Author Topic: INFO WANTED- 1960's UNIT construction 350 NEW Bullet  (Read 412 times)

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Greetings,
Reaching out to the community in hopes of learning as much as I can regarding RE's (very) short lived unit construction 350 NEW Bullet.
What I know so far is, the NEW Bullet is basically a 250 Crusader based motor, at least stroked to achieve 350cc.
They were produced in small quantities for home market and even smaller (?) quantities for the US market.
The two versions differ and were (apparently) assembled form odds and ends borrowed from other existing models.
Example- I was told by reliable sources that the front end was from a Turbo Twin, but is not an exact match either, as the front mudguard is from the Continental GT (?)
I would enjoy hearing from anyone with hands on experience with one of these; especially one of the US export models.
TIA

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 05:19:03 pm
Can't share from personal experience, but I was informed these bikes have a built-up crankshaft more like the old Bullet rather than the Crusader range's one piece crank, although the one piece alloy con-rod is shorter than on the Bullet. My source of info used one of the con-rods in a 350 Bullet racer.

They are quite rare. I would expect the USA version to have larger diameter wheels than the UK model, based on some of the 250s which were exported. Redditch was quite fond of 17" rims for smaller UK market bikes by this time.

The Turbo Twin in the UK had an alloy top yoke almost identical to the later Series1A Interceptor.

Hopefully someone with a bit more hands-on knowledge will be along soon!  ;)

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 06:40:36 pm
Adrian II,
Thanks for the info. You are correct on the wheel size and the top yoke.
The machine I have access to has 18" wheels and a top yoke  being a dead ringer for the MK1A. Only obvious difference being no high beam indicator installed on the 350 Bullet version.
I'm trying to determine what rear mudguard was used with these larger wheels.
I would think a mudguard suitable for 17" might be a bit too close for an 18", where a mudguard suitable for 19" would have ample clearance.
I don't believe they used Interceptor mudguards as those  seem to have  a different profile from what I've seen in the few photos I could find of these bikes.
Perhaps a chat with Hitchcocks could help put some light at the end of the tunnel . They've always been helpful with my other queries.
Still open to anyone willing to share details of these seldom seen machines.

allanfox

• Bulleteer

oilypuddlefield

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 09:34:39 pm
Thanks Allan.
Already saw it.
It does have some nice photos to show the variations.