, clutch out to engage some drive then another downchange but not changes one after the other. I'm wondering if the slipper clutch may have something to do with it, maybe not re-engaging unless there is a load on it?

Husqy

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 10:43:45 am
Only 1000 miles on my Interceptor ,and every thing as smooth as silk , gearbox , engine ,brakes and the riding position
it's a real  joy to ride , even on our mostly crappy UK roads !!!   :D