Author Topic: GT535 Backrest for pillion  (Read 647 times)

m.seeby

• Neophyte
on: January 26, 2024, 12:07:55 pm
Hi there, I am having difficulty finding a backrest / rack for my 535. I only want one so that i can get my son out on the bike with me as I do not drive and I use this bike as a daily since it was new currently at 12,500 miles.

I find lots of backrests available for the 650 but most places including hitchcocks do not have them in stock. Does anyone know if the mounts on the top frame rail are the same as the 650? I don't have access to a 650 measure them for myself and any listings that I find online do not include any measurements for the mounts / width of the frame.

Any help for this would be appreciated. I know it will look awful on the bike but my son is only 5 and is desperate to go out with me on it and I wont take him without a backrest.
2017 GT535 used as a daily . . .why did I think this is a good idea?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 09:47:08 pm
I'm pretty sure the bolt spacing is the same, but why not hit the local RE dealer with a measuring stick and make sure?

Also, is it a good idea to take a 5 yo on a motorbike? In Australia it's not even legal to pillion someone under 8 on the road (nothing to stop a kid under 8 riding solo off road though... ). I believe in the UK it's a common sense judgement. But you do you.

Welcome aboard  8)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 09:00:40 am
As far as I'm aware, pillions in the UK have to be able to have their feet on the footrests (this would normally means they'd be at least 10 years old.....)

Having ridden bikes for over 55 years, there's no way I'd take a 5 year old on the back of a motorbike on the roads

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 02:05:52 pm
As far as I'm aware, pillions in the UK have to be able to have their feet on the footrests (this would normally means they'd be at least 10 years old.....)

Having ridden bikes for over 55 years, there's no way I'd take a 5 year old on the back of a motorbike on the roads

Is that why many Japanese sport bikes have passenger footrests located only 6" from the passenger seat? So that you can carry your 5-year old child on the back and give him or her the thrill of their lives as you split lanes at 80 mph on your wannabe racer?   :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

m.seeby

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 09:39:37 pm
Thanks for everyone getting back to me, I will have to go to the dealer and check.

In regards to taking my son on the bike, I have had footpeg extensions made so he can reach them and it is only for the 2 mile school run as being a single parent I have to take him to and from school but this makes me 30 mins late for work each day and I have to finish early meaning I lose an hours pay each day.

I have been riding over 12 years now and in the UK there is no age limit for getting on a bike as a pillion. I wouldn't dream of going on roads that are over a 40 limit with him and he has been on the back on private property hence why i know he needs a backrest.

I know taking him on the bike will divide opinions but he wants to and I need him to because I do not have a car licence.
2017 GT535 used as a daily . . .why did I think this is a good idea?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 09:44:25 pm
Fair enough. Good luck at the dealer check. I'd be surprised if the 650 frame is different. All the best mate!

Single parenting is not easy. Good for you.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E