Author Topic: Back on the bench  (Read 1998 times)

Dennisgb

• Scooter
on: January 17, 2019, 09:47:54 pm
Finally got back to the Bullet. Lots of projects going on so it went to the back burner.

This is the engine I rebuilt and put the wrong crankcase gasket in.

The head is really stuck because I put a bit of Yamabond on the gasket.

I got it off after this picture using some wood door shims on each side.

I've got a few more new parts for it since I did the build last fall. New worm gear shaft and drive gear. The old ones weren't bad, just thought I would be safe with the oil system. It has the high output pumps in there.

IMG_0234 by dennisgb, on Flickr
Brakes are Good, Tires are Bare

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:48:46 pm
Did you get the head off?

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:24:13 am
Yes I used some wood door shims. The kind that are angle cut so I could tap them with a rubber mallet and get straight force on the head. It just took a bit to get the bond to break loose then it came straight off.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:24:50 pm
Ever try " Roping the cylinder" to remove a stuck head? Its easier on the fins than the wedges.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Dennisgb

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:24 pm
Ever try " Roping the cylinder" to remove a stuck head? Its easier on the fins than the wedges.

Yes but I already had the primary torn apart so no way to turn it over. I was very careful to not put much pressure on the fins...it came off pretty easy. Just needed to break the bond.