Author Topic: dragging rear brake  (Read 982 times)

Isla

• Grease Monkey
Shunpike Sister riding a bronze/chrome Classic 350 called Biscuit

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: June 03, 2024, 08:14:06 am
Thanks. So avoid anything marked Bybre.
But does that mean, anything unmarked is genuine? ::)

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 03, 2024, 12:00:13 pm
Ordered complete caliper rebuild from Hitchcock's so will be prepared to pull it apart and see w2hat's amiss.

Isla

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: June 03, 2024, 12:22:38 pm
Okay best of luck 👍
Shunpike Sister riding a bronze/chrome Classic 350 called Biscuit

Thislldo

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2024, 07:03:50 pm
Problem solved :)
Though I have the full caliper rebuild kit from Hitchcock's, I hesitated to rip the caliper of and rebuild it when I was still uncertain that, that is where the problem lay. As GV Motos a well respected Enfield dealer is only half an hour away, I decided to get their view on the problem before going any further.
As soon as I described the symptons, (rear bake binding after braking, sometimes freeing off after a few miles and deffinitely freeing off after a 30 minute stop) He said "sounds like the rear master cylinder problem!"
He explained that is quite common on E4 Himmys and on some early E5, that a small white nylon spacer in the master cylinder swells and causes the caliper to bind. Or something of that sort.
Solution is an improved replacement master cylinder, which to my great relief is less than £40, and they have one in stock.
Fitted it this evening. No hassle bleeding it through, took it for a spin and could not provoke the rear brake to drag. So dfingers crossed. 8)