Author Topic: Video overview of Ace Fireball 535 Continental GT  (Read 6144 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 08:20:36 am
It shouldn't be to hard though to get some extra power out of this twin. It wasn't until the multiple cylinder bikes learned to take advantage of the very high revs when they beat the manxes om the race track. Considering that the Fireball 535 also lost some weight in the process and came out below 170kg vs 200kg on the 650 it should be a very close match.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 10:48:13 am
It shouldn't be to hard though to get some extra power out of this twin. It wasn't until the multiple cylinder bikes learned to take advantage of the very high revs when they beat the manxes om the race track. Considering that the Fireball 535 also lost some weight in the process and came out below 170kg vs 200kg on the 650 it should be a very close match.
Yes, I agree that there should be plenty of room for the 650 twin power modifications .

But in this comparison it was a smaller displacement longstroke undersquare 2-valve pushrod single vs a larger displacement shortstroke oversquare 4-valve overhead cam twin.

One of my original aims for the Fireball was to give the singles a similar performance level of the vintage 650-750cc class of Brit twins such as the Interceptor. I am happy to see it is still holding its own vs the current Interceptor. Certainly, the bigger twins will be faster when modded.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 10:47:04 am
Worked out great, no swedish melon heads involved.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:09:32 am by Joe_535i »

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 03:55:49 am
We've got it local Honda dealer here in Houston that has a dino. For $500 that I'll make five passes on the dyno, tuning after each pass.

I would like to get my GT on their dyno Define tun the Power Commander, especially on the timing side.

Is the Ace air box, mainly the redesigned air filter housing something that can be purchased? If so, this is a modification I would like to install before getting it on the dyno.

Currently I have a stock 2014 GT with the stainless steel header Pipe and Muffler that Hitchcock's sales, the K&N air filter, Power Commander V and the aluminum air box opening from Hitchcock's that replaces the stock more constricted airbox intake opening.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

jez

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 12:15:28 pm
Have you tested the Hitchcock cams with your head?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 01:37:46 pm

HI jez - No.
We have our own grind that we’ll be testing.
  I will have a pair within two weeks. I will test them on my Bullet with the Clubman Kit head with the ‘beehive’ valve springs. Figure that as a Stage 2.
  The Bullet has stock cams now, running the Clubman Kit head with stock RE valve springs. It’s running is ‘snappy’!
  When I get our ACE Motors performance cams, they will be fitted to the Bullet and the Clubman Kit will be switched out to the stronger springs model.
  Next, another set of cams will be ground to fit on my CGT 535, recently acquired for running the Fireball 535 head.
  My original 535 that was going to be setup with the Fireball, developed a problem I couldn’t solve. Whenever I would assemble the primary drive, the kick lever could not turn over the motor. I did it twice. It’s sitting at a (Non RE) dealership, waiting to be diagnosed.
  Lots of development in the works!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 01:42:30 pm
We've got it local Honda dealer here in Houston that has a dino. For $500 that I'll make five passes on the dyno, tuning after each pass.

I would like to get my GT on their dyno Define tun the Power Commander, especially on the timing side.

Is the Ace air box, mainly the redesigned air filter housing something that can be purchased? If so, this is a modification I would like to install before getting it on the dyno.

Currently I have a stock 2014 GT with the stainless steel header Pipe and Muffler that Hitchcock's sales, the K&N air filter, Power Commander V and the aluminum air box opening from Hitchcock's that replaces the stock more constricted airbox intake opening.

I have the ACE Motors Air Kit 3 in stock. there are three elements included: the air filter holder halves, the Spectre 4809 air filter, the velocity stack for the throttle body intake. And zip ties!
  PM me if you want one.
Do you want me to post some pictures?
Cheers,
Bill G

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 01:49:20 pm

It will come down to room for lift .
If the H cams won't exceed the .600" max lift room after being multiplied by our rocker ratio, they should work, but we haven't tried them ourselves.

The cams we used for the video were the same profile as the Iron Barrel Ace Magnum cams, except translated geometry for use with roller tappets and ground on UCE cam lobes..

As Bill mentioned we have another more aggressive profile coming on for testing next.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:59:29 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 06, 2020, 04:32:20 pm
Sure, if you could post a few pictures, that would be nice.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 04:56:13 pm
Whenever I would assemble the primary drive, the kick lever could not turn over the motor. I did it twice. It’s sitting at a (Non RE) dealership, waiting to be diagnosed.

Would the electric start turn over the engine?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 06, 2020, 05:32:40 pm
Sure, if you could post a few pictures, that would be nice.

KD5ITM - Here's pics of the Air Kit filter holder, the velocity stack and the air filter. Also, there's a how-to on the installation.
Bill

The Air Kit 3 installation movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAUPA27HeUk&t=1s

KD5ITM

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 12:40:43 am
Thanks for the pictures.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 10:20:41 pm
This link contains the SAGA of the development of the Air Kit product. If you read this, you’ll know as much as anyone about engine intake air flow!
  Other good news, ACE.cafe is still on this forum!

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=22756.0

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 10:36:39 pm
This is Tom’s original performance review on the thread of the original design thread. He was running his GT535 with the first run of the Air Kit set up.

Everything fit correctly, no modifications needed, no mess, no fuss, and done in about 10-15 minutes. ;D

Ride Report:

I did a before/after, so that I would have a good basis for commenting.

The idle did not change. Still started up with one press of the button, and idled like a clock.
Coming off idle onto the road in first gear, it felt stronger. Pulled out with better authority than before.
Shifting up thru the gears, it pulled better and revved more freely all the way up above 5000 rpm, which was as high as I went. The bike felt less strained, revved easier, and seemed to have less vibration at speed, and 65mph felt more comfortable.
I took it up a slight hill with the throttle wide open and it still only went to 4500 rpm on the tach in top gear. This looked like about 80mph indicated on the speedo, which I don't know the accuracy level of. I didn't have a GPS to check it.

So anyway, it seems like a good overall improvement to me.
Not a miracle, but some noticeable improvement over the previous K&N filter that I had in there. Nothing got worse, didn't seem to adversely affect anything in the Stage One PC-V map that is in my PC-V, so it should work fine with the map that you have in there working for you now.

I don't have any dyno testing, and this is just a subjective feel test.
I liked it.
It's not going to turn the bike into a raging racing bike, but it feels better and more free and relaxed to me, and a little more powerful.

So, that's a genuine and realistic impression of what it is in real life, compared to the same bike with a K&N in the stock airbox.
No hype.

I think most people would like it.

KD5ITM

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 10:46:46 pm
Thanks for posting.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon