Author Topic: '94 500 bullet carb tips/reviews  (Read 4348 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 01:42:13 pm
The Amal tuning advice is easy to find on-line.

http://amalcarb.co.uk/downloads/

Amal's wear problems are in the carbs with zinc-alloy slides in zinc-alloy bodies, you can buy brass, chromed brass or hard anodized slides which are much harder wearing. Try a 30mm Mk2 Concentric.

And, i know that (maybe) te greatest blockage is in my head

You have convinced me!  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

winsun-enfield

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: April 06, 2021, 10:38:06 am
A shame that import fees/taxes make a JRC almost twice as expensive, as i would surely like to try one.
Plan is for now, get a Taiwan-made OKO pwk 30mm, but insecure if i buy another pwk that only works on a 2 stroke like my polini (which was 90 euro)..

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #32 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:06 am
You are looking at a total spend of $150 Euro total for things that might work.

A stock Mikcarb is about $100 plus any additional jets, the pre-sorted Amal from H's about $200.

For about $50 Euro more than you are thinking of spending/ have spent for things that might work you can get something that does work. Save up coffee money for a month and get a known good part.

There's nothing stopping you from selling the carb you purchased that didn't work for you. It'll defray the total cost, and you can write it off as a "learning experience".

Just buy the part you need that actually works and go riding. The other option just creates misery, and life is way too short to be miserable.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 03:38:50 am
Having just rebuilt a pair of Monoblocs on my Interceptor, I don't know why there is reluctance to use an Amal. They are absurdly simple carbs. A new one won't suffer the slide/housing wear of the originals which is their biggest flaw as I understand it.
I did have to use some Dowty seals on mine to keep it from leaking but the 'mechanicals' of the Amals are sound, IMO.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

winsun-enfield

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 08:10:30 am
You are looking at a total spend of $150 Euro total for things that might work.

A stock Mikcarb is about $100 plus any additional jets, the pre-sorted Amal from H's about $200.

For about $50 Euro more than you are thinking of spending/ have spent for things that might work you can get something that does work. Save up coffee money for a month and get a known good part.

There's nothing stopping you from selling the carb you purchased that didn't work for you. It'll defray the total cost, and you can write it off as a "learning experience".

Just buy the part you need that actually works and go riding. The other option just creates misery, and life is way too short to be miserable.
Yes selling the other cabrs mighrt raise some money.. but the ruibuild of the bike alreadys costed more then it is worth, and spending 300 euro on a carbb.. well, maybe later.

In meanwhile someone offers to sell me a dellorto phbh which has done service on a bullet 500 for a low price.. I will try it and look further in due time..

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 08:21:20 am
Great. Sell your used carbs that dont work to some simple minded guy on ebay and buy another used carb yourself. That certainly will give you great value for low price.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:06:09 am by viczena »
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Mr.Sheen

• Neophyte
Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 03:14:56 am
It looks like the polini comes with a 45 slow jet and a 114 main . That slow jet may work , but a 35 or 40 may be better, the main should be a 130.also block off the power jet.