Author Topic: Eureka E I / constant kickback. Related?  (Read 1589 times)

Williamsburg

• Scooter
on: March 26, 2020, 10:01:41 am
hello all. 76 Bullet 350, previous owner install Eureka, me, constant kickback. I've just replaced inner workings of primary case, ergo unwilling to open up again to find tdc. Need to find correct settings for Eureka and relatively cost free method of finding tdc in a language a non mechanic can understand ( eg; I don't understand 32 degrees of tdc ). If anyone understands this post and can help. It would be greatly appreciated.
Will

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:35:06 pm
Welcome aboard. Did the Eureka electronic ignition work properly when you first bought the motorcycle? Electronic ignitions need a really good battery. A weak or old battery will usually cause them, especially a very cheap one like the Eureka, to run too far "advanced", which will cause kickbacks and poor running if you do get it started at all. Do you have or can you borrow or purchase an electrical multi-meter to check the battery's voltage? Multi-meters are useful and not expensive. If the battery voltage at its terminals with ignition off is below 12.5 volts after the bike has not run for several hours or more, then you may need to charge or perhaps replace the battery. Determining your battery's condition and correcting or replacing it, if necessary, should be your first step in diagnosing and solving your Bullet's problem.

I will wait until you report a voltage reading for the battery before commenting further.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:52:33 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 01:50:20 pm
I wrote quick reply but it's lost. Anyway thanks another approach to tackle. I did get new battery using old as reference, 12 volts 6ah, too weak maybe, regarding when I got bike it function very very briefly

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 09:39:10 am
like to add that getting tools not so easy in this period of lockdown, as well as I've been prohibited from trading for over a month , so strapped for cash, creating a period of invention and make do, although a multimeter is beyond me. if you have any tips on removing the auto advance mechanism  ( I've tried the mallet trick), would be greatly appreciated  thanks

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 01:15:07 pm
You ask about finding TDC. Just bring piston up when on compression stroke until it's as high as it will go before going back down.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 01:30:51 pm
Thanks, It was more of a case of not wanting to go down the road of getting the perfect reading, I've decided a method using car fuel pipe that fits nice and tight inside the spark plug. Hole, with an Allen key inside the pipe, having said that, any tips on knowing the difference between compression stroke and the other. Any help greatly appreciated.
Will

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:05:57 pm
Thanks, It was more of a case of not wanting to go down the road of getting the perfect reading, I've decided a method using car fuel pipe that fits nice and tight inside the spark plug. Hole, with an Allen key inside the pipe, having said that, any tips on knowing the difference between compression stroke and the other. Any help greatly appreciated.
Will

You, or a helper, holds a thumb over the spark plug hole. When the pressure is trying to blow your thumb out, THAT's the compression stroke.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 02:08:29 pm
 Great, thanks alot.

Williamsburg

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 07:35:59 am
just like to say thankyou, for all the advice received, it was greatly appreciated,  I discovered that the tappets had become over tight, something I looked at when I considered how the kick start had become stiffer. Again, thanks alot,  and take care

xenialouna

• Neophyte
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 11:36:23 am
So, If you’re relatively new to engine work and have ever pulled, or need to pull, the distributor or damper from your engine; finding Top Dead Center (TDC) on piston #1 becomes an instant priority. Finding Top Dead Center (TDC) is an essential skill for assembling and tuning engines; and is even a necessity for performing some engine diagnostic tests, such as a cylinder leak down test.