Author Topic: Aftermarket exhausts  (Read 14154 times)

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
on: December 21, 2019, 05:35:27 pm
Winter time here has me thinking about mods and accessories for my 2019 conti 650. I really like the looks and sound of Hitchcock’s slash cut silencers, but I just ran across TEC bike parts slip on exhaust and that looks great to. The missenden flyer has a video on YouTube displaying them on his bike.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40584

https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/tec-304-stainless-pair-of-slip-on-cannon-silencers-royal-enfield-interceptor-650-continental-gt-650/

Any thoughts or experience?

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:59:11 pm
I keep wondering if the TEC cans are re-branded AEW from India.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:21:51 pm
I just received and installed the AEW 'peashooter' exhaust on my INT650.  Was listed on ebay for 235, I think.  Offered 200.  Accepted.  Arrived a week later direct from India.  Great service.

Installed very easily.  Literally, slip on.  To my eye, looks great.  And sounds even better!   I was concerned that it might be too loud, as it's pretty much straight through.  But it has a lovely, mellow tone.  Definitely louder than stock, but not in the category of anti-social. 

Overall, very pleased.  Will try to post a couple of photos, which also shows off my new-ish Russell saddle.  Just wish it were warmer around here.  Only about 35 (F).

John

Just tried preview and photos not showing.  Have reduced them to about 60kb and still can't post.  Anyone help here?  Thanks.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 07:30:48 pm
I actually really like the looks of those pipes. Thanks for making this decision harder for me  ;)

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 08:01:55 pm
I keep wondering if the TEC cans are re-branded AEW from India.
No, they are not.  The AEW cans have removable end caps and the TEC cans don't.
choice of silencers is mostly looks and sound.
Both are so subjective that proclaiming "best" is impossible.
It's all about what YOU like.
I have a pair of AEW reverse cone silencers without baffles on my Interceptor ... after I removed all of the packing from the silencers.
I love the sound.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:07:01 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 09:37:26 pm
I just received and installed the AEW 'peashooter' exhaust on my INT650.  Was listed on ebay for 235, I think.  Offered 200.  Accepted.  Arrived a week later direct from India.  Great service.

Installed very easily.  Literally, slip on.  To my eye, looks great.  And sounds even better!   I was concerned that it might be too loud, as it's pretty much straight through.  But it has a lovely, mellow tone.  Definitely louder than stock, but not in the category of anti-social. 

Overall, very pleased.  Will try to post a couple of photos, which also shows off my new-ish Russell saddle.  Just wish it were warmer around here.  Only about 35 (F).

John

Just tried preview and photos not showing.  Have reduced them to about 60kb and still can't post.  Anyone help here?  Thanks.

Those are the pipes I'm contemplating. The trick to photos is they don't show up in the preview. They just fixed the forum so you can use full sized pictures from an iPhone X. You get a little thumbnail but if someone clicks on it they get the whole picture.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 02:27:31 am
Those are the pipes I'm contemplating. The trick to photos is they don't show up in the preview. They just fixed the forum so you can use full sized pictures from an iPhone X. You get a little thumbnail but if someone clicks on it they get the whole picture.
Are these the ones?  These are what I have.
https://www.sparezo.com/products/exhaust/royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-exhaust-muffler-silencer-with-db-killer
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:08 am
Cough! What's wrong with the originals?
Weight? This is not a racing machine, and it handles beautifully as is.
Noise? Noisy enough.
Looks? Meh. I think they're grand.  :P

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 12:51:48 pm
"What's wrong with the originals?"

Short answer (IMHO)...nothing

Long Answer...IMHO....

Customization
personalization
artistic expression
mechanical expression
hobbyist
tinkerer
experimentation
quest for improvement
search for perfection
wannabe racer
bragging rights
impress you friends
get chicks
real racer
enjoyment
fun
pleasing to the eye
pleasing to the ear
satisfaction of that certain "sound"

Idunno...maybe another score of reasons?  Motorcycles seem to just have a certain effect on their owners!

Cookie

Cough! What's wrong with the originals?
Weight? This is not a racing machine, and it handles beautifully as is.
Noise? Noisy enough.
Looks? Meh. I think they're grand.  :P

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 06:25:48 pm
Of course! I forgot about getting chicks!  :o

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 11:49:39 pm
Are these the ones?  These are what I have.
https://www.sparezo.com/products/exhaust/royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc-exhaust-muffler-silencer-with-db-killer

Yours are the reverse cone. The ones I'm thinking of go by many names but to me they look like a snake swallowed a cat. Or a sausage. Like most Bonnevilles have.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 01:33:51 am
Yours are the reverse cone. The ones I'm thinking of go by many names but to me they look like a snake swallowed a cat. Or a sausage. Like most Bonnevilles have.

I believe they are called "peashooter" mufflers.   :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 09:49:36 pm
I believe they are called "peashooter" mufflers.   :)

And yet people sell reverse cone and call them pea shooters. Since I am only familiar with one "pee shooter" and I don't think they look like that😜 I figure my description will work.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 02:45:33 am
"Snake that swallered a cat" silencers just doesn't have a ring to it.  Neither does 'Shotgun barrel after being fired with a cork in the muzzle' silencers.  Methinks 'Peashooters' is the proper term.
2019 Interceptor. 

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 09:46:50 am
I agree

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 11:59:01 am
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 01:27:03 pm
That's cool!

Any other objects supposedly to be known as pea shooters in the MC world were (somewhat) recently pulled from someone's arsch  :)

Merry Christmas guys

https://www.bikeexif.com/harley-davidson-vintage-motorcycles
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:13:08 pm by Dr Mayhem »
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 05:18:24 pm
I have the S&S cans on mine and I love them.  Great sound.  Looks great and weighs a hell of a lot less than stock.
Those pea shooters look pretty dope, though.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2019, 06:08:43 pm
I have the S&S cans on mine and I love them.  Great sound.  Looks great and weighs a hell of a lot less than stock.
Those pea shooters look pretty dope, though.

I thought about the s&s pipes but the dealer was going to charge close to $1,000 (installed), and I just couldn’t justify it. I knew there would be a lot of aftermarket options that I could install myself for a fraction of the price. The s&s are really nice though so I can’t hate on them.

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 06:34:59 pm
The installation takes about 5 minutes.  It's really not difficult.  The dealer here (Dallas) got mine for $630.  Not to mention S&S sends you a free shirt.  I always dig on free stuff.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 07:27:00 am
The installation takes about 5 minutes.  It's really not difficult.  The dealer here (Dallas) got mine for $630.  Not to mention S&S sends you a free shirt.  I always dig on free stuff.

That’s part of the reason I couldn’t justify it. I knew the markup must have been crazy, and they were going to charge a lot for the labor too. I’m all for people making money, but I felt like they were trying to take advantage so I passed.

Adeptus_Minor

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 03:56:13 am
I'm really fond of my Tec's.  The seem very well made, they're WAY lighter than stock, and they look and tone are exactly what I wanted.
I ran them with the DB killer in for a couple of weeks, but now they're running full bore and I find I like the sound just fine.
I'm not the loudest bike in the neighborhood and I think I can live with that.   ;D
2019 Continental GT 650 - Ice Queen

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 02:01:20 pm
I'm really fond of my Tec's.  The seem very well made, they're WAY lighter than stock, and they look and tone are exactly what I wanted.
I ran them with the DB killer in for a couple of weeks, but now they're running full bore and I find I like the sound just fine.
I'm not the loudest bike in the neighborhood and I think I can live with that.   ;D

I’m definitely leaning towards those at the moment, though they’re currently out of stock at TEC. Thanks for the input.

SergioMath

• Synesthete
  • Scooter
Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 12:08:20 am
Hello gents

Some time ago I saw a teaser video Termignoni posted about some high scrambler pipes. They have appeared to disappear. I also saw an option from AEW if I'm not mistaken.

Aside from those one-off pipes we see pop up in shows and vids, have you seen other options for a street scrambler look?
Current motorcycles:

1973 Honda CB350F Brat Style Cafe Racer
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

gotbikes

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 10:50:24 pm
I have the s&s mufflers on my interceptor and they are ok. The weight savings is terrific but they are louder than I would like. I have emailed them about how to tone them down a bit but their customer service is abysmal - they offered no help. So I can't recommend them, especially since there are so many alternatives out there.
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to quieten them down? I have the db killers in place.
Thanks

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 11:29:29 pm
I have the s&s mufflers on my interceptor and they are ok. The weight savings is terrific but they are louder than I would like. I have emailed them about how to tone them down a bit but their customer service is abysmal - they offered no help. So I can't recommend them, especially since there are so many alternatives out there.
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to quieten them down? I have the db killers in place.
Thanks
No one seems to understand that not everyone wants obnoxiously loud pipes on their motorcycle.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 11:46:46 pm
Thanks
Even if the cones don't come off you can find additional baffles which insert in the front end of the silencers. If the cones do come off you can buy longer bafflers with chambers.
Take one of the S&S out and measure all the dimensions. Then do a search for super quite baffles and you will find one that fits.
Example:https://duckduckgo.com/?q=super+quiet+baffles+for+S%26S+exhaust&atb=v321-1&iax=images&ia=images
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 02:49:04 am
No one seems to understand that not everyone wants obnoxiously loud pipes on their motorcycle.
I was plonking around on my old DR250 yesterday. It still has the original (32yo) muffler on it and it was actually pretty nice not feeling like an obnoxious asshat for a change.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E