Author Topic: Powertronic  (Read 20034 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: November 04, 2018, 06:03:15 pm
Hey guys. I am just getting back to this forum after returning home from Motorcycles of Dulles. Let me start by saying this was an adventure (Not the good kind) to get there. I headed from home at 4am to be there at
9-9:30. It was in the low 50s when I left, and the forecast was for highs in the upper 50s-low 60s later in the afternoon so I wore the RE leather jacket and the RE long sleeve. A little chilly, but not bad. when the sun
came up it was better, as I expected. Now, when I got to Reidsville Va. the bike shut off on me. I checked, and sure enough, the negative terminal broke. Again. "That's okay, I've got an extra in the saddle bag" I thought.
Nope, I left it in the other saddle bags. So I walked 2 miles to a truck stop, purchased a connector and walked 2 miles back. Oh, I walk with a cane for those of you who did not know. I got the connector installed, and now
I am running 2 hours or so behind schedule. I continue on, and call the dealership at 9am to explain I would be late and apologize. While pulled over for the call, I take a smoke break. Virginia's finest pull behind me and
turn on the blue lights. Great. He runs my tags, and says "Your tag number is coming back as a New York number, can you explain that?". I said WTF are you talking about? He asks me for my I.D. So, as I normally do, I
handed him my VA I.D. first, (As most police officers change their demeanor when they realize I am a Veteran) then my Driver's License. He runs my information and tells me to "Stay right there and don't move!" I started
to explain that I was headed to Dulles to shoot a video, but was told to Shut my mouth. Turns out, it was a mix up in the DOT system, and he still wanted to check my bike and my person. I was treated like a criminal for
NOTHING.
    I arrive at the dealership around 1pm. Four hours late. I walk in, and speak with one of the owners, John. He directed me to Carl, the Media guy. After a tour, etc. I started shooting the video. I had to wait for the other
owner to interview until he had time to do it. 2 hours or so. While I was reshooting a part of the video I wasn't satisfied with, I was aproached by a gentleman who actually recognised me from my YouTube channel, and
wanted to speak with me. A really cool guy actaully. He rides a Ural ad is thinking of getting an RE. I belive his name was Ezekial. I apologies if not. I have attached a picture of us. I get the interview, say my goodbyes
and leave with a dealership hat gifted to me by John at 4pm. I decide to stop for fuel, as the fuel light is coming on and off with brake use. I get to the station and realize I do not have my debit card. Now I am stuck.
My wife was out of town and not answering, My kids are 11 and 12 so no help there either. I had no choice but to panhandle to get fuel. Now that is depressing. It is now getting darker.... and COLDER. Forcast says 37!!!!
I am wearing a thin leather jacket and a long sleeve T. I have to keep stopping to warm up. On a motorcycle as you all know, in those temperatures at 65-70mph the wind chill is in the negative degrees. I got home at
around 1am with hypothermia. I would warm up, and immediately be cold again. I was cramping everywhere, and i hurt today.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 08:53:58 pm
My apologies, I just realized I gave no information on the Powertronic. Well, It seemed to operate great. The good: No hesitation, no stalling, small increase in power, in low to mid range. Bad: Top end/WOT fuel needs to be
adjusted as it seems to slightly bog (too rich) and spark advance needs to be dialed back a bit because I think the engine may be running a little hot. I will wait for the laptop that Bert has been so gracious to offer before
making the adjustments, and that should also give me time to recoup from the ride. I will update all of you once I get the numbers right, and share what numbers I have set, with what changes I've made to the bike (exhaust
etc.) I apreciate your patience guys.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 09:01:11 pm
What a day! Bet you're happy that one is over.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 04, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
What a day! Bet you're happy that one is over.
    You are correct. That was not a good day, lol.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 04, 2018, 09:35:33 pm
Forgot to mention one thing. While I was adjusting the GoPro to get a better look at the mountains coming into Virginia, The handlebar mount broke and I almost lost it. Bad day.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 11:52:57 pm
Powertronic listed on eBay ( under Royal Enfield Continental GT ) by a vendor/authorized dealer in Garland, TX For $255.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:50 am
Sorry to hear of your bad day.
as the temps are dropping it might be worth keeping over-trousers and jacket and maybe over- gloves in the panniers.
Although not pretty, they are cheap and at least they keep the wind off. (saved me last winter in snow and no where to get shelter!)
On my B5 when the fuel light flashes on hills or braking, there is still at least 50 miles in the tank just wondering if one of those portable fuel cans that off roaders use might be of use for your long distance stuff... might make a good review too....
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 12:40:49 pm
Agree with Johnno Bmadd and very sorry for your miserable day. That was a whole lotta crap heaped on one day. Did the cop apologize in any way after being such a jerk?
I wear a backpack, vintage looking of course, and carry overpants, warm gloves, water and any other things I want that day.
When I used to backpack I used to carry a mini stove and one of those aluminum cylinder cans full of stove gas, and carried the same can when trials riding whenever distance was involved since the tanks usually hold only around 1 gallon.
Carrying a quart of gas would get you an extra 15 miles plus and not weigh much.
Of course, also keep $5 or $10 in your bag for emergencies. But you know all this after what you went through. Thanks for testing the stuff and reporting on it.
9fingers
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:08:07 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 10:21:13 am
I just heard back from Powertronic concerning open/closed loop operation:
PowerTRONIC operates in closed loop at part throttle conditions versus open loop in full throttle conditions.
Part throttle range spans from 30% - 70%
Full throttle spans >70%.
Ignition control is possible at all throttle conditions but AFR is possible to post 70% of throttling region.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 03:14:26 pm
Now, when I got to Reidsville Va. the bike shut off on me. I checked, and sure enough, the negative terminal broke. Again. "That's okay, I've got an extra in the saddle bag" I thought.
Nope, I left it in the other saddle bags. So I walked 2 miles to a truck stop, purchased a connector and walked 2 miles back. Oh, I walk with a cane for those of you who did not know.

Next time (there may very well be one!), save yourself the walk -  just cut the broken connector off and clamp the wire directly to the battery terminal.  When you do your re-wire using sensible wire gauges, leave the battery cable a bit long so you can ease the tension on the connector and maybe give it a longer life...

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:18 am
What PT described was how all ECUs using narrowband HEGOs work.  It doesn't answer the question how the PT device works.

This is simple.  Does the PT device have at least one pair of wires connected to the RE's HEGO (eg, vice PC V's dead-ended jumper)?

If it does, then even without asking any questions of PT, we can be 90% sure how the PT device works based on the description provided by PowerSutra (thank you) plus R-Tune's Lambda display as Bmadd34 described.  There are too many factors (eg, the replacement relays, Bmadd24's connector picture, PowerSutra description) implying the superior capabilities of this device.

HOWEVER, we are still in a TLI situation.  What we need is pre-installation information as follows:

(1) What's in the Box?
(2) all the connectors interfacing to the RE, preferably with pictures
(3) an electronic or scanned copy of all documentation

I sent Bmadd34 a Panasonic ZS30 so we should be getting some great pictures of the above soon.

I'm assuming post-installation information will be on Bmadd34's YouTube channel.

-----------

If my assumptions and analysis are correct, we have a game-changing AFR device here: programmable AFR with closed-loop regime for half the cost of Dynojet's PC V with AT-200 solution, albeit narrow-band vice wide-band but close enough for an RE.

My recommendation: in anticipation of Bmadd34's confirming information, put the PT device at the top of your Xmas wish list (unless you have a birthday in November like I do but its too late for me I already have the PC V with AT-200).

My second recommendation (for Bmadd34): tell PT to improve their sucky documentation.  Apparently their technical writer previously wrote RE service manuals.  Improvements are possible and needed.  I'd be flattered to review those improvements before they publish them.

PS I have an extra (same reason I have an extra 2010 C5) new AT-200 (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/AutoTune/powercommander_autotune.aspx) so PM me if you would like to add this to your PC V.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 04:21:55 am
Page 1

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 04:47:31 am
Page 1

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 04:51:43 am
Page 2

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:59 am
Page 3