Author Topic: Exhaust mod questions  (Read 7558 times)

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 04:34:54 pm
Hi everyone, am I wrong,  or does the booster plug simply modify/ fool the ecu into reading a lower intake temperature when opening the throttle from a closed position. ? Thus giving a richer boost or less of a delay  in acceleration. Bit like pumper carbs.

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 05:34:20 pm
Hi everyone, am I wrong,  or does the booster plug simply modify/ fool the ecu into reading a lower intake temperature when opening the throttle from a closed position. ? Thus giving a richer boost or less of a delay  in acceleration. Bit like pumper carbs.

My take also. One day I'll probably snoop other forums to see if this device has been data logged to see what/where, how much exactly is this fuel enrichment happening
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 07:08:50 pm

The Booster Plug website gives lots of info and graphs.  But basically, yes, it fools the ecu into thinking it's 20 degrees (C) cooler than actual, resulting in about 6% more fuel.  Occurs only during 'open loop' operation, not steady state/closed loop.  Surprisingly, my first fillup with the Booster Plug gave no change in mpg.  Still at 70.  So the small adjustment only during throttle change is small enough to be almost undetectable in mpg, but very noticeable in drivability.

I like it so much on my RE that I just ordered one for my KTM Duke 390!

John

John

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 08:49:31 pm
Jhark 37,  well that looks like another sale for me then.  Is there any downsides ?

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 11:38:15 pm
I fitted some 19" hooligan emgos to mine and they were a bit loud. I then installed some aftermarket db killers that I trimmed down too much, took out the end baffle and squeezed to a part flat, and still too loud. Have ordered another set of killers and will install untouched this time. If you only do the pipes or filter, the ecu will accommodate, but I will be doing filter and pipes so installed a booster plug to be sure it never ran too lean. Biggest hassle is the muffler gasket needs to be replaced every time I remove the DB inserts as the inserts are bigger than the gasket. $26 a pair every time and getting them tacked in place at $5 a spot tack.

Beagle,
nothing particular to contribute to the discussion. Just wanted to say that your bike is an absolute beauty! Congratulations!