Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today?  (Read 290521 times)

TSTM

• Bulleteer
Reply #2535 on: March 28, 2024, 09:12:20 am
Quote from: Re-Cycle
Now when I turn the wheel the brake rubs. This is not because of thicker pads, I checked and the new and old pads are of similar thickness. I did spread the pads after I mounted them, so pushed the pistons back a little.

Is this something that will sort itself after a few km's or should I have a closer look first? (and remove the wheel again).
Ofcourse I will keep a eye on it in the beginning.

It's OK for the brakes to rub a little.
It's not a bicycle, these brakes always have a little drag.
The floating caliper and the floating disc have to center themself, take it for a ride and bed in the brakes.

Quote from: Scott Hillson @ mechanics.stackexchange.com
This isn't unusual. I'd go as far as to say I'd be suspicious if I had a shop replace the front brake pads on my motorcycle and didn't hear them skimming the rotor a little. It's normal for the pads to touch the disc a little, and it's especially audible at low speed and after a fresh install.

Now, that said, if the pads are indeed rubbing enough to slow you down or become hot when you're not using them, you should be concerned and seek to rectify the problem.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:15:26 am by TSTM »
'22 Continental GT 650

previous bikes
Yamaha XS650
Honda Shadow VLC
Moto Guzzi California 1100
Maico 490 dirtbike

Re-Cycle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2536 on: March 28, 2024, 11:19:08 am
I think the rubbing is more than is acceptable at the moment. What I don't understand is why, because the pads are not thicker compared to the old ones. I compared them before putting in the new ones, there was no significant wear.
If you push the pads/pistons back in like I did, the pistons should adjust themselves after you pull the lever a couple of times.

But when it stops raining overhere (will it ever...  ::)) I'll go for a short test ride and do some braking and see if it gets better. Maybe this weekend...
Previously owned bikes: '78 Yamaha DT175 - '78 Suzuki GS400 - '77 Yamaha XT500 - '76 Kawasaki Z750 twin - '80 Yamaha XT500 - '80 Kawasaki Z500 - '86 Yamaha SRX-6 - '74 Yamaha RD200 - '79 Yamaha DT175 - '91 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 - '95 Yamaha FJ1200 - '96 Yamaha TDM850
and ridden many more... :)

btordxc

• Scooter
Reply #2537 on: March 29, 2024, 08:47:12 pm
Removed the plastic chain guard from my GT650 and added the Enfield Precision chain guard from Hitchcocks. It looks great particular as I have the 2 into 1 Stinger exhaust which made the left side of the motorbike a little bare. What a pig of a job getting the 3rd screw attached. If you’ve done this job, you’ll know what I mean. Ideally, you need the hands of a small child. My knuckles should recover  eventually.

Re-Cycle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2538 on: April 02, 2024, 08:49:46 am
I think the rubbing is more than is acceptable at the moment. What I don't understand is why, because the pads are not thicker compared to the old ones. I compared them before putting in the new ones, there was no significant wear.
If you push the pads/pistons back in like I did, the pistons should adjust themselves after you pull the lever a couple of times.

But when it stops raining overhere (will it ever...  ::)) I'll go for a short test ride and do some braking and see if it gets better. Maybe this weekend...
I did a short ride to see if the brake rubbing would become less. The brake works good, with the EBC pads. Too soon to say if they are really better than the OEM ones.
But the rubbing is still there, I think a bit more than it should be. When I let the bike roll to a stop it doesn't stop suddenly, so that is good. But the disc was warm when I got home. It's 100% flat where I live so you don't have to brake much, the disc gets plenty of time to cool down after use.

Will have a look at the floating mechanism when I have the time...
Previously owned bikes: '78 Yamaha DT175 - '78 Suzuki GS400 - '77 Yamaha XT500 - '76 Kawasaki Z750 twin - '80 Yamaha XT500 - '80 Kawasaki Z500 - '86 Yamaha SRX-6 - '74 Yamaha RD200 - '79 Yamaha DT175 - '91 Kawasaki Zephyr 750 - '95 Yamaha FJ1200 - '96 Yamaha TDM850

Hansson96

• Scooter
Reply #2539 on: April 03, 2024, 09:36:43 pm
Went for the first ride of this year last Saturday. Nice and sunny and dry roads. Sadly we got a good bit of snow two days later. I had a good spin anyway!

I met a coworker who is in his 60's. He was blown away when I told him it was a brand new bike. "I thought it was something you had restored!" He said  ;D

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #2540 on: April 03, 2024, 09:37:02 pm
I did a short ride to see if the brake rubbing would become less. The brake works good, with the EBC pads. Too soon to say if they are really better than the OEM ones.
But the rubbing is still there, I think a bit more than it should be. When I let the bike roll to a stop it doesn't stop suddenly, so that is good. But the disc was warm when I got home. It's 100% flat where I live so you don't have to brake much, the disc gets plenty of time to cool down after use.

I think mine is the same as you describe. Moving the bike by hand is supple and does feel easy and "loose" btw

BlackdogADV

• Aging adventure rider
  • Scooter
Reply #2541 on: April 04, 2024, 04:39:20 am
I just installed a Cyclops LED bulb.
I probably shouldn’t be doing this

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #2542 on: April 04, 2024, 09:45:35 pm

Had to adjust steering head play so took the chance for a small movie but it is too large to post here im afraid 🤔 i can see if i can arrange something else to host it. Is it something that helps?

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #2543 on: April 04, 2024, 10:04:01 pm
Had to adjust steering head play so took the chance for a small movie but it is too large to post here im afraid 🤔 i can see if i can arrange something else to host it. Is it something that helps?

Could put it up on YT? Pretty easy to do.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2544 on: April 07, 2024, 01:31:21 pm
New front brake pads 27,000 miles....third set.   EBC Double H

BC

Re-Cycle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2545 on: April 07, 2024, 04:49:02 pm
I think mine is the same as you describe. Moving the bike by hand is supple and does feel easy and "loose" btw
Today I went for another ride. The front brake definitely is better when you brake hard with the EBC pads.
When I got home I raised the front wheel and gave it a swing, seems a bit better now. Pads still rub but the wheel spins (a bit) longer than before the ride (70km).

Ted_Flash

• Scooter
Reply #2546 on: April 10, 2024, 02:29:26 pm
I just de-customised the indicators and rear light.  Previous owner had fitted the Tec LED unit and some long thin LED indicators.  LEDs may be useful to reduce current draw when running a Joe Lucas dynamo, but all they do on a modern bike is push more undesigned current through the RR unit.  A couple of weeks ago I led a run to Darley Moor racing circuit, and the lads following complained they couldn't see the indicators and brake light resulting in a near miss.  I looked at a friend's new Yamaha Tracer indicators and they were pretty poor also.

As I didn't get the original kit with the bike, I had to buy replacements - an original RE light unit for £17 and a set of 4 ebay indicators for under £7.  I bought a flasher relay as I thought I'd need one to suit incandescent bulbs, but wasted the money as the old LED indicators had electronic units on them that worked with the original flasher relay.  I think all the lights are brighter in the daylight, and are visible from more angles than just straight on.  Also the big rear lamp is more "Lucas shaped" and in keeping with the retro look I wanted in the first place.

Quest

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2547 on: April 10, 2024, 08:59:03 pm
I just de-customised the indicators and rear light.  Previous owner had fitted the Tec LED unit and some long thin LED indicators.  LEDs may be useful to reduce current draw when running a Joe Lucas dynamo, but all they do on a modern bike is push more undesigned current through the RR unit.  A couple of weeks ago I led a run to Darley Moor racing circuit, and the lads following complained they couldn't see the indicators and brake light resulting in a near miss.  I looked at a friend's new Yamaha Tracer indicators and they were pretty poor also.

As I didn't get the original kit with the bike, I had to buy replacements - an original RE light unit for £17 and a set of 4 ebay indicators for under £7.  I bought a flasher relay as I thought I'd need one to suit incandescent bulbs, but wasted the money as the old LED indicators had electronic units on them that worked with the original flasher relay.  I think all the lights are brighter in the daylight, and are visible from more angles than just straight on.  Also the big rear lamp is more "Lucas shaped" and in keeping with the retro look I wanted in the first place.
Likely, those indicator units don't have reflectors in the body shell, like the good old days. A lot of folks put some mylar film or at least aluminum foil on the back interior. Makes a difference.

BlackdogADV

• Aging adventure rider
  • Scooter
Reply #2548 on: April 11, 2024, 03:16:49 am
Just installed a TKC 70 front to match the rear TKC70 Rocks.
I probably shouldn’t be doing this

55CM1

• Bulleteer
  • Barcelona
Reply #2549 on: April 11, 2024, 07:33:50 pm
I just installed new grips and switches, I really like them, greetings
BMW 100 rs - K75 Metropolitan - Honda Pan European 1100 - Yamaha 250 sr - Scooters Vespa 150 - Vespa 200 - Aprilia Leonardo 150 -Honda @ 150 -  Yamaha T Max 500 -