Author Topic: Tubed tyres.  (Read 9128 times)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 07:25:36 pm
Where I do most of my riding, in the mountains in Idaho, there are 100-mile stretches without even a gas station or a building, no cell service, and very scant traffic.  Roadside assistance is absolutely useless if you can't call them, and even if you could, it would take half a day for them to get there.  Question to you spoke-lovers ... how do you get the front wheel off without laying the bike on its side?  And if you're a GT rider, the same for the rear?  The only option with my Interceptor to avoid that is to carry a 20lb scissor jack.  And of course another 10lbs of tire irons.  With my alloy wheels all I need is a 20oz plug kit and a packet of CO2 cartridges.

That said, I have only had one flat on a motorcycle in 50 years.  It was on the front at 70mph on the freeway.  (You don't want to experience that without a change of underwear).

I may never have another, but one is enough, and at 72 I have no intention of wrestling around getting a wheel off, changing the tube, getting the wheel back on, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:29:35 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Blazingatom

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 07:31:15 pm
Hagon do make tubeless spoked wheels
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pdf/wheels2011.pdf

Off the top of my head your looking at about £400 per wheel for tubeless which seems a lot for little benefit
Military Aircraft Engineer rotarywing and fast jet
Current bike: Conti GT 650
Previous bikes: Aprilia RS50, Cagiva Mito Evo, zx7r, TL1000r featured in PB, zx6r, Fireblade

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 01:17:55 am

It never fails, I got 1 or 2 punctures a year.  Because of this, I carry and plug kit and a compressor in all my cars.  Its way easier to plug a tire than to use a spare.

I hate to ask this (as Le Google is at my fingertips) but I sincerely don't know which tube to buy as spare.  And...um...plug kit. Can you...or anyone, post a link to these goodies? (I wouldn't ask if I felt adept in knowing which and how myself.
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 01:38:50 am
I hate to ask this (as Le Google is at my fingertips) but I sincerely don't know which tube to buy as spare.  And...um...plug kit. Can you...or anyone, post a link to these goodies? (I wouldn't ask if I felt adept in knowing which and how myself.

Straight from Revzilla:

“You will need a 3.25 x 18" for the front and a 5.00 x 18" for the rear.” Lots of options at Cycle Gear. Double Tough tubes at https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/double-tough-inner-tubes
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 01:47:03 am

A plug kit won't do any good with tubed tires, but you could keep one in your car for it.

Plug kits are available everywhere, even at Walmart. Google "How to plug a tire" and I would think a ton of how to videos would come up.

The kit I carry is from Amazon, in a zippered case.  Very similar to this kit, but it didn't come with gloves.

https://smile.amazon.com/Automotive-Tire-Puncture-Repair-Tool/dp/B07PQLRSZ4

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 02:53:32 am
A plug kit won't do any good with tubed tires, but you could keep one in your car for it.

Plug kits are available everywhere, even at Walmart. Google "How to plug a tire" and I would think a ton of how to videos would come up.

The kit I carry is from Amazon, in a zippered case.  Very similar to this kit, but it didn't come with gloves.

https://smile.amazon.com/Automotive-Tire-Puncture-Repair-Tool/dp/B07PQLRSZ4
What about that tube slime sealant that’s available? Is it viable or not?
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 02:58:32 am

This stuff says it is 60% effective in tubes. Skeptical but it might work. Anyone try? https://www.ride-onshop.com/

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 03:15:27 am

You mean for tubes?  I doubt it.  I say this based on past experiences a friend had with car tires when he worked at a tire shop.  He said they stuff made a mess and never worked 100%.  Said it usually slowed the leak down a bit but it was never worth it.  He also stated to never use it if you have TPMS sensors.

Now here's something that might work... it's used in MTB tires and based on what I've seen in Youtube videos it sure seems to work.

It's Stan's No Tube sealant... It's really popular with the MTB crowd... Sorry I don't have the nutz to test it on a motorcycle tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB48cOHREo

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 03:42:24 am
In reference to a couple of other threads I am intrigued by the antipathy towards tubed tyres. In particular punctures. I may have a tyre fairy watching over me or something, but in over 40 years of motorcycle riding, largely on tubes, I’ve never had a puncture or flat tyre. I hope I haven’t put some Gypsy curse on myself for uttering that out aloud.
I’m a spoke fan , love the look. And I think I’d prefer an emergency deflation on a tube over a tubeless personally.

You were just lucky.

I have had two flats on my B5 in 10,000 KM .  Fortunately both on the rear wheel at town speeds.

The President of RECOA the Aussie Enfield owners club had a tubed tire suddenly deflate on his Carberry Enfield at highway speed and was hospitalised for months.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 04:02:38 am
Tire sealants work. Just not all of them.
There are two basic types adhesive and fiber pack. The adhesives are iffy at best.
As for the tire changer crowd that bad mouths sealants ... if they aren't willing to follow you around as you ride ... how much does their votecount.  and if you feel guilty, tip them and extra 10
--- I choose FlatOut (once know as FlatProof)
 " Prevents Flats & Seals Leaks — Serious puncture protection up to 1/2 inch!
Trusted by military, heavy construction, agriculture, delivery fleets and other demanding industrial users for over 35 years… Flat-out Tire Additive by MULTI SEAL brings that same extreme performance to you!
Install now for 24/7 protection: Seals puncture after puncture for 10+ years.
Prevents up to 95% of flats and virtually eliminates slow leaks — Save Money, Save Time, and Stay Safe.
Unique formula with super-strong KEVLAR fibers is non-toxic … plus NO latex/adhesives, so it never becomes a sticky mess. Easy water cleanup."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6BHNDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 04:08:01 am
There are two basic types adhesive and fiber pack. The adhesives are iffy at best.
As for the tire changer crowd that bad mouths sealants ... if they aren't willing to follow you around as you ride ... how much does their votecount.  and if you feel guilty, tip them and extra 10
Trusted by military, heavy construction, agriculture, delivery fleets and other demanding industrial users for over 35 years… Flat-out Tire Additive by MULTI SEAL brings that same extreme performance to you!
Prevents up to 95% of flats and virtually eliminates slow leaks — Save Money, Save Time, and Stay Safe.
Unique formula with super-strong KEVLAR fibers is non-toxic … plus NO latex/adhesives, so it never becomes a sticky mess. Easy water cleanup."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6BHNDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That sounds promising👍

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 04:17:52 am
Straight from Revzilla:

“You will need a 3.25 x 18" for the front and a 5.00 x 18" for the rear.” Lots of options at Cycle Gear. Double Tough tubes at https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/double-tough-inner-tubes

Thanks to you and crabjoe. Much appreciated. (glass=raised)
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 04:21:22 am
You were just lucky.

I have had two flats on my B5 in 10,000 KM .  Fortunately both on the rear wheel at town speeds.

The President of RECOA the Aussie Enfield owners club had a tubed tire suddenly deflate on his Carberry Enfield at highway speed and was hospitalised for months.
That’s a horror story for sure. Front wheel I’m guessing? One of my latent fears whenever going quick. As someone who’s unspooled a chain out ( thank the gods!)the back of my bike mid-wet corner at pace ( a rarity I’ve been assured) I’ve an active paranoia of these types of events. Really detracts from the pleasure. Also got home from a 180 kmh jaunt 2 up with the missus once on my old Ducati to discover The rear frame loop ( on which the entire seat and rear assemblies were hung) was snapped clean off and all that was keeping our arses off the rear wheel was the strength of the shaped steel mudguard. That gave me the cold sweats.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 02:28:05 pm

Amazon seller says that one is for low-speed applications - you've successfully used on your bikes and had no issues? Definitely does look promising.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 04:17:21 pm
Amazon seller says that one is for low-speed applications - you've successfully used on your bikes and had no issues? Definitely does look promising.

It'd be great if it worked -- but the label specifies dirt bikes, and doesn't mention road bikes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y6BHNDK/