Author Topic: Fitting single saddle to 1958 Clipper?  (Read 1341 times)

bikenutmart

• Scooter
on: December 05, 2020, 08:25:36 pm
Hi, New member here, just bought a 1958/9 Clipper and it came with a single saddle seat, not fitted, it has the std. dual seat which is past saving, would love to fit the saddle but cannot see how it would fit, does anyone know? its made by wassells and came with a pair of chrome springs, think i will need some different brackets? Any help really appreciated,Martin.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:57:25 pm
It would seem to me, it's using the brackets on the subframe, otherwise used for the seat in the rear and a lug on the frame tube in the front:

bikenutmart

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 11:29:30 am
Thanks for the reply, the rear of the dual seat bolts direct to the rear mudguard and the front of the seat bolts to 2 upright brackets at the front of the subframe, but none of these are in any way useful for attaching the single saddle, i have an original parts book from 58/59 and it shows a single seat as an option. Any help appreciated. Martin.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:10:29 pm
If your frame doesn't have the lug on the backbone tube, then you can't fit the saddle. The subframe would be different as well, with mounting points for the springs. It's possible to do this yourself, if you have some equippment and welding skills.
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 05:11:58 pm
Early versions of the later-style frame had a front mount for the seat just behind the fuel tank, see below.

I think this disappeared by the time your frame would have been made, with the dual seat fitted to mudguard rail/sub frame front and back, rather than directly to the frame.

Both pictures from Hitchcocks' on-line parts books.

As Grumbern suggests, you'd have to make up a replica mounting, and weld it on. You might be able to concoct a bolt-on solution using a banelli clamp, but it would look very clunky, IMHO.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 09:31:11 pm
Another method might be to use the lug below where the head steady is bolted to and use the "ears" on the subframe for the springs. I know there are some aftermarket springs that are mounted from the side and could be used here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-Standard-350cc-500cc-Front-Rider-Solo-Seat-Chrome-Spring/133539462938?hash=item1f17927f1a:g:0PkAAOSw1g9fRiX1

Andreas
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:40:09 pm by grumbern »

bikenutmart

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 05:40:37 pm
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, really useful, yes will try and get some side mounted springs and try and utilise that head steady lug. Really great forum!!!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:04:22 am
These weld-on brackets from Hitchcocks might have some application...?

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/seats-and-saddles/21865

PART No. 200084 ; £27.00
SEAT BRACKET (FOR FRAMES WITHOUT FRONT SEAT FIXING)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

bikenutmart

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:04 am
Unfortunately the front brackets for the dual seat are too far forward, so have decided to weld on a couple of threaded bosses on to the mudguard carrier as per the 58 frame, thought i could use 8mm studding connectors, like a long 8mm nut!! could anyone tell me the position(measurement) of these on that mudguard carrier? Regards Martin.