Author Topic: Neutral switch?  (Read 2506 times)

uvellani

• Scooter
on: May 26, 2020, 03:11:17 am
Getting my '08 AVL Electra X back on the road after a few months in storage and found a few issues.

Clogged pilot jet(dies without choke). I will clean the carb out thoroughly. Is the accepted practice to empty out the carb before putting it away for long periods?
Also it won't start in neutral. The neutral light comes on but I have to pull the clutch to start it. Would this be a neutral switch problem or simply wiring issues since the light comes on? I cannot remember now, but I think it was working fine the last time I rode it. And where is the neutral switch on this model? Is it inside the gear box?

Looking for some helpful pointers so I don't get it deeper than I have to.

Thanks
-uv

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:14:02 am
Is the accepted practice to empty out the carb before putting it away for long periods?

Yes.

And where is the neutral switch on this model? Is it inside the gear box?

It's on the back of the gearbox, there's a quite thin plastic hex head to it for unscrewing it, I managed to find an A/F box spanner the right size.

The sticking neutral light switch thing used to happen with mine, too. I seem to recall from the wiring diagram in the shop manual that it's in parallel with the clutch switch, so just pulling in the clutch will be fine until you get it sorted.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

uvellani

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:17:17 pm
I will take a look at the switch and see if I can sort out the issue.

Thanks
-uv

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:38:11 pm
I will take a look at the switch and see if I can sort out the issue.

Thanks
-uv

I wired a small Bosch (doesn't have to be Bosch) relay between the starter button and the large Main Starter Relay (which is an aftermarket better quality than the OEM) to help minimize arcing on the Starter Button contact points. Although I've used it sparingly since new, I want to know the damn starter circuit is there if I need it in traffic for some reason or other. It seemed to make perfect contact every time after I put that small starter contacts relay in. THE Most Important Thing, as you know of course, is a tiptop battery at all times. That's # One.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:42:06 pm
Also it won't start in neutral. The neutral light comes on but I have to pull the clutch to start it. Would this be a neutral switch problem or simply wiring issues since the light comes on?
The wiring diagram I have ( I don't have one for your model year) shows that the neutral sensor grounds when in neutral.  The ( brown? ) wire goes to a junction where it heads off in three directions, to the neutral indicator lamp, to the ECU ( which I guess doesn't apply to your machine), and to the clutch handle where it should act to ground the starting relay if the clutch handle is not pulled in.

Since starting in neutral is not working, that could mean,
     Bad connection between brown wire junction and Clutch switch
     Bad contact inside Clutch switch
     Neutral switch connection is providing a good enough connection to light the indicator but not letting enough power through to let the starting relay pull in.

On my 2012, the neutral sensor is not a plunger switch with internal contacts, it's just a copper plated tip, sticking down into the gearbox where it's supposed to make contact with an oily, perhaps dirty, perhaps corroded surface that is somehow grounded.  It's a bit sketchy.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:56:50 pm
I assume your bike has the separate, 5 speed gearbox. The neutral switch plunger makes the contact for the light when it aligns with a detent on the rear side of the gear cam plate.
Paul W.

uvellani

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 09:27:00 pm
Yes, the separate 5 speed box. For now I haven't gotten around to fixing this. I normally kickstart, so it's not urgent.

But I am curious about what you said about the neutral light. I assume the wiring for the light is separate from the neutral cutoff circuitry for the starter motor. Because the green neutral light works fine for me. It's just the starter that doesn't work in neutral.

Thanks
-uv

Electra Steve

• Scooter
  • Birdwood, South Australia
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 09:21:22 am
Hi. Don't know if this is relevant but my Electra would not start without the clutch in until I changed the relay for a different reason. I now starts in neutral without the clutch or in gear with the clutch. I did not touch the neutral sensor, it just happened. Don't you love electrics? :o
Previous rides. Many Hondas
BMW R60/2
Norton 99
NSU Supermax
2007 RE Electra
now 2021 Stellar

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:38 pm
Yes, the separate 5 speed box. For now I haven't gotten around to fixing this. I normally kickstart, so it's not urgent.

But I am curious about what you said about the neutral light. I assume the wiring for the light is separate from the neutral cutoff circuitry for the starter motor. Because the green neutral light works fine for me. It's just the starter that doesn't work in neutral.

Thanks
-uv

The neutral light wire to the switch is a live and is connected to the battery through the ignition switch. It earths through the gearbox, completing the circuit. Presumably when the circuit is made, putting the neutral light on, it also closes a relay for the starter motor.
Paul W.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:14:56 am
I might have had a brain fade regarding the above... :-[
In retrospect I might be confusing between this and the 4 speed box. The 5 speed might have both a live and an earth connection and contact might be made via the end of the switch being moved by the detent; so the circuit doesn’t earth through the gearbox casing.
Paul W.