Author Topic: Alloy rims  (Read 2728 times)

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
on: September 23, 2020, 01:57:53 pm
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:36:43 pm
I don't know if they've been posted here before, but I've seen the wheels in the 1st link, but not the 2nd link.

Not understanding Hindi, but based on the video, I'm not sure if the wheels in the 2nd link are for the Twins.

There is another set of wheels that work on the Twins, the design is like a fan blades, at least that's how they look to me..

So far, I'm not liking any of the Indian designed wheels..  I'm also unsure of the design of these wheels because they're from companies I've
never heard of..
Oh.. the wheels in the 1st link, because the alloy spokes or whatever they're called on alloy wheels, actually are raised into the rim, I wonder how
one might put weights on them for balancing and have them stay on...

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 02:57:09 pm

Oh.. the wheels in the 1st link, because the alloy spokes or whatever they're called on alloy wheels, actually are raised into the rim, I wonder how
one might put weights on them for balancing and have them stay on...

I use stick on weights on the rim. Lately though I use 'ride on' in the tires to balance. those wheels um clash against the retro look imho. I would consider custom tubeless spoked wheels if I had to have tubeless but there is the cost factor.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:10:25 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

Blazingatom

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:20:48 pm
Same as you ceejay, I never liked the alloy wheels on the street twin, I would just like tubeless spoked wheels and tbh a 17 inch front
Military Aircraft Engineer rotarywing and fast jet
Current bike: Conti GT 650
Previous bikes: Aprilia RS50, Cagiva Mito Evo, zx7r, TL1000r featured in PB, zx6r, Fireblade

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:54:32 pm
After (quickly) watching the videos, I can only say...

Eww.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:24:17 pm
I will buy the first set that looks like this....

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:42 pm
I will buy the first set that looks like this....

Are those 41mm fork tubes?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 06:38:45 pm
No way in hell would I buy an aftermark wheel. There are a few videos of failures on YouTube. For the most part they look hideous away. The OEM wheel that's more conservative in appearance looks inverted. I'd just powder coat the entire wheel black or make the silver part black and the center silver.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 07:04:45 pm
Are those 41mm fork tubes?

no idea.  Whats on an RD400?

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 10:09:34 pm
no idea.  Whats on an RD400?
Wouldn’t be 41 that’s for sure
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 11:30:21 pm
Videos of "available" wheels are utterly worthless without a link to where to buy the damned things.
Without such a link, they are NOT available!
Before buying my Interceptor I spent 6 months searching for around two hours every day.  I will not own any road bike that doesn't have alloy wheels for tubeless tires!!
I found quite a few videos such as those posted, but could not find anywhere to BUY them to save my soul.

Finally someone on here told me to contact Ryan Cost at SynergyMotorworks.
Ryan hooked me up with the only wheels he knew of that were available and that he had mounted on quite a few 650 twins with no problems.
I did not like the design/look of those wheels.  They came only in black.  Ryan's business can do powder coating.  I thought they would look much better powder coated in Super Chrome, so I spent another $700.00 for him to do that.  I don't turn back-flips with the new look, but they definitely look better and I can live with them ... especially when the only alternative is crawling around in the dirt for two hours to swap out a tube and constantly packing around 20lbs of tools and crap to do it ... or paying three times as much for a Triumph.
I doubt if RE will ever offer tubeless alloy wheels for the Interceptor.  My take on that is ... stupidity.
I got the wheels ... then ordered my Interceptor.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/drye7pgx9c0ypnn/RE%20TUBELESS%20WHEELS%20INFO.docx?dl=0
And got a set of Avon Roadrider tires to replace the OE fake "Pirelli" tires.
I will not have them installed until this Covid thing lets up, but here is a mock-up of what they will look like.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:53:28 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 11:38:59 pm
Videos of "available" wheels are utterly worthless without a link to where to buy the damned things.
Without such a link, they are NOT available!
Before buying my Interceptor I spent 6 months searching for around two hours every day.  I will not own any road bike that doesn't have alloy wheels for tubeless tires!!

....except your 650?   

with the amount of cool after market rims for every other Royal Enfield on Ebay it's just a matter of time before we see them for the 650's.  I'm in no rush to change up but I worry about a flat when I'm 100 miles from home.  There is no way RE roadside is taking care of that.  If it weren't for covid I bet we'd see them soon.

crabjoe

• Grease Monkey
  • Ceciltucky, MD USA - 2021 GT650
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 03:12:37 am
As much as I want alloy wheels to go tubeless, I can't do either of the wheels currently available for the Twins..

One looks like fan blades from a jet engine and the other looks like futuristic wagon wheels.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 03:28:14 am
As much as I want alloy wheels to go tubeless, I can't do either of the wheels currently available for the Twins..
One looks like fan blades from a jet engine and the other looks like futuristic wagon wheels.

Mine are the fan blades from a jet engine.  Oh well.  Life's a bitch, sometimes we have to make tough decisions.  Fan blades ... or crawl around in the dirt for two hours and constantly pack around 20lbs of tire tools ... or buy a Triumph at three times the cost. 
I guess you like crawling around in the dirt?  :P
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

edshreds

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 01:22:49 pm
As soon as I saw the thread title I was wondering how long it would be until Jimku turned up...