Author Topic: thoughts on the 650 interceptor  (Read 7207 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 30, 2019, 12:55:05 am
due to the lack of response I decide to no longer post ride experiences here-like I did with the C5's - as it was a waste of good time so I decided to do you-tube clips instead. today I thought i'd make an exception and throw one out.
I've ridden the 650 longer and further than most of the enfields I've had over the past few years. actually crossed 2200 klm today and the bike is running extremely well and quick.
there is no doubt in my mind that this bike is far better in all areas than an other enfield out there. they do everything well and cruise effortlessly at 60 mph
I have noticed only 3 minor issues to date. slightly vibe in the bars but nothing to a C5-a fuel gauge which you cannot trust. one minute its 3 bars. you pull over get back on the bike and its 1 bar flashing- and bit of trouble at times with neutral from 5th to 6th gear.
but compared to problems I had with C5's these are just minor issues I can live with or by now it would have been gone.
the only thing stopping the riding is the long hot dry weather here. once it cools down a bit I will take it out on far longer runs. ive never once wondered when i'm out on those roads running a video-hope the bike starts. that was always on my mind with a classic.
its not a perfect bike. in fact the triumph street scrambler I had I think was a much better built bike in all areas. but you can't really compare $10K bike against $16K
for the money its a good bike and the only spanner I have hit it with in reality was to adjust the chain.
now I am not knocking the others as I had 15 of them or a shop full. more than any of you guys will ever own. it's easy to get defensive if you have one but my buying sprees  for year after year I was hoping for something better.
finally I think enfield cracked it with the 650 interceptor
would I buy I classic 500 again - sure -I like the look of them. they probably even look better than an interceptor but only drama they don't go anywhere near as good and 95 % vibrate and some vibrate really bad.
believe me the interceptor does run well and is a very good bike to buy to kid you are riding back in time and it is the late '60's! its a trip back in time with reliability thrown in

k6iuz

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 02:32:10 am
You mentioned it cruises effortlessly at 60...how does it do at 80?

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:33 am
Thanks for sharing. I would tend to agree with most of what you said. I’m a fairly new rider and have only ridden three other bikes beside the GT 650 that I own, so I don’t have much to compare it to. However, I don’t think anyone could argue against the 650s being a great value.

Are there better built bikes out there? Absolutely. At the same price point? No way! One of the things that attracted me to them in the first place was their affordability coupled with the stellar review they kept getting.

I was pretty dead set against buying new for my first bike, but when I realized I could get a brandy new 650 for less than most of the reliable used bikes in my area, I changed my tune.

Yes the fuel gauge is garbage and I wish it worked correctly. I haven’t experienced the vibration or neutral issue you described though.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:44 am
"very good bike to buy to kid you are riding back in time and it is the late '60's! its a trip back in time with reliability thrown in"

what no Lucas electrics? my first bike was a BSA A65 so yeah that's what appeals to me.
Currently have a DL650 and DR650 and as soon I have the DR set up I hope to add an Interceptor.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

Dharmabum

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 05:20:32 am
I have mine since April and just clocked up 8000ks.  I too have a neutral between 5th and 6th occasionaly only on the up change.

The Fuel Gauge starts flashing on one bar you have about 50 kilometers to go.  I had slight condensation in the gauges but it seemed to sort it self out and is gone.  I did a 10 day ride of 3500 kilometers and the bike didnt miss a beat.

I have put after market mufflers ( Gursewak ) a DNA air filter, fork gaiters and the headlight wire guard oh and leather grip wraps that make it more comfortable.  The seat is adequate but am going to to get it re done or replace to be kinder to my ass.  Still waiting for a good pannier set up. The Stuart Fillingham you tube clips have been very helpful. I replaced the rear tyre at 7500k so I expect most of you will as we all have the same tyre. 

I love the bike and feel no desire to get another one. This will do me nicely.

Regards

Dharma Bum

Dharmabum

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:21:30 am
And yes it will cruise easily at 80mph.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:53:04 am
Cracked 2000k and had my first ride with non enfield mates and easily kept up!! WooHoo!!!! Finally! :) Also put the DNA air filter in today and there is no more back firing and popping with the S&S exhaust! Very happy with the smoothnews and power. Ride thoughts: Its no highway cruiser and is not very stable above 110Km/h. Suffers with a pillion aboard too (as noted in previous post). Its sweet spot is 4-5 grand and pulls great! Above this seems more noise than results although have not had sustained revs in those regions. It is a bit gutless below 4 grand, labours at low revs and lacks acceleration. However, it loves it between 4-5 grand and that seems damn fine to me. Will give it a bit more in time. ewas considering ther power booster but still not sure
cheers heaps
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 06:46:12 am
And yes it will cruise easily at 80mph.
That's what I wanted to hear!  Mine hasn't even had its first service yet so isn't even fully run in and I am keeping revs down.  So long as it will cruise at 75 mph all day long with reserve for passing I will be very happy.  Based on it's spirited behavior at 60 mph I suspected that it would cruise at 70 - 75 with ease.  Just so glad to hear this and see it in print.

Most of my riding is on two-lane blacktop, kinky, windy roads through the mountains in Idaho, and the bike is perfect for that.  But I do ride some on the freeway, and being able to handle that is important to me.

The BIG REASON I bought the bike was for those twisty mountain roads.  And this brings up the one negative of the bike.  That negative is that is is nearly impossible to find alloy wheels to run tubeless tires!  Those roads that I live to ride have LONG stretches (100 or so miles) with absolutely NO service, not even cell service to call roadside assistance.  I am 71 and have NO INTENTION of EVER crawling around in the dirt for two hours or having to lay my bike down in the gravel to get a wheel off to change a freaking tube just because RE is too damned stupid to make alloy wheels available.  I spent 6 long months searching and searching and finally found a good source ... I wouldn't have bought the bike if I couldn't get alloy wheels for it.  Some may consider what I found to be butt-ugly, but they are the ONLY option that I know of.  When your only alternative is wrestling around in the dirt for two hours they all of a sudden are more attractive.  You can get them here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/drye7pgx9c0ypnn/RE%20TUBELESS%20WHEELS%20INFO.docx?dl=0
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 03:03:03 pm
I too ride remote back country roads through the local mountains with iffy cell coverage and don't look forward to wrestling with a tube. Those wheels you linked are beyond ugly though. I plan to carry a tube, motion pro bead breaker/tire irons/lube and use a product like ride on and carry a can of seal/air. My DR is old school (tubed and carburetored) and about ready for first tire change so I will see how that goes. I know it's one thing to do at home in garage and another to do in the field. Tubed tires are one area where they perhaps took the retro idea too far! Motion Pro makes a nice light totally tool kit sized bead breaker. I have an alloy version.
 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-beadpro-forged-steel-tire-bead-breaker?gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA5HQ_2dlg-VThvSd5oznBcCxStpp1pqTHpWovmnSgQB4F8gr244yuRoCHKsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:09:36 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 04:19:06 pm
Hidehi everyone,  I've ridden both versions of th 650, and in my opinion the gear change is sweeter on the GT.  This is may  because of the linkages on the Interceptor. It would be interesting if owners of both post their findings.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 04:39:30 pm
Hidehi everyone,  I've ridden both versions of th 650, and in my opinion the gear change is sweeter on the GT.  This is may  because of the linkages on the Interceptor. It would be interesting if owners of both post their findings.

Mine is the slickest shifting bike I've ever been on by far! Shit eating grin plastered to my face whenever I'm riding it  ;D
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 05:15:48 pm
Thought I would chime in just in case. Slime DOES make a special version of sealant that is designed for inner tube tires. They claim it will seal up to a 1/8" hole. I have not tried it and hopefully never will. When I ride up in the Catskills of NY, there is no cell service for many miles. I carry spare tubes on my Claasic 500 but I will not even attempt to change out a tube roadside. I pay $2 extra a month per bike, for roadside pickup 24 hours a day, and delivery to the nearest servicing facility. I hope to never need it.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 05:46:31 pm
I've just removed the front tyre from my GT. Holy shit. That was difficult. I don't think I could have done it on the roadside with my small tool pack levers. Even with the long Michelin levers it was a nightmare. I'm expecting just as much drama putting the new one on.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 05:53:42 pm
ride on is another product that can help/prevent flats.
https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 06:16:36 pm
Thought I would chime in just in case. Slime DOES make a special version of sealant that is designed for inner tube tires. They claim it will seal up to a 1/8" hole. I have not tried it and hopefully never will. When I ride up in the Catskills of NY, there is no cell service for many miles. I carry spare tubes on my Claasic 500 but I will not even attempt to change out a tube roadside. I pay $2 extra a month per bike, for roadside pickup 24 hours a day, and delivery to the nearest servicing facility. I hope to never need it.
9fingers

If there is no cell service, how do you call for your roadside pickup???  Answer: you don't.

I agree that the wheels I finally found aren't exactly the prettiest.  If RE ever pulls its head out of its butt and offers alloy wheels for the Interceptor, I will probably get them.  That could be a year, two years, maybe never.  In the meantime all I have to carry is a little tire pump and a tubeless repair kit the size of a large wallet.  I also carry a couple bottles of water to help me find small punctures.  If any of you ever find nicer-looking alloy wheels for an Interceptor PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  But I am not holding my breath. There are all kinds of nice alloy wheels for the Bullet line, but none for the 650's, so RE has no excuse except stupidity and slavish adherence to "the retro look" at the expense of practicality.

The Ride On sealant looks very good to me and when I finally get my alloy wheels I will be using it.
https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:10:50 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8