Author Topic: An Observtion.....Quiet Bikes and Loud Bikes  (Read 11270 times)

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 08:12:27 pm
The nice thing about Harley's is that when you go on one of their forums it doesn't have a constant stream of posts whining about other bikes. The insecurity about ones bike of choice isn't limited to RE owners, I've noticed it on triumph forums too.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 08:33:30 pm
The nice thing about Harley's is that when you go on one of their forums it doesn't have a constant stream of posts whining about other bikes. The insecurity about ones bike of choice isn't limited to RE owners, I've noticed it on triumph forums too.
Say what you want about Harley's but I've never met an owner of one that didn't think it was absolutely the best bike on the planet. I haven't owned an HD street bike since 1971, but when I did I was insufferable.  (Not that I'm any better now.) ;)

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 08:40:35 pm
Say what you want about Royal Enfields but I've never met an owner of one that didn't think it was absolutely not the best bike on the planet.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 08:50:31 pm
Say what you want about Harley's but I've never met an owner of one that didn't think it was absolutely the best bike on the planet. I haven't owned an HD street bike since 1971, but when I did I was insufferable.  (Not that I'm any better now.) ;)
I know a lot of HD owners and while they may prefer HD to all other brands, every single one of them can also appreciate other styles and manufacturers. I'm still a HD owner for another week and while I wouldn't buy any other brand for a tourer or cruiser, I recognize there are plenty of other makers out there that make great bikes too. Hell, just last night I had a couple harley guys admiring my RE. If the internet is to be believed guys like that don't exist, but in the real world I'm constantly meeting cool folks on all brands, regardless of what I'm riding.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 09:28:36 pm
GET OFF MY LAWN!!! DAMN KIDS!!
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 09:36:52 pm
This is quite a strategy for question response, copy & invert the meaning, make it seem like the original questioner missed a vital point or concept.
This worked OK for Jackstraw, not so well for Zimmemr when you added an extra "not" altering the meaning, probably unintentionally.
Your alterations to Jackstraw's questions are interesting, "loud pipes" become "small bikes", "spectacle" becomes "fool", "riding in large groups" becomes "riding an underpowered indian bike". So apparently riding a small, underpowered Indian-built bike makes one a fool? So then logically, to be considered "not a fool" (wise? intelligent? sagacious? rational? sane?) one must then ride loud, powerful motorcycles in large groups?

In the future I'll keep a sharp eye ( & ear!) out for large groups of "wise" riders on their powerful, unmuffled 200 HP Hayabusas & ZX14's, Ninja H2R's (we are talking actually powerful motorcycles, yes?) careening along the highway. I wouldn't want to impede their wonderfulness by having to see or acknowledge my lowly solitary 22 BHP Bullet ingenuously plonking along a public byway. Hopefully no "fool-cooties" will rub off as they streak past.

----------------

Zimmemr: Say what you want about Harley's but I've never met an owner of one that didn't think it was absolutely the best bike on the planet.
(summary: HD Owners think HD is best)

Viczena: Say what you want about Royal Enfields but I've never met an owner of one that didn't think it was absolutely not the best bike on the planet.
(summary: RE Owners think RE is worst)

-------------------

Jackstraw: The individual HD guys I come into contact with are usually quite nice and are often interested in my RE.  Unfortunately I don't know any Harley riders on a personal level that would make it easy to ask questions like the following;
1. Do you realize how annoying really loud pipes are?
2. At your age do you really like or need to make a spectacle of yourself?
3. What is the real attraction to riding in large groups?
4. Is displaying "attitude" important to you?
(summary: Author doesn't personally know any HD riders willing to answer questions of intent or purpose.)

Viczena: The individual RE guys I come into contact with are usually quite nice and are often interested in my HD.  Unfortunately I don't know any Enfield riders on a personal level that would make it easy to ask questions like the following
1. Do you realize how annoying really small bikes are?
2. At your age do you really like or need to make a fool of yourself?
3. What is the real attraction to riding an underpowered indian bike?
4. Is displaying "attitude" important to you?
(summary: Author doesn't personally know any RE riders willing to answer questions of intent or purpose.)

--------------------------

https://www.hotcars.com/the-fastest-motorcycles-you-can-buy-in-2020/

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 09:52:49 pm
W.T.F.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:07 pm
This thread is devolving into lord of the flies territory

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 10:12:36 pm
Put your helmets on a go for a ride ???
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2021, 10:30:12 pm
What. The. Actual. Hell. Was that?

It's like stream of consciousness gone wrong.
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

biscot

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2021, 10:40:41 pm
Back to seriousness (sorry I haven't read the devolved thread), we have lots of Harley riders here, a majority in fact, but none of them are nearly as noisy or annoying as the young hotshots driving big diesel pickups that are so loud they put the Harley riders to shame.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 12:09:28 am
What. The. Actual. Hell. Was that?

It's like stream of consciousness gone wrong.

Troll trolling. Well played.

Back to seriousness (sorry I haven't read the devolved thread), we have lots of Harley riders here, a majority in fact, but none of them are nearly as noisy or annoying as the young hotshots driving big diesel pickups that are so loud they put the Harley riders to shame.

Diesels have always been a thing here. But since Americans "discovered" performance diesel, copycats here have also embraced them. They usually have a giant HD sticker on the back window and towing a pair of jetskis or a Wakesetter. Cashed up bogans. They usually sound nice, though. Not too loud.

In any event, I mostly don't GAF about loud exhausts. A rowdy 2 stroke or unmuffled v8 makes me think someone is having fun. Barking dogs is my trigger though, so I can understand why a loud bike infuriates someone else.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:23:31 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 12:59:33 am
The nice thing about Harley's is that when you go on one of their forums it doesn't have a constant stream of posts whining about other bikes.
Because to many of them other bikes (or their riders) don't even exist and are not worthy of their time?  ;)
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 01:32:02 am
Because to many of them other bikes (or their riders) don't even exist and are not worthy of their time?  ;)

Bingo!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #44 on: April 05, 2021, 02:06:09 am
I dunno if I accept the premise of all Harley riders being snooty...The only group of Harleys and their riders that I've come across on my Bullet apart from the odd passing wave was up at Point of Rocks on the Maryland-Virginia line, where I'd paused for a break on the way home from a Britbike rally up in Oley, PA. They seemed genuinely interested in the Bullet and gave me an ice cold Budweiser tall boy as they were leaving. So, Harley riders are AOK by me. If I had to guess, I'd surmise they maybe saw something "kindred" in the antiquated-looking Enfield. Perhaps "lesser", sure, but kindred all the same--like that cousin with the unfortunate drooling issue. He'd still get a nice piece of chicken at the barbecue, right?

As for my Bullet's primitive "shortcomings", I embrace them. I suppose I enjoy the challenge. But then it ain't my first rodeo on a British-designed ride that demanded regular fettling. I freely concede that they ain't for everyone. Yet I'm not sure I'd truly enjoy something with more "appliance like" reliability as much, though I'd be willing to give one of those fancy 650s a good home some day.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:30:24 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.