Author Topic: Regulator - Rectifier  (Read 628 times)

BruLan

• Scooter
on: March 06, 2024, 01:33:33 pm
Hi to all
I have a Sixty 5 Bullet, which has separate Rectifier and Regulator.
I intend to change the Regulator ( I dont trust it its already killed one Battery)
Can the two units be replaced by one combined Regulator / Rectifier ?
Any links to suitable parts wholly appreciated
Also what Voltage would you expect to see going into charge the Battery ?
Thanks and best wishes
On the upward path of a learning curve

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 02:34:05 pm
Yes, any good combined unit (single phase, two yellow wires, one red, one black) from a reputable supplier will do. Bearing in mind that a half or possibly two-thirds of the Sixty-5's alternator output goes straight to the AC headlights, it's a bit disappointing that the original regulator and rectifier couldn't cope with what's left, but they must be getting on for twenty years old. For the output, the figure of 13.5V has popped into my head from somewhere, others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Some reg/rectifiers come with a built-in capacitor if you want to run battery-less, e.g. the Boyer Power Box, though it's probably cheaper to have a normal reg/rectifier and wire a capacitor in separately it that's what you wanted to do.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 03:33:19 pm
Also what Voltage would you expect to see going into charge the Battery ?
I would call any value between 13.9 and 14.5V as acceptable for a simple regulator, with the engine at cruising revs.  ~2500+ rpms.  14.2V would be most satisfactory, in my opinion.

Voltage will drop at idle, and if there is more power going to lighting and auxiliary loads.

It would be nice if regs. had a trim pot, so we could adjust the value, since different machines, different loads, and different riding conditions might prefer different charging voltages.  Of course people would crank theirs to the max. cook their batteries, and complain about it.

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 04:19:34 pm
I posted this in another thread recently, seems relevant:

On the subject of charging systems. i just fitted this reg/rec unit to my little Soviet 125. This one is off a Yamaha R1, picked it up for £25 off ebay. These are one of the best ones out there just now, they all look the same, some have one grey and one black socket. They use them on a lot of different bikes and also quads and skidoos, worth a mooch about on ebay to see if you can pick up a bargain (I'd suggest searching for used reg/recs, arranged by cheapest first and scroll down until you see one that looks like that). Beware Chinese copies, go for a used OEM one.

You can also buy a set of the correct (Chinese copy) connector blocks to hook them in for about a tenner on Amazon. I've just got it temporarily rigged up at the moment but I'll fit the connectors once it's all up and running. It's designed to take three phases but they run quite happily on two.

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 04:21:01 pm
I gave my indian reg-rec units a well earned retirement and changed for a single phase Lucas unit - which was only 38£ 3 years ago.

(See picture for exact reference).

I fixed it on a bracket, bolted to the frame, in the open air. Along with a Bosch coil and well set points, the Bullet always start first kick and the Battery is properly charging whatever the speed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:23:46 pm by Pierric »
When you have to shoot... shoot ! Don't Talk.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 04:29:34 pm
Pierric - did you ever stick a voltmeter on it? Do you remember the peak voltage? My OEM units parked at 16V, the Boyer parked at 14.2V - 14.5V max. The Lucas is interesting to me for the small size & finning, similar to an old zener. It'd even look good under the headlight! The Boyer is just a plain box.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Pierric

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 04:38:03 pm
Yes, I did. It was almost 3 years ago, but if my memory serves me well, it was under the indian units max value (around 16V as well for me) and something like 14,9 V.

Do you want me to check it again ?
When you have to shoot... shoot ! Don't Talk.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 07:56:33 pm
That must be a first - someone happy with Lucas electrics  ;D
Paul W.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 07:57:13 pm
Thanks - you recall under 15V, our readings are taken on different instruments, probably close enough! We both found the OEM units +16V, so the Lucas unit looks reasonable to me.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Super45

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 10:31:29 am
Rex's speed shop does reg/recs to suit out bullets, about £45 for either wire in ones or plug and play ones, no issues with the ones I fitted to my old bike at all.

BruLan

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 11:07:23 am
Are they in the UK ?
If so do you have a link please, not coming up on my searches
TIA

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 12:29:57 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

BruLan

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 12:59:42 pm

French MK

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 11:06:19 pm
I just fitted the "power box" from Hitchcocks on my 92 500 bullet trials. Replaces both types.