Author Topic: Can the RE Tripper be set to miles. If so, how?  (Read 3779 times)

Alan F.

• Grease Monkey
  • We remember the Night Rider, & we know who You are
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2022, 01:59:00 am
These are great bikes with some cack Play-Skool "showroom-floor" gadgetry tacked on, none of which you need. Let the dealer fix/repair/tune/replace as necessary. If he can't or won't, duct-tape over the offending features and go riding. Nothing on the "cluster" is worth breaking a single bead of sweat over. If you looped it and smashed the "cluster" on a rock, the machine would run the same. Your speedo works now, that'll keep you legal in town. The odometer works, just in Km not Mi. You're actually in pretty good shape. Need to know fuel level with certainty? Pop the cap. Are you in neutral? Let the clutch out a bit to test. Direction? Look around, get a Garmin, open your cell phone. In the "Correct Gear"? Is the engine lugging or over-revving for the speed you need to go? Toe the shifter appropriately, work the clutch & throttle.

Here's a great quote from a knowledgeable contributor:
" Mine is well out of warranty, so if I was faced with a major cluster failure I'd just install a nice electronic Smith's replica speedo, install a high beam indicator in the head light shell and dispense with everything else. I'm pretty sure I could ride mine a very long way without knowing what time it was, what the air intake temperature is or which way the silly compass thinks I'm heading. I rode for a lot of years on bikes that didn't have gear position indicators or even neutral lights, so that'd be no problem and as far as the MIL light, the bike will let you know if there's a problem and you can troubleshoot it with a scan tool if it does. "

The Himalayan engine works well, the gearbox ratios are appropriate, the geometry is good, the suspension is appropriate for the machines intended function. The "cluster" is distracting you from enjoying this very nice package, and even if it was functioning perfectly wouldn't add much value. If the dealer won't/can't fix it, buy a scan tool, tape over the worrisome bits & just go riding! Top off the tank every 100 miles (160 Km ;D) or so and ride just like we've ridden for the last 100 years or so, by feeling & listening to your machine. You won't miss a thing but the angst.

You were totally right on with this no matter what anyone else had replied.

I'll ride with you anytime.
North of Boston, MA - 2020 Orange Crush INT650

cwmoss

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2022, 07:38:03 pm
Got my Scram in October. The only thing I want my tripper to do is tell me the time. Now if I just had me a cup holder.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 12:29:50 am
Well, it's been just about a full year since Royal Enfield Customer Service sent me the following message in response to my email to them (shown earlier in this thread) asking when the Tripper might at last be able to display miles, feet and such:

Dear Bill, Greetings from Royal Enfield!!!

These features will be available soon in the next release. We thank you for your inputs and feedback.

Appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.

Regards,

Royal Enfield - Customer Support

So obviously their concept of "soon" doesn't calibrate very closely with mine. The fact that they're possibly shipping more bikes, at least exports, with a shiny blanking plate instead of a Tripper nowadays might be a hint the blush may now be fading off that tech gizmo rose there in Chennai.🌹

Folks with the doodad should perhaps just set them to clock mode and more or less try to ignore them for now. But sooner or later someone may sort out a better version or use for the Tripper display and phone link. In the meantime, for a $1.25 at the Dollar Tree you can grab some earbuds with a microphone and for GPS just let your phone's nice Google Directions Lady tell you where to turn. Happily married 25 years in March, I need not even see the screen--For I am completely used to just letting a nice lady tell me what to do.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:53:18 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Ltpessimist

• Neophyte
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2023, 11:11:17 pm
My Tripper displays in Miles. It's a setting in the app on your phone hope this helps

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 01:26:08 pm
My Tripper displays in Miles. It's a setting in the app on your phone hope this helps
It good to know there are people like you on here that can give a member a straightforward helpful answer.
Freedom.