Author Topic: S&S Mufflers and Revelry Headers — Power Commander?  (Read 2426 times)

Ironhart

• Scooter
Hello from Ontario, Canada!

I just bought the 2021 Continental 650! I also bought some Revelry open header pipes and SS mufflers. I am a new when it comes to modifying! Questions for those with experience:

1. I am having a terrible time locating the copper header gaskets (576287). Anyone know where I can get these in North America?

2. Does anyone know where I can download a PDF parts number manual? Using the Hitchcock site right now.

3. The big question: Can I put the Revelry open pipes and SS mufflers on without also having a Power Commander and retuning the air-fuel mixture? I was told by Revelry that slapping them on without the retune can damage the engine because it will be running too lean. I won’t put in the upgraded air-filter right now either so it will mainly be aesthetic and hopefully louder so cars can hear me! I certainly plan on getting the upgraded filter, Power Commander, and a Dyno tune (plus the big bore) but not just right now as I am working with a budget. As I said, I am new to engines and modifications; the Revelry person has me frightened of damaging my engine!

Any thoughts/ ideas/suggestions you might be able to provide are *greatly* appreciated.

Thank you in advance  :)

Ironhart

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:20:06 pm by Ironhart »

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:28:20 pm
I'm dong the same.  Different parts but free flow headers and mufflers.  I don't have a tuner but will be trying a Booster Plug soon.   I have not installed the headers yet

Gaskets can be bought at GoMoto.  No website but email is here.  gomotomn@gmail.com
Go Moto of Minnesota, Inc
3346 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:27:31 pm
Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the forum.

I totally understand mod-fever, done much of that myself.  Modding can be worthwhile and fun but be VERY skeptical of ANY claims by sellers of the benefits of their products.  Claims of increases in horsepower, torque, ED relief, and other improvements can easily be slanted to put the products in the best light.   

The popular air filter and exhaust mods have their good points and many members here have made these changes for one reason or another but the real life improvements are usually subtle.

Personally, the mods that have made the most noticeable "improvement" for my bike have been simple.  Better tires and a more comfortable seat. 

You'll be getting a ton of opinions thrown at you about "must haves" but really the bone stock bike is awfully good, particularly considering the price.

Have fun. 8)

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 09:55:37 pm
Ironhart,

Our site sponsor, Hitchcock’s, has the header gaskets in stock. You can look under the parts book to find them. Pretty reasonable shipping over all, though I’m not sure what it’ll cost for such a small order.

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 07:27:49 am
3. The big question: Can I put the Revelry open pipes and SS mufflers on without also having a Power Commander and retuning the air-fuel mixture? I was told by Revelry that slapping them on without the retune can damage the engine because it will be running too lean. I won’t put in the upgraded air-filter right now either so it will mainly be aesthetic and hopefully louder so cars can hear me! I certainly plan on getting the upgraded filter, Power Commander, and a Dyno tune (plus the big bore) but not just right now as I am working with a budget. As I said, I am new to engines and modifications; the Revelry person has me frightened of damaging my engine!

I'd be interested in who at Revelry told you that. I and a fellow 650GT rider were told the opposite. My mate went ahead and fitted their brushed stainless headers to S&S mufflers, he already had a free flowing air filter fitted. No tuning required and it runs perfectly. It continues to run perfectly.

Edit ... the people running Revelry are easy to deal with and reliable, when I had a question they couldn't answer on the spot THEY called me the next day with the answer.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:34:49 am by justonemore »

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 02:03:32 pm
I'm dong the same.  Different parts but free flow headers and mufflers.  I don't have a tuner but will be trying a Booster Plug soon.   I have not installed the headers yet

Gaskets can be bought at GoMoto.  No website but email is here.  gomotomn@gmail.com
Go Moto of Minnesota, Inc
3346 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412

Hi, thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I would love to know how the booster plug works out! I would consider buying it, definitely!

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 02:07:05 pm
Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the forum.

I totally understand mod-fever, done much of that myself.  Modding can be worthwhile and fun but be VERY skeptical of ANY claims by sellers of the benefits of their products.  Claims of increases in horsepower, torque, ED relief, and other improvements can easily be slanted to put the products in the best light.   

The popular air filter and exhaust mods have their good points and many members here have made these changes for one reason or another but the real life improvements are usually subtle.

Personally, the mods that have made the most noticeable "improvement" for my bike have been simple.  Better tires and a more comfortable seat. 

You'll be getting a ton of opinions thrown at you about "must haves" but really the bone stock bike is awfully good, particularly considering the price.

Have fun. 8)

Thank you! I agree, it’s tons of fun without any mods. I just happened on these for an incredible deal, so let’s see if they make a difference!

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 02:08:04 pm
Ironhart,

Our site sponsor, Hitchcock’s, has the header gaskets in stock. You can look under the parts book to find them. Pretty reasonable shipping over all, though I’m not sure what it’ll cost for such a small order.

Thanks!

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 02:19:09 pm
I'd be interested in who at Revelry told you that. I and a fellow 650GT rider were told the opposite. My mate went ahead and fitted their brushed stainless headers to S&S mufflers, he already had a free flowing air filter fitted. No tuning required and it runs perfectly. It continues to run perfectly.

Edit ... the people running Revelry are easy to deal with and reliable, when I had a question they couldn't answer on the spot THEY called me the next day with the answer.

Thank you for your insight here. That is so odd! The person with whom I spoke was quite knowledgeable (it seemed to me at least — qualifier: I am new to mods and engines so I am still learning). She seemed to be the person who is in the Revelry videos (she had an American accent). She was clear that the engine would be running too lean and and this could damage it.

Hmm ...

ElJefeSpeaks

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:38:03 pm
I will tag onto this post...

I have the S&S mufflers coming in the mail. Do I 100% definitely need to replace those gaskets? Or is this just for those people that want things done exactly right? Could I squeak by without fitting new ones?

I will check to see if my dealer has them when I pick up the pipes. Fingers crossed.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 02:44:51 pm
The OP was talking about header gaskets for replacing the headers. I believe the gasket where the muffler meets the header is reusable since it is not a crush gasket but I could be wrong.

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 03:37:39 pm
I will tag onto this post...

I have the S&S mufflers coming in the mail. Do I 100% definitely need to replace those gaskets? Or is this just for those people that want things done exactly right? Could I squeak by without fitting new ones?

I will check to see if my dealer has them when I pick up the pipes. Fingers crossed.

From my understanding, the copper gaskets conform to the particular pipe and its position, so I gather better to change them. One person I saw on youtube suggested sanding the old ones on a flat surface. Not worth it in my view, they don’t cost much, just a matter of waiting to get them.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 06:21:29 pm
The OP was talking about header gaskets for replacing the headers. I believe the gasket where the muffler meets the header is reusable since it is not a crush gasket but I could be wrong.

The carbon paper infused rings at the header muffler joint are FRAGILE and not reusable.

If they stay in the stock mufflers when removed you can reuse them when re-installing the stock mufflers. Try to remove them and they crumble.

To install S&S mufflers you will need two of these rings.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 08:55:23 pm
The carbon paper infused rings at the header muffler joint are FRAGILE and not reusable.

If they stay in the stock mufflers when removed you can reuse them when re-installing the stock mufflers. Try to remove them and they crumble.

Okay. I remember using two of them when I put on aftermarket mufflers. I couldn’t remember if they were stock or not it’s been so long.

Ironhart

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 04:42:17 pm

Thanks so much! I just ordered the copper gaskets, wish I had know about these, would have asked the person to send these as well.

Where did you buy these?

Thanks again,

Ironhart