Author Topic: An Observtion.....Quiet Bikes and Loud Bikes  (Read 11277 times)

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: April 09, 2021, 01:13:55 am
A little extra sound on just about any bike sounds nice to me. Not straight pipes of course, but a Harley with that "Flowmasters" or Steve McQueen "Bullit" sound is beautiful. Sorry, but "sewing machine" bikes just don't cut it for me.

And, I may be anecdotal(hate the word") but a little extra sound can alert a sleepy driver on a highway that you are next to him(oops non woke. I mean individual- shoot me)

That's one of the things I love about these bikes - they managed to give them a real sound.  Not too loud, and not just a whisper.

I would love an exhaust system that keeps the sound while losing 25 or 30 pounds.  I think the TEC Stinger comes closest. I just haven't reconciled my self to losing the cats entirely.  I like clean air.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #91 on: April 09, 2021, 02:10:15 am
That's one of the things I love about these bikes - they managed to give them a real sound.  Not too loud, and not just a whisper.

I would love an exhaust system that keeps the sound while losing 25 or 30 pounds.  I think the TEC Stinger comes closest. I just haven't reconciled my self to losing the cats entirely.  I like clean air.
If you are committed, search for "universal catalytic converter replacement". About $80 USD as small as 2inches dia / 8inches long. O2 sensor bung included. Any decent muffler shop can reduce and install. Decorate to suit.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: April 09, 2021, 08:51:12 pm
If you are committed, search for "universal catalytic converter replacement". About $80 USD as small as 2inches dia / 8inches long. O2 sensor bung included. Any decent muffler shop can reduce and install. Decorate to suit.

I've looked at slip-in catalyst inserts. I need to learn more about how the stinger muffler is constructed in order to choose a size. And I need to sell some unused toys to pay for the stinger.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #93 on: April 09, 2021, 10:12:34 pm
This Sunday they're predicting rain, so I'll most likely drive over, but if the forecast changes for the better, breakfast at 8, and a ride afterward. That being said I'm there every Sunday and all are welcome. A PM before hand is a good idea, just in case I decide to go fishing or something.  ;) But anyone that sees this is welcome, no matter what they ride.

Love to be there, but it's a bit far for me. If anybody wants to meet in SE Idaho, send me a PM. (That is, if it doesn't snow again.) Loud pipes, no cats, all OK, nobody cares.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: April 09, 2021, 10:17:04 pm
Love to be there, but it's a bit far for me. If anybody wants to meet in SE Idaho, send me a PM. (That is, if it doesn't snow again.) Loud pipes, no cats, all OK, nobody cares.

I hear ya, We're done with snow here, at least I hope so, now we're entering mud season.  ;)

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #95 on: April 09, 2021, 10:24:01 pm
Ultimately I would like to switch the mufflers I have (EMGO) for the ones I initially wanted... Scorpion...

This way I will have the weight savings and reduce the noise made by the EMGO pipes.

But for now, very happy with the setup, for the price, even if it is louder than I wanted...

When funds become available.... enjoying what I have for now.

Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #96 on: April 09, 2021, 10:34:07 pm
Lucky you, I'm still looking for scrambler-type high level exhausts. Scarce as hen's teeth. Should be a market for the Interceptor but except for the Zard (which seems to be overpriced for the quality of workmanship), there doesn't seem to be anything available.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #97 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:21 pm
Ultimately I would like to switch the mufflers I have (EMGO) for the ones I initially wanted... Scorpion...

This way I will have the weight savings and reduce the noise made by the EMGO pipes.

But for now, very happy with the setup, for the price, even if it is louder than I wanted...

When funds become available.... enjoying what I have for now.

Exhaust system prices are absolutely insane these days.

I chose the EMGOs based on looks and price. Hard to pass them up as reasonably priced as they are.

They LOOK like they should have from the factory and they're chrome to match the headers.
You can get away from the cheesy chrome bracket and use the stock muffler mounts with a bit of custom fitting.

I don't mind the quicker mid range throttle response either. If they were a bit quieter that'd be OK but at the price they can be bought for I can afford ear plugs.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #98 on: April 09, 2021, 10:38:35 pm
PS there's an old joke here in Idaho that there's two seasons, winter and the fourth of July, and sometimes it snows on the fourth of July. True story, I've been in snow on the fourth of July. I'll keep you posted.

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #99 on: April 09, 2021, 11:03:56 pm
When I lived in Winnipeg, they had two seasons, winter and mosquitoes. We get summer every year too.... Last year it was on a Tuesday.  ::)
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #100 on: April 09, 2021, 11:19:01 pm
Thanks, but I'll take the snow. I've seen the mosquitoes there.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #101 on: April 09, 2021, 11:23:49 pm
Thanks, but I'll take the snow. I've seen the mosquitoes there.

Could be worse. In Alaska the mosquitoes have "N" numbers on their tails.

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #102 on: April 09, 2021, 11:32:42 pm
Been there too, but never heard that one.  :D :D

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #103 on: April 09, 2021, 11:38:58 pm
My just-across-the-street neighbor has a LOUD Harley soft-tail.  He spent 20 grand for what? 0 to 70 maybe a second faster than my Interceptor, worse handling than my Interceptor, his bike is so low that I literally run away from him in the kinky twisty mountain roads around here where he's dragging bike parts on the pavement in corners I am taking while taking a nap.
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #104 on: April 10, 2021, 03:39:16 am
Cant wait to get a mega loud harley that blows smoke like a two stroke so I can park outside a woke cafe and rev the @#$% out of it:)
Righteous RE riders? Really!
cheers and beers
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R